• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Companion birds. How to make sure they will love me

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
Hello, everyone!
I'm not a bird owner (yet), but, after a lot of research, I feel like I'm getting somewhere.

Quick info about me: I live alone in an apartment, which is unoccupied from 7:30 am to 5:00 pm.
That being said, I've decided (advised by some of you guys), to get two birds instead of one. And since they will both be babies, they will stay in the same cage.
As for species, I'm probably getting two cockatiels, two males (if you read the other treads I've started, you'll notice I really wanted ringnecks, and although they do fascinante me, I decided they were not for me... yet. Since I live in an apartment and don't have experience with birds). I don't like the idea of calling a bird "started bird", or "begginer's bird"... but from what I researched, cockatiels are more "easy going", less moody, and not so loud... so, yeah, cockatiels seem to be the right bird for me right now.

But one thing worries me a bit...
As I said, I'm getting both birds at the same time, they will not have had any contact with me before getting to know each other... I worry they will not care for me at all.
How do I make sure they will both love and care about me?

Getting only one bird is most likely not an option... It wouldn't be fair to it. I also don't want to house them in separeted cages (becasue what would be the point? They wouldn't be able to fully interact...)

I've read that many people have problems when they get to birds (or even when they introduce a second bird)... They say their birds don't want to be with them... some don't want to live their cages or feel very unconfortable around humans...
That really scares me...

So, what are your advices? How do I avoid that? I want to know and be prepared to do the right thing when I finally have them at my home....

(sorry for any grammar mistakes, english is not my first language)

BirbyHouse

Strolling the yard
I did the same as you, we went to the breeder intending to get one bird, but came back with 2! Nutmeg and Tango were both hand raised and spent individual time with people, so that would probably have an impact.

When we got them, I don't think we let them out for about 3 days as they were straight up terrified of any human passing their cage (still are with strangers) but when we let them out, gave them one sprig of millet (probably too much) and rested our hands besides them and buy the end of the day had them both cuddling up with us.

After that day, let them out to hug and cuddle and to this day, still like us. Although now, they are eleven months old have been going through biting stages, and both of them really don't like people touching them, but they are starting to like it more. But both of them, on a daily basis love coming out and just sitting on us (and if we're lucky, towelled by blankets and hugged)

In short, birds will probably like you, at least to some extent, if not try general eating out of hand, human = positive and the general taming techniques. And as a warning, careful when they mature.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I think two birds is nice for them, especially if they will be alone during the day.
You need two cages in case they fight. I wouldn't recommend putting two birds together if they aren't bonded.

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
I did the same as you, we went to the breeder intending to get one bird, but came back with 2! Nutmeg and Tango were both hand raised and spent individual time with people, so that would probably have an impact.

When we got them, I don't think we let them out for about 3 days as they were straight up terrified of any human passing their cage (still are with strangers) but when we let them out, gave them one sprig of millet (probably too much) and rested our hands besides them and buy the end of the day had them both cuddling up with us.

After that day, let them out to hug and cuddle and to this day, still like us. Although now, they are eleven months old have been going through biting stages, and both of them really don't like people touching them, but they are starting to like it more. But both of them, on a daily basis love coming out and just sitting on us (and if we're lucky, towelled by blankets and hugged)

In short, birds will probably like you, at least to some extent, if not try general eating out of hand, human = positive and the general taming techniques. And as a warning, careful when they mature.
thank you for your answer!

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
I think two birds is nice for them, especially if they will be alone during the day.
You need two cages in case they fight. I wouldn't recommend putting two birds together if they aren't bonded.
yeah, as I said, the plan is to get two birds!
They will propably be two baby brothers, so I guess they will be bonded... I don't think it's a bad idea to let them in one cage, but I might get a backup one just in case...

