• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Combine Hand-feeding and parents feeding

Manu

Moving in
Hi,
As mentioned into my presentation, I have 2 chicks hatched from my 8 old grey parrots couple. The oldest has 6 days old the youngest 3 days old.
I am wondering whether it is possible to combine hand feeding and parents feeding? I don't have on the one hand the chance to feed properly the chicks (every 3-4 hours) on the other hand I would like to accustom them to me...
Anyone could advise if and how could I combine and deal with hand and parents feeding?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I have read about parrots and humans raising chick together. But this is a case of how trusting the parrots are.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Yes! It's called co-parenting. I've done it with my finches. You do need a very trusting pair of birds, however.

Co-parenting Chicks

Handfeeding vs Co-Parenting? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I had a very calm pair of finches, so I tried it out, and it worked pretty well. The babies did end up scared of people, but that was because I stopped most handling after weaning.

Hope this helps:)

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Coparenting is probably the best :) That way the chicks know they are birds but they have positive relations with humans early on

Reactions: Tim

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
I started supplementing at 3 weeks. All went very well and my Lily baby is VERY social and loving!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I did that with a clutch of red-bellied parrots. I only did it for about 2 weeks, though, and then pulled the babies at 6 weeks and took over all of the feedings. Became a bit too confusing and had to try to time it exactly right so I could give the babies at least one handfeeding. You can also just pull them and handle the babies for a bit as long as it is OK with mom & dad and let them do all of the feedings.