• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Cone Coping

Gypsy girl

Moving in
Good day everyone, I'm in need of advice. My 1 yr old male cockatiel got a cone today to not self mutilate his broken toe. He freaks out now and then, because he's not used to it. He's currently on 3 day pain meds as well. Where do I temporarily house hom? Cage or carrier? He's deathly afraid of the cage, because he got hurt there. He's much calmer in the carrier? And how do I place food and water bowls? Please help?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello, I have my little guy with a collar on in a tiny travel cage.
If your bird is more comfortable in the carrier, leave him in there. You can use a small ramekin for water, and another or a small saucer for food.
My birds is able to eat from small foodbowls so I think your little one can also manage from a ramekin.

Gypsy girl

Moving in
Hello, I have my little guy with a collar on in a tiny travel cage.
If your bird is more comfortable in the carrier, leave him in there. You can use a small ramekin for water, and another or a small saucer for food.
My birds is able to eat from small foodbowls so I think your little one can also manage from a ramekin.
Hello, thank you so much for your helpful advice. I think we have something close to a ramekin bowl, otherwise I can use a plastic bowl of similar shape. Something not too deep, as he tends to scream and fall around when he freaks out. I think the cone is still strange/foreign to him. Vet said it might take 2 days for him to get used to it. I'm thinking of putting a kitchen towel on top of his blankie, so he doesn't mess on it, and still stays warm. Is there anything else I can do to keep him as comfy as possible?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Gypsy girl

Moving in
He is at the moment too stressed/scared to eat, so that's my big worry. Any tips on that please? I'm currently at work, so will try feeding him millet this afternoon. My dad's currently keeping an eye on him, trying to encourage him to eat. We gave him pain meds, so he's a little out of it as well. So any advice as to get him to eat, I will greatly appreciate. I'll buy 2 ramekin bowls today, so he can perch on it and eat. He doesn't like standing on the actual perches though, ge freaks out and tends to fall off. So he's currently in the carrier, with his favorite toy and blankie.

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
:( Poor baby. Does he normally like to eat infront of you guys? If that's the case you could try eating in front of him while giving him his favorite foods. Besides millet, you could offer freshly cooked rice or pasta if he likes that. Something soft and warm might be more appetizing.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Im curious. What did the vet do for his toe, cast, splint? I have a white cockatiel that looks just like yours. A couple of weeks ago I noticed his one to was dislocated at the joint. I took him to the vet and they did nothing for it. They said as long as hes not favoring it or biting at it, it will be ok. Even before the vet visit, you would never know he had anything wrong. He does and always did move around in his cage faster than all of my other cockatiels. I hope the little guy heals quickly. It heart breaking when they get injured.