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I agree on getting a back-up cage. Even if they do become best buddies, you may need the second. Geralt and Triss are bonded, but needed to be separated because he required a cone for medical reasons.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I have four tiels, and they all live in individual cages. A couple of my birds are kind of pesty towards each other, and I can tell they love having their own cages where they can get away from getting bothered. They still really enjoy having each other’s company when I am not home. If you spend time individually with each bird, they should still bond with you, especially if they are used to people.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sashimi was our first male tiel, who never liked us at ALL. We got Snuggles, thinking Sashimi would have someone to talk to. No, Sashimi just did not care. I would do it again, no question.

They had separate cages. When Sashimi passed, we planned to get a second one, then I knew someone whose mum had to give up Mr. Peepers, who is yammering away to Snuggles at the moment. Peepers isn’t bonded to us, but that’s ok.

Your English is just fine.

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
I agree on getting a back-up cage. Even if they do become best buddies, you may need the second. Geralt and Triss are bonded, but needed to be separated because he required a cone for medical reasons.
I have four tiels, and they all live in individual cages. A couple of my birds are kind of pesty towards each other, and I can tell they love having their own cages where they can get away from getting bothered. They still really enjoy having each other’s company when I am not home. If you spend time individually with each bird, they should still bond with you, especially if they are used to people.
Garet and Tiel Feathers, thank you for your comments!
did you get your birds at the same time? Do you think it will be better if they stay together or separated, in my case?

Mari Amaral

Meeting neighbors
Sashimi was our first male tiel, who never liked us at ALL. We got Snuggles, thinking Sashimi would have someone to talk to. No, Sashimi just did not care. I would do it again, no question.

They had separate cages. When Sashimi passed, we planned to get a second one, then I knew someone whose mum had to give up Mr. Peepers, who is yammering away to Snuggles at the moment. Peepers isn’t bonded to us, but that’s ok.

Your English is just fine.
thank you, Wasabisaurus!

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Garet and Tiel Feathers, thank you for your comments!
did you get your birds at the same time? Do you think it will be better if they stay together or separated, in my case?
I got Triss and Geralt about two weeks apart, but they had been together before I got them. Everybirdy else came from different homes at different times. Guzma immediately bonded with Mimikyu when I brought him home, though.

I'd say it really depends on how well they get along. Mims is extremely cuddly with Guz and gets distressed when they're not together, but that doesn't mean all tiels are like that. You should make sure they have a flight cage and two of everything to try and minimize squabbling, though. Even when I have my birds outside of their cages, they need 2-3 water and food dishes.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
*If* you get them from the same breeder at the same time AND you let that breeder tell you which 2 are closest, that might work. Problem is sometimes they change as they grow up, just like people do. So please know that whatever you do, they may not be bonded.

My 2 female tiels live in the same cage and are friends but not bonded. one was bonded to the male but he died. They occasionally squabble. They get lots of out-of-cage time (like days in a row without closing the door). They have a huge playground above the cages, and many bowls of food. All these things help prevent fights.

If there's only one cage and only one bowl, chances are one will get to eat more than the other.

How can you be sure they will love you? You can't. They might and they might not. By letting the bird pick you, you have a much better chance of it liking you. But if your focus is on them liking *each other* then that goes away. So what's more important to you?

I went to look at a ringneck at the rescue and while there, my Pionus picked me. I didn't even know what a Pi was, I had to go home and do research and go back a few times (and he kept on picking me). He's the one in my avatar, and he's on my shoulder now.

My cockatiel Torrie picked me - my husband was choosing a male, we were only getting one bird :giggle: and Torrie hopped on me. The lady said she's not really for sale. We brought her home. I chose my next tiel Spirit, who subsequently chose my husband. She tolerates me occasionally.

Reactions: Jas

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I always give them separate cages with the option of allowing them to stay in the same cage if they wish. None of my birds have ever WANTED to share a cage. They like having their separate places.

You just give your birds a lot of attention :) Including some one on one time where you are in a different room if possible with one bird so they can focus on you a little bit. There is no guarantee, even with a single bird, that a bird will bond with you. But it is far healthier for them to bond to another bird and you be a friend to both than it is for them to bond to a human. That can create a lot of other issues!