• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Companion for Dove?

CindyM

Checking out the neighborhood
I rescued a white ring neck dove. She was the only survivor after the owner went to hospital then assisted living. Apparently the bird caretaker abandoned them. I’ve had her for 5 years, living inside in a large parrot cage.
I’m just wondering about getting a companion for her. I’ve been offered a baby (just hatched yesterday, so it will be awhile , if all goes well, before I can get it.)
Do you think it’ll be ok to put a baby with her? I don’t know how old she is.
I’m also concerned what if the baby turns out to be male, as I don’t want them to have babies.
She has never laid an egg. But the vet confirmed she thought she’s female. .....
I have no experience with doves!
Only 2 cockatiels and an African grey
( RIP all 3 )
Ms Dove is sweet and coos responsively to me , & lets me pick her up ( but doesn’t seem to love that & isn’t comfortable with petting or scritches) I don’t know if she’s exactly “ bonded” to me. It seems to me she might enjoy another dove.
Any input much appreciated.

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Birds who allopreen more in the wild seem to form stronger bonds with humans than those that don't allopreen as much... which goes for parrots, too.

IMO, another dove may be beneficial to her. If you are worried about the chick being male and breeding, you could set up a second cage (which is a good idea regardless). Now, even if they never live together, having another dove could encourage your girl to lay eggs - they just wont be fertile.

You could always try searching out for a female dove if the current chick ends up being male or you could get the chick, regardless of gender and discourage any breeding behavior in an attempt to discourage nesting and egg laying.

She's lovely! :) Welcome to the forum!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
She is very pretty!! Welcome to the forum!!:welcomeavenue:

@Staff could someone move this to Bird Boulevard or Poultry Row maybe so more people will see it?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Cindy :starshower1:

Your dove is very beautiful :cloud9:

I moved your thread into the bird section of the site so more members see your question :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Your dove is lovely.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Welcome to AA, and that is such a cute picture of your sweet bird!

CindyM

Birds who allopreen more in the wild seem to form stronger bonds with humans than those that don't allopreen as much... which goes for parrots, too.

IMO, another dove may be beneficial to her. If you are worried about the chick being male and breeding, you could set up a second cage (which is a good idea regardless). Now, even if they never live together, having another dove could encourage your girl to lay eggs - they just wont be fertile.

You could always try searching out for a female dove if the current chick ends up being male or you could get the chick, regardless of gender and discourage any breeding behavior in an attempt to discourage nesting and egg laying.

She's lovely! :) Welcome to the forum!
Thank you

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Welcome to the site! And hey, don’t discount yourself!
I’ve had her for 5 years
I have no experience with doves!
You have five years experience and one look at that beautiful girl tells me you have done great! I think getting her a dove companion is an excellent idea ;) Adding a bird is always an adjustment, but I am positive you will do wonderfully with two doves!

CindyM

Welcome to the Avenue Cindy :starshower1:

Your dove is very beautiful :cloud9:

I moved your thread into the bird section of the site so more members see your question :)
Thank you ! I’ve not used forums before.

CindyM

Welcome to the site! And hey, don’t discount yourself!

You have five years experience and one look at that beautiful girl tells me you have done great! I think getting her a dove companion is an excellent idea ;) Adding a bird is always an adjustment, but I am positive you will do wonderfully with two doves!
Aw thank you so much

TwoTinyTrees

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
She a beauty! I have to agree I think a buddy will be good for her :)