• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Completely out of character behavior

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
My senegal, George, a 9 year old male, who hasn't got a mean bone in his body just bit my mom hard and tried to bite me when he got territorial about his food dish. He's never done this before in 9 years that I've known him. He's always been a sweetheart.

I'm hoping this was an isolated incident.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well, it is hormone season, so maybe he's just cranky..

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My guess too! This happens w/ my MRHA who has been just plain territorial last few days. He is nice enough to me where I get a warning dart. Or the behavior of a barking dog sort of thing. I rearranged his cage after the last Hot to Cold snap. Seemed to aggravate for the evening play time, but by morning it had settled & seemed to help. Although my daughter said he went after her 2 times trying to bite. In the car she said. "I don't think I'm his Girlfriend anymore! I think he just broke up w/me! *smiling again thinking about her comment!* Initially I was :rofl:

Good luck with your fid!

:hug9: Rain

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
George has bitten about five more times since last night. I have figured out it has to do with food. If I'm touching his food or water dish while he's nearby he will nail me. The food dish was near my mom last night when he bit her.
I'll just avoid touching his food while he's looking and hopefully we can put the bitey nonsense behind us...

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you able to change the dish locations? My cage area I cannot... But when Buddy is aggressive I try to either spin the cage orientation, or change or move his toys. This does not stop it completely. It helps a bunch. Also changing the day to day helps, like a bathing day, vrs a normal day. I spend awhile bathing him, some general weekly cage cleaning. Then I bathe, which he is so close to that area of his current room. So, I am constantly going into & out of the room for a few hours. It seems to help some of the boredom I think. I got the idea from a posting I read. I believe it was a JLCribber suggestion but I could be wrong. I just looked All over the threads where *I thought* it was & cannot locate. Sorry!

I know for me reading it in context helps, I will keep my eyes open for it. I'm new to birds so if this is a really bad idea, someone should say. I know my Buddy's issue is directly mating w/ some possible underlying meaness I am trying to work out.

Wish I could be more help!

Hugs, Rain

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Might not be an issue, but sometimes when birds display character that is not like them, it could be a medical issue.... so biting over food could potentially mean something more...

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Might not be an issue, but sometimes when birds display character that is not like them, it could be a medical issue.... so biting over food could potentially mean something more...
As it turns out my poor baby is sick. I took him to the vet today. He's on medication now. I made a thread about it in the sick bird forum. I hope my baby gets well soon. I love him so much.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In light of finding out that George isn't feeling well you probably have your answer as to why he's been so cranky.

I'm sure he'll be back to his pleasant self soon..

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Haven't seen the thread, but at least you know now. Hope he gets well quickly!