• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Collar suggestions

ItsMyLife

Strolling the yard
I hoped so much to avoid this as I know it’s not a real solution, but Milo’s mutilation is getting me worried that he’s going to do more than cause a wound.

I’m looking for a collar that we can use for now while we continue plugging away at finding the cause for all of this.

As it stands, under his wings is by far the worst spot he goes at. But he also does the skin around the base of his tail, his chest, back, and ankles.

Is there a collar that can help restrict these areas? He doesn’t fly, so being able to climb around in one is imperative.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I really liked Protective Parrot Petals by Pam. One thing is how well are you able to handle him to put the collar on? Bird Supplies might be better for that. BirdSupplies.com | Feather Plucking Collar | Feather Picking Supplies But if you think he'll be able to undo Velcro I'd go with Protective Petals. I don't know if that's a worry for you with a smaller bird. The main difference between the two collars is Bird Supplies ones are easier to put on as they open all the way up. While PP you have to slip over your bird's head. Both have Velcro but PP will be harder for your bird to get off. Now this my experience with bigger collars so smaller one might not be exactly the same.

Other thing is ankles are going to be the hardest area for any collar to protect. Zane was able to get around very well with all types of collars. Milo may freak out at first but try using tough love as he might over exaggerating how much it's bugging him. If he's freaking out to point you are legitimately worried he'll hurt himself than take it off. But don't if you're only feeling sorry for him. That's pretty obvious advice but when emotions are running high for both of you it can be easy to justify to take the collar off for safety reasons when really you're just feeling bad for him.

Keep an eye on him and make sure he get food and water. As long as he can do that you're good and you don't have to worry about mobility issues

I like Avian Fashions sweater products (since Milo picks under his wings sweaters aren't the best option for you) but I've never used their collars so I don't know enough about them. @Macawnutz might know. And is also a great person to help with collar advice too :)

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I do have lots experience with collars, though with a bigger bird so somethings might be different. But I'll help you anyway I can :)

Last edited:

ItsMyLife

Strolling the yard
@Sarahmoluccan I’m not actually sure how he’d take to me putting one on. He’s not super handleable, but he does shove his head into cloth.
I’ll cut a strip of fabric tonight and see if we can’t go ahead and start some counter conditioning to having me touch the fabric around his head and neck.
I’ve got to find something and I really want to avoid the ones at the vet based on what they were telling me.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
That's good idea. I was really lucky with Zane as we got to point where I could do almost anything with him. It wasn't always like that. He'd run wherever he saw getting a sock sweater ready. He used those a lot when we were in between vets. But once I found a really good vet she strongly recommended he go back to collars.

Also in the beginning of our relationship he'd clamp his beak shut when he saw medication coming his way. It was a real struggle but he got very good about it. :) At some point he'll probably have to medicate him, wait I think you are now? I believe you mentioned in another thread he was on meds. Antibiotics or something? How is he with that? Anyway you can also work on that too by using juice and a syringe when he's not meds if you're having problems with it.

What type of collar is your vet recommending?

ItsMyLife

Strolling the yard
The meds he is on are dissolved in his water or mixed with his food, so we have not yet had to go the route of a syringe. I can’t imagine that would go over well yet with where we are in our relationship.

Vet had a plastic Elizabethan type collar, but said it can not be used for long as it will prevent him from doing many activities. However, it is on the list if his wing does not start healing or he goes any deeper in that spot.

ItsMyLife

Strolling the yard
I emailed with PP and she is making us both a collar and a neckband which she offered to discount. She started them last night, so they should be here soon!
I’m not sure if I’m excited, dreading it, or just nervous.

@Sarahmoluccan what do you do in regards to bathing and such? He tends to bathe himself daily. Should I put in a smaller bowl so he doesn’t end up all wet with no way to groom himself? And then just offer supervised baths with the stuff off so he can get himself clean?

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Hmmm.... I never that problem with Zane as he didn't tend to bath his water bowl. A smaller bowl sounds like a good idea. Collars can be tricky, birds have to learn how to drink with them on. It's not terribly hard for them but it just takes some getting use to. So I wouldn't switch to smaller bowl right away. If bathing with the collar becomes a problem then switch to a smaller bowl.

A major concern with collars is can your bird eat and drink with them on. It's typically not a problem and I suspect most birds cope with that aspect of being collared rather well. It's just in a rare case when it is a problem obviously it has to be dealt with. Either modifying the collar or getting rid of it all together. But again it's really rare to have this problem.

Zane has some pretty extreme collars that did limit his mobility but he always figured out how to eat and drink with them on. And he learned to get around well them on pretty well. So I don't expect it to be a problem for Milo. There will be a learning curve for him. So let him get use to the collar first before changing the water bowl. If you do decide to change it, again watch him to make sure he can drink using the smaller bowl.

Does he like being spray at all? If you are able to handle him enough to let you bath him that would be great too. Bathing can be great for pluckers and self mutilators. But it can be tricky. See how he is with taking the collar on and off and go from there.

How is he doing now? Is he letting you handle him a little bit more? Has his mood swings gotten any better?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have Protective Petals on hand for my two. They are also on gabapentin and if any wounds get started...they immediately get tramadol and the typical wound care for a week even if it is just a teeny tiny spot from a pulled or ingrown feathers removal.

ItsMyLife

Strolling the yard
He will occasionally allow me to spray him, very dependent on what side of the bed he woke up on that day. He’s not afraid of it, just grumpy some days.

He is better about being handled now, so long as we do our sessions when everyone else is out of the room. We are slowly building some trust, though not without some decent bites that I sometimes don’t see coming. He is letting me drape a strip of fabric over his neck in exchange for sweet potato, so that’s a huge success for a bird that couldn’t be handled whatsoever a month ago.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
That's awesome!!! I'm so glad he's coming around. You are such an awesome job with him :)