• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conflicted

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
We have a G2 and a Quaker. Along with dogs. Recently we’ve had changes to our schedule that does not allow us to get our G2 out everyday like she needs to be. I posted on the rehome page a couple weeks ago. Other than that I’ve not posted her anywhere else. One of my local friends new someone interested in her. So I had her and her husband come to meet her. Our G2 is shy around new people and didn’t even wanna come out of the cage when they were here. This couple were willing to make several visits to get her use to them. Anyway, I gues after they left we felt bad for our G2 that we are considering rehoming her. Since she’s so shy and only goes to my hubby and I. I wouldn’t feel this way if she came out and flew to the person. Is this stupid to feel this way?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
It's not stupid to feel that way at all. How is she coping with the change in schedule, and how long has this been going on?

Some parrots may be adaptable and learn to be OK with changes. In those cases, it would be better for them to stay in their current home. Some may really need a new home, although there's no guarantee the new home will always keep its same schedule/dynamic forever, either.

For whatever it's worth, there have been some days I don't have the time to get my CAG out of her cage.

Good luck.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's not stupid to feel that way. You can always try having the people come over one more time and see what you think. Or just give it some more time and see how your schedules go and how she does.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds can adapt to changes in schedules. Even though you can't give her as much time as you used to you can still give her whatever time you have available. It's probably better to go that route than to rehome her. I think rehoming would be a lot harder on her.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I once heard it like this: If your best friend got a new job and couldn't spend as much time with you, would you rather they pushed you out of their life or did their best to spend what time they had visiting with you?

Of course it's not possible to reason with a bird and explain what is happening. But they can and do adjust to changes in schedule.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I am a retail manager and my schedule is always changing. I had a period of time when I was working back to back shifts and could only let him out every other day. This week has been miserable as I have not seen Fred since Monday! But as soon as I got home today I let him out, he will stay out as long as he wants and I have the next 3 days off, so he's getting lots of out of cage time. And I just got a bunch of new foot toys from Bird Nerds today! He will now have more things to do! Rehoming for me is out of the question. I do believe he will adapt to schedule changes just fine.
Do the G2 & Quaker have their cages in the same place? If so they both have company. My lovebirds talk and chatter with Fred all the time! If they get out of hand he screeches and they shut up! Lol!

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
We have a G2 and a Quaker. Along with dogs. Recently we’ve had changes to our schedule that does not allow us to get our G2 out everyday like she needs to be. I posted on the rehome page a couple weeks ago. Other than that I’ve not posted her anywhere else. One of my local friends new someone interested in her. So I had her and her husband come to meet her. Our G2 is shy around new people and didn’t even wanna come out of the cage when they were here. This couple were willing to make several visits to get her use to them. Anyway, I gues after they left we felt bad for our G2 that we are considering rehoming her. Since she’s so shy and only goes to my hubby and I. I wouldn’t feel this way if she came out and flew to the person. Is this stupid to feel this way?
No, it is perfectly normal, and I have a feeling you will end up keeping her. :) I have had that feeling for awhile now. There is no possible way that these birds will ever get as much attention as they want, because as humans, we can only do so much.

Whether you think you are giving her enough time, doesn't seem to matter to her. She is happy with both of you.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If you love her, keep her!

In my Goffins 25 yzrs with me i hzve worked grave yard, days, and swings. 3 day weeks to 6 day weeks. Homes on land to a mobile home to apartments.

You know her life is safe with you. Nothing else is certain.
Life is always changing.

I hate typing on my kindle, forgive the typos.

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
@Nancy B Yes our G2 and Quakers cages are beside each other in our living room/ kitchen area. We have a open floor plan so our kitchen, funding area son living are all one big space.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you trying to rehome your bird because you feel bad or because the bird feels bad? Birds can adapt if you haven’t spoiled it rotten. Mine don’t get out every day. It’s more about quality time than quantity in my experience. You can do a lot with a decent sized cage, rotating toys and foraging toys. Also, I’d probably not rehome a bird unless the prospective owners were able to show me they could handle the bird.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Who says a goffin needs to come out every day? Mine doesn’t. Ideally they come out every day. But the world isn’t perfect. I’d hesitate to recommend you rehome your bird because you feel bad when at this point you have no direct evidence that your bird also feels bad. Putting her through the stress and uncertainty of rehoming because you feel bad might not be fair to the bird. Humans are fickle. Rehoming her may not put her long term in a better home. If she fails to meet expectations in her new home or fulfill the new owners emotional needs, then she’s likely to be rehomed again. Or the new people could also have a schedule change and again rehome her. There is something to be said for staying the course and making it work. If you truly feel the bird is unhappy in your home (make sure you can tell that it’s not your unhappiness that you are projecting onto the bird) then I can understand rehoming. If it’s just you projecting but the bird otherwise seems happy, then rehoming to make yourself feel better might be a little selfish. Only you know your situation.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I think many owners, new ones especially. feel they aren't doing 'good enough'.
No one does good enough!
IMO almost anyone who comes to a bird board asking for help and advice is doing as well and probably better than most owners out there.
If you are aware your bird needs more, you're way ahead of most.
I can't count the times when I had my bird out and about that I heard 'You take you bird out?' Wow, mine's never even been out of the cage.
At the store, Wow you eat healthy. I'm like no...the mac and cheese is mine, all these veggies and beans are for the birds.
You are so far ahead already. Do not think another home will be better. Statistically, you're bird is better off with you.
If you can find a needle in a haystack (a person like the people on here), then maybe rehoming wouldn't be terrible.
In most cases the bird does not stay in the new home long, and if so, it's not better than the 'loving' home who didn't have enough time.
Give yourself a break. You and your Goffin can weather the ups and downs of life.

If your bird is not in a back room, or in the cellar with a blanket thrown across the cage to mute the noise, you don't go down every few days to fill the feed and water dishes, your bird has toys and multiple perch types, your bird has a name, and knows it's loved, it's better off than so many I've seen.

Many on here are the cream of the crop of bird owners.
You do not have to compete with them.
The real world does not see many of these types of owners.

Don't feel discouraged when you see the wonderful setups, the fabulous toys, the custom cooking going on. Don't feel you have to be just like them.
If you are, that's fantastic.
If you're not, that's OK too.

Love and care for you bird. T
hen you're a winner.

Last edited:

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
@macawpower58 your post literally made me tear up! Thank you I needed to hear that. I guess I’m not doing such a bad job after all. She has toys, a large cage in our living room, healthy food and I get her out everyday for at least 2 hours. So maybe I’m just over thinking everything. I know she loves us and is very bonded with us. Your words really mean a lot to me.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Birds do adapt to schedules but the most important thing to remember is that birds pick up on our emotions. They can tell when you are happy, stressed, etc. As I mentioned in a previous post, Valentine was just out of quarantine when I moved here and we didn't have time to bond but because I am her flock and we were sharing a journey, she was fine, no problems. You are their flock, she loves you both and vice versa, nothing will change the bond you have. So don't fret, she will be fine with your different schedules

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
@macawpower58 I guess I’m not doing such a bad job after all.

You are doing just fine. I think most on here have had the same thoughts once or twice.
In my 24 years of having birds, you can bet there's been times I've wondered if my birds wouldn't be better off elsewhere.
Luckily someone told me, the same thing I've just told you.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
You are doing just fine. I think most on here have had the same thoughts once or twice.
In my 24 years of having birds, you can bet there's been times I've wondered if my birds wouldn't be better off elsewhere.
Luckily someone told me, the same thing I've just told you.

Ditto -