• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering Orange Winged Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Good luck with Bree/Saiga. Glad she is still available - it was meant to be!:dance4:

Forgot to add that Ollie didn't know how to play when I got him, but he's now making up for lost time. He's become a voracious chewer and loves to make matchsticks out of soft wood toys (he loses interest if the wood is too hard). He also loves soft toys made out of strips of cloth, etc. He adores bells and huge bagel swings and loves to chew leather strips. He has a big sisal boing in his cage which he has decided to start chewing. I've also introduced him to foot toys and he's just learned how to hold them. I put them in a food bowl in his cage.

If you can get some natural wooden perches rather than the dowel that the cage will be supplied with, they will be better for her feet. Cajeput (paperbark) perches go down a storm here with both birds.

Last edited:

crt95

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Christine
Thank y'all for all the help.
BTW Fuzzy, I still want a blue headed pionus one day! I think they are so beautiful and I like what I've read about them they are very rare in my area and hard to find!

If you can get some natural wooden perches rather than the dowel that the cage will be supplied with, they will be better for her feet. Cajeput (paperbark) perches go down a storm here with both birds.
Advice on perches would be great. I found a pedicure type perch online called a safety perch that is suppose to help with their nails but wasn't sure if that one was good. I know with cockatiels that sand papery ones are not good so I wasn't sure if the pedicure one would be a no no. Also, do you think she would like a swing perch like the bagel swing? Or maybe just a normal swing perch? Not sure if all birds like swings. Buddy loved his! Good sleeping perches?

crt95

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Christine
So I've kind of scared myself by reading some of the rehoming articles. So I need some advice. They said that the first 2 weeks will be perfect then her true personality will come out including behavioral problems. But she doesn't seem to have any behavioral problems where she is at now and she has been there 9 months. Is there something I need to be looking for to know if she has behavioral problems? Please help with some advice on what to and expect during and after the two weeks and what to look for now!

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
There's usually always a "honeymoon" period - the 2 weeks you mentioned. There's not much you can look for now. I would ask the store if she went through that with them. Ask if she has any behavioral problems now or has in the past.

Usually after the honeymoon period, they can get feisty but not always. I never had that with Jay. My Sun Conure just got feisty and really it wasn't anything we couldn't work on. She just tries to show who's boss.

If she's as tame and sweet as it sounds, you may not have any problems and if you do, they can be worked on. There's a lot of very knowledgable people here that will help you through any problems. We are here for you!!! :).

crt95

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Christine
Thank you so much! I think I figured out that all of these articles are about very untamed or only a little bit tame birds. She is very socialized and tame from what it appears she has tons of different people holding her all the time and always comes to us willingly and doesn't run to get off unless we keep passing her around and I think she's like enough already.

I would ask the store if she went through that with them. Ask if she has any behavioral problems now or has in the past.
I'm going to ask today those two questions though! Thanks again, there's so much to learn!

crt95

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Christine
So with all the excitement I forgot to take a picture :( But she will be home soon! Sometime this week or weekend. They are closed tomorrow but we are going to pick up her cage that we paid for today, tomorrow morning since the owner lives there she'll have it outside for us to pick up. His parents are out of town and we need to borrow their truck. We got the round top cage rather then the play top so she'll have more room while we are at work plus they said she likes to hang upside down from the top! We also got a rope perch "Comfy Perch" and a natural wood perch while we where there. They said they have offered her toys in her cage but she ignores them so for now we aren't going to get any. Another bit of good news they said the reason why she was always out on the play stands is because everyone likes her cause she is sweet, friendly and fun! That she likes all of the workers and people that come in.
She did lunge a little and pinch my husbands hand lightly because she wanted to continue to stay on my shoulder and chew on my leather purse strap rather than go to him. But he told her to step up again and she went that time. He didn't back down or anything and he said it wasn't hard at all.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
How exciting!!!! I'm glad everything is going well.

I would buy some toys though. I'd have everything all set up and ready to go in her cage so she can get comfortable with it and start to learn what toys are and how to play with them.

crt95

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Christine
Can you suggest a "starter" toy?
Also, just want to make sure: the pinch on his hand is just a way of saying no I don't wanna, correct?

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Can you suggest a "starter" toy?
Also, just want to make sure: the pinch on his hand is just a way of saying no I don't wanna, correct?
Yes, she was saying "back off man!" It was good your husband didn't get flustered about it. The best thing to do is leave your hand there (even if it's a hard bite...not easy, I know!!) so she learns biting doesn't get her what she wants and makes the human go away. So it was good after the pinch that your husband made her do what he was wanting.

I'm not really sure what type of toys Amazons like, I'm sure someone else will know! I don't know if they are chewers, shredders, etc. Maybe you should make a post in the "cages and toys" forum? Then more people would see it.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
My OWA likes to chew cardboard boxes, phonebooks hung from the cagetop, stuff woven from palmfrond-like material, and wood either on ss skewers or laying on the floor (hope Mother Pluckin Bird Toys will be in our sidewalk sale!!!)
I wouldn't say she's big on toys either but she loves to chew things up. My Goffin likes to PLAY with toys, though he likes to rip up wood too like anybody.

crt95

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Christine
Thanks everyone for the help!

My OWA likes to chew cardboard boxes, phonebooks hung from the cagetop, stuff woven from palmfrond-like material, and wood either on ss skewers or laying on the floor (hope Mother Pluckin Bird Toys will be in our sidewalk sale!!!)
Finally something to do with all those phonebooks they keep dropping on our doorstep!

crt95

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Christine
I have noticed some people put perches on their cage doors would that be okay to do with her (or OW's)?

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Sure! Just make sure it's positioned to where she can't poop on it. I had one on my Greys cage and he pooped on it all the time :).

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use one of those Polly cement perches in each amazon cage. They consistently keep the nails down. So far I rarely if ever have to clip amazon nails. I either put them next to the food bowl or the water bowl and then watch the underside of the feet. Amazons can be perch potatoes when they grow up, so if the cement perch just happens to end up being the perch they like to sit on most, you have to worry about sores on the bottoms of the feet. I try to keep the top perch where they sleep the most a natural wood perch.
Melissa

crt95

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Christine
I use one of those Polly cement perches in each amazon cage. They consistently keep the nails down. So far I rarely if ever have to clip amazon nails. I either put them next to the food bowl or the water bowl and then watch the underside of the feet. Amazons can be perch potatoes when they grow up, so if the cement perch just happens to end up being the perch they like to sit on most, you have to worry about sores on the bottoms of the feet. I try to keep the top perch where they sleep the most a natural wood perch.
Melissa
Thanks Melissa I was wondering where to put them! :lol:I was already told she is a perch potato!
Do your Amazon's play with toys or forage? Any recommendations for those?

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Jimmy-My now 27 year old rescued OWA-was a perch potato but not by choice:(He was kept in a very small cage with one perch and one toy:(I do not think He even knew how to play or fly! Since He has been with me,He has learned how to fly(and he does it often). He has also discovered the joy of toys:) He loves wooden foot toys,Any kind of hanging toy with a bell(he will hang upside down off it and play! It Has done My heart SO good to see him blossom into such a Friendly playful companion:heart:He will also eat just about anything He is given-Just ask Billie Faye and James(LOL) Jimmy is a beggar:hug8:

crt95

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Christine
Thanks Boonie! I do know she likes to hang from the top upside down. We are going to start with some foot toys while she is on her play stand. We are also going to get one of those bungie things with a bell on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.