• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concerns about getting sick at the vet

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I took Blu in for a nail trim today and while in the waiting room a lady just barged her way right over to us and showed her bird to Blu.

I couldn't move away because I was seated and it was crowded. I asked if her bird was sick and why they were there, expecting her to say something something benign. But she said her bird has an infection and the Dr gave them some probiotics.

Ugh! :shake:

As soon as she left and the vet tech came by me I gestured to her that I wanted to ask her something and whispered to her that I was concerned that the lady had a sick bird and came close to us. I asked her if I should be worried and she said it should be ok since they didn't come in that close contact.

The vet tech is really experienced with birds and I want to believe her but I'm still a tiny bit worried. Can Blu get sick from them being about 4 feet away?

And also, for future reference, how do you politely tell other bird owners at the vet to stay the heck away from you, in a polite way?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I guess I would not have been polite. "If your bird is sick stay away from other people with birds" I would ask the vet if your bird is at risk.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I guess I would not have been polite. "If your bird is sick stay away from other people with birds" I would ask the vet if your bird is at risk.
I guess it's hard for me to not be polite unless someone repeatedly pushes me past my breaking point. Haha.

I would have asked the vet but we did not see a vet today and they were really busy. I believe the vet tech now since I got confirmation. She's been a vet tech for over 20 years too.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Wow, that lady was something else. I'm sorry you and Blu went through that.:hug8:

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Sorry that happened to you and Blu.

I had a fool husky dog owner bring his dog over to say hello to my Lorikeet in the vet waiting room just recently. It scared the heck out of Butch (lorikeet) and I threw myself in front of the cage as a barrier as soon as I realised the dog owner's intention. That got the message across, but I just don't know how that guy ever thought it was a good idea for that huge dog to be encouraged to stick its nose near a little bird's cage. Moments later, the owner had to hurriedly leave the waiting room after his dog went into full attack mode upon seeing another dog in the room.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Sorry that happened to you and Blu.

I had a fool husky dog owner bring his dog over to say hello to my Lorikeet in the vet waiting room just recently. It scared the heck out of Butch (lorikeet) and I threw myself in front of the cage as a barrier as soon as I realised the dog owner's intention. That got the message across, but I just don't know how that guy ever thought it was a good idea for that huge dog to be encouraged to stick its nose near a little bird's cage. Moments later, the owner had to hurriedly leave the waiting room after his dog went into full attack mode upon seeing another dog in the room.
What are the odds? I saw an out of control husky in the waiting room today too! It was only 5 months old so not a huge threat. But I thought to myself that these owners are conditioning this beautiful dog to be a problem dog once it's a little older.
I'm glad that Butch was unharmed. It sorry that you guys had to experience that too. :unsure1: