• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Companion for my cockatiel??

ckiehl26

Meeting neighbors
I currently have a 6y/o female cockatiel who is the sweetest thing ever. She's super calm and attached to me--all she wants to do is cuddle and get head rubs! However, I'm a student and live in an apartment so I'm gone a good bit (I'm still able to interact with her for a few hours each day) but she screams when I'm gone. One of my roommates is really good with her so she'll go in and play music for her on my Alexa and that usually helps a little but I get so worried that she's lonely when I'm gone and feel guilty whenever I'm not home. I've been thinking about getting her another female cockatiel to keep each other company. I know it's no guarantee that they will like each other, but I feel like just having another bird would help her not be lonely. advice???

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I feel like I read somewhere that having two females can be difficult because they can get territorial, but I can’t remember fully. Maybe @sunnysmom might know?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I feel like I read somewhere that having two females can be difficult because they can get territorial, but I can’t remember fully. Maybe @sunnysmom might know?
Two females cockatiels can do fine together. In general, cockatiels are pretty laid back. However, you should always go into getting a second bird planning on housing them separately. It can take a little time for birds to get used to each other and some may never want to share a cage. I have 2 boys and although I think one might be okay with sharing a cage, it's a hard no for the other. But they're definitely company for each other and do flock things like eat at the same time, nap at the same time etc.

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have two females, but I've only introduced them a couple of weeks ago. The new one is also just under a year old so I am not sure if things will change in a year.

So far, both are getting along pretty well. The newer cockatiel (Vista) follows the other one (Candela) everywhere like a puppy, which can be stressful after a while. Luckily, Vista is slowly learning to give Candela some space. No one is being mean or aggressive. I have also heard about females being territorial, so it is especially important that they have their own cages (territories). At the moment both birds will go to the other's cage without defensiveness from the other.

I think if they have separate cages and you introduce them slowly then they will work things out even if they don't become best friends. From their first meeting (Vista in her cage, Candela outside) they would stretch their wings at the same time, preen at the same time, and wanted to share food. :)