• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering a Sun

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Hello all,

I have a few questions about Sun conures and would like to hear from people who have both a Jenday conure and a Sun conure if there is anyone here that has both. I already have a Jenday conure so I know all about noisy birds and noise doesn't bother me in the least. The only concern I have is if my Jenday would get jealous of a new addition of a Sun conure or would the Sun conure become jealous of my Jenday?

Would it become too much as far time sharing with me? And how different is a Sun conure personality from a Jenday? I just want to be able to give both equal attention without one feeling left out.

I'm home all day and spend my entire day with my birds so I do not have to worry about bored birds while I'm off working.

If anyone can help, especially those who have both together or have experience with both could give me a little insight on the Sun conure.

Thanks so much!

Tricia

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Suns and jendays should not be very different in character as they are closely related. As for whether one bird would be jealous of the other, it's like asking, if one has two kids, will they be jealous. No one really knows the answer to that. Depends on the bird, and depends on the owner. What do you mean by "too much"? Everyone has different tolerance levels/capabilities, so that is very subjective. I have three small conures, and I do not find it "too much" to deal with them.

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Thanks for your response, I should clarify by too much I meant as far as both being able to have equal time with me without it becoming overwhelming. I just don't want to create a chaotic environment for the two birds to where they become stressed over sharing time with me.

I guess you're right birds are individuals and I won't know until I get one what the sun will be like. My Jenday is very attached to me which is why I worried about jealousy between them.

I'm glad they are quite similar in character!

Ammers

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I would be more worried about if the Jenday becomes Bonded to the Sun and lost interest in you. I'm lucky that my bird hates me and everyone else, so it becoming bonded to my new GCC that is coming soon, would be good, because then he'd have a friend.

As for the jealousy, I was told to spend 10-15 minutes alone with each twice a day to prevent that and when you're all together after the Quarantine period, to make sure if one has, say a grape, make sure the other one has a grape. Or, two of the same toy, ect. :)

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Ammers

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Oh, and make sure they're housed in different cages! (Sorry if you already knew this... Just taking precaution)

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Oh yes, they will be in different cages. I put a deposit down on a 6 week old Sunday -Sun/Jenday cross. I went in looking for a Sun and the pet store worker handed me a baby Sunday.. well after holding him I was hooked! He/she has a month yet to get weaned before it can come home. I put in an order for DNA test so I'll wait on that for a name.

I took some photos today and I'm hoping to take more at the next visitation.

Do you have photos of your new baby?

Ammers

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Oh yes, they will be in different cages. I put a deposit down on a 6 week old Sunday -Sun/Jenday cross. I went in looking for a Sun and the pet store worker handed me a baby Sunday.. well after holding him I was hooked! He/she has a month yet to get weaned before it can come home. I put in an order for DNA test so I'll wait on that for a name.

I took some photos today and I'm hoping to take more at the next visitation.

Do you have photos of your new baby?
Nope. I haven't got it yet and am having to go through a Pet store that knows the breeder because of how rare Conures are here. I won't see it at all until the end of april/may.

Ammers

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Oh how nice! I bet you're excited!
Yep ^-^ I am. He's my Medication because my Jenday is highly untame. This new Conure will be able to go out with me into stores to help me focus on him, limiting my stress and decreasing my seizures ^-^ (Good thing they do Bird Diapers!) Then I can come home and have some time with Jet-Star <3 Going to town Thursday to pick up some Bowls for the new bird. I currently have the cage, Activity Ladder and a Rope ring swing thing xD I can't wait <3

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Wow! You're all set! I just ordered my new Sunday's cage and I need to get toys yet. Have you tossed around any possible names?

Birds are good therapy I can attest to that!

Ammers

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Wow! You're all set! I just ordered my new Sunday's cage and I need to get toys yet. Have you tossed around any possible names?

Birds are good therapy I can attest to that!
I haven't tossed around a few, kinda going for a set. My new one will be named Kobra Kid :) Then when I have the money and time, I'll be getting 2 more Hamsters that I shall call Fun-Ghoul and Party - Poison ^-^ They're the Superhero Persona's that the bane My Chemical Romance used in their Danger Days Album :)

Have you thought of a new name for your Sunday? (I'd like to warn you that Hybrids sometimes suffer health issues, so, just be careful ^-^)

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
I have a Sun conure and he's absolutely wonderful, smart and totally spoiled. Congratulations!
I'm very excited! He's definitely more Sun than Jenday, he has an orange head with yellow splotches on his green wings. His call is all Sun.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have a Sun and wouldn't trade her for the world. She's affectionate, perceptive, etc. just a sweet baby :cool:

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Have you thought of a new name for your Sunday? (I'd like to warn you that Hybrids sometimes suffer health issues, so, just be careful ^-^)
Oh I didn't know that! Even if they are from the same genera? An aratinga
bred with another aratinga? I could see problems with an aratinga and Pyrrhua mix, but Suns and Jendays are very similar types of birds.

Yes, I have some names but I'm waiting on the DNA test. Definitely Chico for male, possibly Sarita for a female.

Kobra kid is a cute name for a GCC! I like your other pets name as well!

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
I have a Sun and wouldn't trade her for the world. She's affectionate, perceptive, etc. just a sweet baby :cool:
People who have Suns definitely seem to adore them! I think a lot of them get rehomed because people didn't research the bird beforehand and just wanted a pretty bird. Noise is fine where I live, my Jenday can be loud at times and my neighborhood is noisy wreck besides lol

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have yet to hear of any health problems in sunday conures... and there are probably *hundreds* of hybrids out there that are mistakenly called suns or jendays. Not a fan of the hybrid myself, because of that reason. People don't realize they have a hybrid, then set the hybrids up with a pure species, producing even more hybrids!

I'm not against the birds themselves, just wish that all hybrids could easily be identified *AS* a hybrid, rather than mistaken for a pure species. :)

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Yes, I can definitely see where that can be a problem. You're right!