• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Communication

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Alex will let me know that he is thirsty by using the word “water”. He often asks when we are at the park and once we locate a tap, I cup my hand under it and the little guy has a drink.

Although Alex knows what the word “shower” means, he very seldom uses it – he invariably puffs up his feathers and gives a quick shake and this is his way of letting me know it is bath / shower time.

This morning, just as we were leaving the park, Alex asked for water and we headed off to the nearest tap. I turned it on and placed my hand under the flow of water, but Alex remained perched on my other forearm, looking at me as if to say “… so what is this then?”

I was a bit stumped, because the little guy is very specific about what he wants. If he askes for water, then he wants a drink.

Not too sure about what to do next, I took a shot in the dark and asked “do you want to go to the waterfall?” Alex gave me this crazy look, as if to say “what took you so long to work this one out”.

We headed off to one of the waterfalls in which he likes to bathe and he immediately took a long shower.

So looks like Alex has decided “water” now does not necessary only have to come out of a tap, but can come from over the waterfall as well.

IMG-20180118-WA0004.jpg

The photo is an old one – taken by a friend about three years ago. She sent it to me very recently, so I thought I would include it in this post. Alex is responding to “are you a big boy”, by opening his wings.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I love this post!!! It makes you think that birds are super intelligent! They learn, they know what they want, etc. We just don't understand everything. I wish we could because it would help. My dog will use his pay to hit his water or food bowl (both dogs actually) to let us know we're slacking on our duties. They will even point to what they want like pointers but they are yorkies!

Charlie has what is called by my hubby as the hitchhiker foot. He'll raise one foot and make a soft noise letting you know please pay attention to me.

I believe they are most smarter than children at age three that is for sure! Not putting kids at age 3 down. Just staying that mine have passed that mark after a year.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton really loves water...he has, in the past, connected the fact that rain and snow are water...and wet, two favorite "things" of his. His love of the shower is legendary...he will walk into the bathroom and announce to the world "WANNA WET."

I really think Milty sit in the shower all day, if he was allowed to do so...

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really think Milty sit in the shower all day, if he was allowed to do so...
To be fair, I would also sit in the shower all day if I was allowed! I'm with Milty on this :D

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
We live in a sea side town, called Mossel Bay, Cara – along the east coast of South Africa. It is very pleasant and was awarded “town of the year” status in 2017. Actually, Mossel Bay is the only South African town, to be awarded the title twice.

The waterfalls are in a park, about 2 km from where Alex lives (long story, but Alex has his own exclusive apartment – we do not stay together).

Milton and Duckie are delightful.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen