• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Confused over sex of linnie

Caza66

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
i have a mauve linnie, 'hettie' was paired up with Archie when I got them in 2010. One of them laid eggs but it was always hettie that sat on them, so I assumed she was female. Archie died in October 2013. Hettie then paired up with Raddy, known female as she had been egg bound previously. Last year they both took up in one nest box and there were 13 eggs, so again, I'm thinking they were both female. Today I saw hettie 'mate' with mavi, another female.

I'm still inclined to think that hettie is female but just looking for confirmation.

My set up is a colony in an outside aviary, consisting of 6 females and 4 male linnies. Is this mix ok, I don't want too many males to females do I?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
With budgies, you generally want more males than females.... however, I don't know how well linnies do in colony breeding as compared to budgies.

Two birds of the same sex can, and do, mate! So that doesn't necessarily mean a thing! LOL

I once had two male budgies that "paired up" because there were no hens. Both attempted to mate with the other, but since neither one wanted the bottom position, well, that's all it was... an attempt!

I've also seen a female budgie serenade another female budgie, even though *SHE* had a male mate. (said male - one of the previous ones mentioned - had turned a Happy Hut into a Humpy Hut... ya, he wasn't getting A-N-Y action!!!) :rofl:

I know someone local to me, a breeder, purchase two cherry headed conures and decided, without DNA sexing, that they were a m/f pair. They share a nestbox together, they lay eggs, do everything together..... except, the eggs never hatch! Said breeder also believes that my MITRED conure is part cherry head. :bash:I may be young, but that doesn't mean I'm ignorant! :laughing2: