• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

conure babies

Sazza22

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
I was wondering if it would be bad or okay to take a baby out of the nest for hand rearing a few days before the others?...

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Why would you want to hand rear a baby bird? Are you aware of the consequences for the bird?

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It depends on what your reason is for doing so. The down side is that your temperature needs to be spot on because the baby has no one else to snuggle with to warm up. However, if its a very large clutch and this one seems to be lagging behind, and you are sure your brooder maintains the temp necessary, then I see no problem with it. Sometimes with large clutches I'll pull the oldest two a few days before I pull the rest of the clutch so that the youngest gets a few days of the parents attention. I do try to always leave more than one baby with the parents though and whenever possible pull more than one for hand-feeding so that a baby is never without a sibling.

Sazza22

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
thankyou very much... i decided to just pull the both of them out. This is my first time hand raising, I have done lotssss of research though i feel there really is endless questions... I was wondering if you would be able to give me some advice on signs of them doing well and signs of them doing bad...

Sazza22

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Tiki.. i dont see what you mean sorry.... where i live many people hand rear birds... i feel doing this gives them a good bond with humans and i have done quite extensive research.. though what do you mean by consequences?

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It depends on where you live, in some countries handfeeding (unless necessary for a baby to survive) isn't allowed or is frowned upon. Handfed babies, especially only birds, tend to think they are people, and require more companionship that some owners can provide, so in some places it's considered kinder to keep them in pairs in aviaries or flight cages and not handfeed babies for tamer pets.
Also there can be bad reasons to handfeed - some larger scale breeders will pull eggs to incubate very early just to try to force the parents to lay more eggs.
There are good reasons to handfeed, too - it's easier to find good homes for tame babies, and sometimes the parent birds just don't take great care of the babies. With larger clutches, smaller babies may be forgotten unless some of the older babies are pulled to handfeed.
Leaving the babies with the parents for the first 2 weeks (or longer with larger birds) and raising them with a sibling helps them develop better and not be so over dependent on people. Or, if the parents are tame or semi-tame, co-parenting can work well. That's where you handle the babies daily, possibly offering supplemental handfeedings, but let the parents do most of the care.