• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Coloring of Yellow Nape

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I have been frequenting a pet store that has had Yellow Nape Amazons for sale. Thus far they have had two and each one has had their necks fully yellow. I realize each bird is different. My question is what is the youngest age can a nape be fully colored yellow on the nape? The current one in the store is 3-4 years. The previous one was around 8.

I have a nape which is 28 and it is not even close to what these two look like.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can't answer, sorry. I just discovered my blue fronts could change coloring during a molt. MC has a little more blue feathers near his beak.

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Hoping a long time breeder will answer so I know if the pet shop is being honest about ages of their birds. Also, I learn something new.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Napes even from the same clutch can be highly variable in the amount of yellow. I have a breeding pair and kept 3 of their chicks. Gremlin got a whole bunch of partial yellow feathers when he was one year old. When he was 2 years old, they all turned solid yellow and he has almost a solid and very large patch of yellow. Almost as much as his 20+ year old parents. His clutchmate sister only has a few yellow feathers on her nape and didn't get any until she was 3. Their older sister is now 8 and still only has a scattering of yellow feathers on her nape and hasn't gotten appreciably more since she was about 4. Both parents have very wide bands of yellow as very mature birds.

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Thank you.