• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
It's bad enough there is hardly any good information on the web (or any where really) about Indian Ringnecks

but I just read this page and I'm more confused NOW then what I was before reading it

Sexing Your Ringneck Parrot

it states this form of sexing isn't 100% right - which I know and understand that part

but it states this for males

if you wish to sex your parrot before 17 months without DNA sexing, and before the ring has come, you can do so by the behavior of your parrot. A male ringneck will open his wings slightly in the shape of a heart and bow. His eyes will pin (the pupil will get small) as he does this little display. Try placing your ringneck in front of a mirror and see if it displays.
and this for females

Female ringnecks do not display like male ringnecks. Instead, they usually display by clucking and tilting their head back. Like the male rignecks, their eyes will pin too. Most females will display around 1 year. This is a pefect way to sex your yound female without DNA sexing.
So are they saying Females DO NOT open their wings out in a heart?

Because Kaycee does (she's a year and 1 month old) she does the Heart wings, eye pinning, and makes a odd noise, she will do this to toys, her bells , even just her cage itself - she also throws in a hop every now and again when doing it

I've tried to get her on video to no avail, she stops as soon as she sees what I'm doing.

but she has been doing it a lot more in the last couple months

also it says

however, a slight green ring can be seen around the female’s neck. Female ringnecks are much stockier and have thicker feet. Their face is more rounded and their beak is not as prominent
Kaycee has a bright green ring its been there for a long time - it's like florescent compared to the rest of her green

how do you tell if a beak is "prominent" ?

ferdinand

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
:lol: I think they are saying the females' beaks aren't as prominent or big as the males?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
This is why I dont take just one site's information:lol:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Keiba does the heart shape wings whilst pinning his eyes as well.. he also sways from side to side at the same time, he does it to a toy he has in his cage that has a bell on the bottom of it, he LOVES his bells. :rolleyes: But we don't know the sex yet, we just say he.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
This is why I dont take just one site's information:lol:

I don't normally, but its the only website i've found that talks about male vs. Female behavior

but I finally got a video just have to uplaod it, she wasn't being as noisy as normal though

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Keiba does the heart shape wings whilst pinning his eyes as well.. he also sways from side to side at the same time, he does it to a toy he has in his cage that has a bell on the bottom of it, he LOVES his bells. :rolleyes: But we don't know the sex yet, we just say he.
does he make any types of noises while doing it? sometimes Kaycee makes kissing noises, sometimes I guess it could be called clucking LOL and sometimes its just an off the wall sound i only hear her make while doing it

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

but I finally got a video just have to uplaod it, she wasn't being as noisy as normal though
Isnt that typical of a bird when being viewed by the camera. I cant explain how many times I whipped out a camera to record my bird's cute antics, and then they are just interested in the camera...:rolleyes::hehe:

Cant wait to see the video!

How many IRN do you have?

I've always wondered the difference in personality and characteristics in male and female IRN.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
just Kaycee

which makes it even harder to compare its not easy comparing pictures - at least not for me I do better when I can see what i'm comparing in person lol

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Ok hopefully this works :) this is her video of her Displaying - normally she makes more noise while doing it though

I'm uploading her Hoping around videos too but I'll post those in the pic/video section because those are just of her playing around

YouTube - Kaycee displaying 6 2 10.avi

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Agreed there is little to NO information on Ringnecks! Ive been searching high and low for a book, and I cant a single one!!!

But why dont you just have her DNA tested? Only cost me $50 bucks and weeks wait.

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
The male IRN that is still at the breeder and is 4 months ish old (DNA'd male) does that same hop. I paid $20 for my DNA test :)

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I don't DNA, I've been told by several different people (different states far apart) that when their bird was DNA tested it ended up being wrong

so we use our way with the nut and string (which isn't 100% either but so far as far as i know out of 100+ birds its only been wrong twice)

or we surgical sex (both my blue Quakers were surgically sexed) or we just wait until they're old enough to know because most of my birds you can tell once they get a certain age lol

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
You sex your birds with a nut and a string?:huh: Bad mental image:p Please explain what you do.:o:

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
You sex your birds with a nut and a string?:huh: Bad mental image:p Please explain what you do.:o:

LOL I was wondering the same myself.

I have also heard of DNA tests being wrong. I have no evidence to support this though.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
lol It's nothing bad so no bad images in your heads ;)

you tie a nut to a string, hold it over the birds head - of course this is a lot easier when the bird holds still, and doesn't want to play with the nut LOL

you do not move it, if its moving because you made it move or the bird made it move You stop it (usually helps if ya got a helper to help you do it) then wait usually within 2-5 seconds it starts moving on its own

circles is female
Back and forth(like left to right/ right to left) is males

Our Nut and String

Male Parakeet being "tested" We know he's male for 2 reasons One being the blue cere , 2 being when the video was taken he was a daddy for the 1st time :)

Videos Of The birds :: Sky bieng sex is a true male video by RednecksDoItBest - Photobucket

Female Parakeet being "tested" Cere is brown and crusty of a female budgie in Breeding mode and she was a mom when the video was taken

Videos Of The birds :: Minnie bieng sexed is a true female video by RednecksDoItBest - Photobucket

I chose to video tape these 2 to show we knew their sexes already but the Nut goes in Circles for the female (2nd video) and back and forth for the male (1st video)

this has actually been done for years, its how they sexed chickens

plus my b/fs dad has sexed all his pigeons this way and he's been raising them for over 30 years

it's also the same concept of a pregnant woman having a needle and thread, or a thread with a ring held over her belly to see if she's going to have a boy or a girl I know when family did it to me both times I was pregnant, it was right both times

but it doesn't work for every one, My b/fs dad has had people over and wanted to try it, had a couple, The woman tried it the nut wouldn't move at all, Her husband did it and it moved within seconds

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
FASCINATING! Im going to give it a try :D

Do I need a "nut"? Would a ring or anything round work?

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
That is awesome! I'm going to try it on Keiba and then one of my 'tiels I know the definite sex of.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
a ring would probably work too since thats what most ppl use on pregnant women

its just my b/fs dads is a nut and string so thats what we used

they actually sell them some where online I couldn't believe it When you can make your own for free, I'll see if i can find that page again

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
oh that's interesting. I'm going to try that too lol

Status
Not open for further replies.