• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cold weather and Sneezing

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
Hello guys so i adopted 2 male cockatiels from shelter on november 8 , 2023
they both are very young 1.5 to 2 month old
i am based in new delhi , india at this time its very cold weather started here and it will last till mid march one of my baby having sneezing issue from yesterday and he did one weird thing today sneeze kindly watch this video
i am unable to understand what is it ? happened 2 times today can anyone please help me out understanding and how to manage them in cold weather @SumitaSinh

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
sneeze this is video of him doing weird breathing

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I'm sorry. TD has never had such an issue. His sneezing, I believe, was due to the extremely dry conditions in southern California. I would get this bird to an Avian veterinarian as soon as possible. Do you have an Avian vet near you?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Something about that doesn't look right... I would definitely see about finding a vet.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Hi,
Are they weaned , or still getting have fed?
I watched your videos, and the sniffs and crop movement and I'm not sure what exactly is going on....does the tail move with breathing or other parts of body or just in the neck crop area?
We all try and help as best we can , but we aren't vets and sometimes it's hard to know what's going on.

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
Hi,
Are they weaned , or still getting have fed?
I watched your videos, and the sniffs and crop movement and I'm not sure what exactly is going on....does the tail move with breathing or other parts of body or just in the neck crop area?
We all try and help as best we can , but we aren't vets and sometimes it's hard to know what's going on.
i adopted them from a shelter i don’t know about their weaning process both are young
i also haven’t notice that his tail is bobbing or not because he’s sitting on the cage ..
but once i hold him and let him play with me i rub his neck and this movement cleared

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I hope those who have weaned cockatiel way in here...I think they start weaning at 7 and 8 weeks ..
Edit: you can read through this thread
Ate yours doing any begging for food? Are they eating well to maintain weight and pooping good?

Last edited:

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
I hope those who have weaned cockatiel way in here...I think they start weaning at 7 and 8 weeks ..
Ate yours doing any begging for food? Are they eating well to maintain weight and pooping good?
from the shelter i get them they told me they eat seeds of foxtail millet but they look young they don’t sing small noises of sound they make
i don’t think they are weaned
poop is never good since they arrive

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
They are right around the age the wean. Can you offer some soft cooked veggies cut up, so e cooked mashed sweet potatoes. You can try getting baby bird formula and offer. Yi definitely want them eating

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
They are right around the age the wean. Can you offer some soft cooked veggies cut up, so e cooked mashed sweet potatoes. You can try getting baby bird formula and offer. Yi definitely want them eating
how long they wean? i need to learn about this for sure from the shelter i rescued them is marked most worst shelter i get their info in a rescue group that’s why i don’t know about their age i have plenty of other rescue healthy birds i raise just new to cockatiels but having one healthy 8 months old lutino

i will get some soft food on table i tried to feed them some soft gauva but they just denied and munch on seeds but they like Coriander, boiled egg & beans on 8th dec it will be one month since i rescued them

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I linked a page that lots of stuff on cockatiel.
It sounds like should be weaned

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
how long they wean? i need to learn about this for sure from the shelter i rescued them is marked most worst shelter i get their info in a rescue group that’s why i don’t know about their age i have plenty of other rescue healthy birds i raise just new to cockatiels but having one healthy 8 months old lutino

i will get some soft food on table i tried to feed them some soft gauva but they just denied and munch on seeds but they like Coriander, boiled egg & beans on 8th dec it will be one month since i rescued them
Very cute!!

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
I'm sorry. TD has never had such an issue. His sneezing, I believe, was due to the extremely dry conditions in southern California. I would get this bird to an Avian veterinarian as soon as possible. Do you have an Avian vet near you?
nope the vet i consulted is in another city i consulted through video call he send me prescription with antibiotics but as i can see my chikoo is pretty active and loud just sneeze in the morning when it’s cold or during eating something only

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
When I rescued TD he was only 19 days old and had been starved. He was at death's door and I didn't think he'd make it through the night. I bought Kaytee Exact baby bird formula and fed him with a syringe.

I don't recall exactly how old he was, maybe two months old, when I started offering him other foods. He transitioned to eating his bird food very easily and it was only a few days, it seems, that he was no longer interested in the formula. Keep us posted about their progress. We care.

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
When I rescued TD he was only 19 days old and had been starved. He was at death's door and I didn't think he'd make it through the night. I bought Kaytee Exact baby bird formula and fed him with a syringe.

I don't recall exactly how old he was, maybe two months old, when I started offering him other foods. He transitioned to eating his bird food very easily and it was only a few days, it seems, that he was no longer interested in the formula. Keep us posted about their progress. We care.
wow that’s so inspiring
i don’t think chikoo and lucky need formula because they don’t open mouth like all small babies do .. the only thing i understand that from the shelter they are coming they become so dependent on Foxtail (no nutrition)
lucky face alot of constipation when he came home i give him Lactolose suspension that help him on a vet advice .. Cold weather is bad here in my city it’s 20C today
we turn on Heater for them adds blankets in their cage soak pallets in warm water still they like Foxtail god only they love french beans coriander and spinach i am trying to feed them veggies and soft food so that their weaning process complete they seems underweight and malnutrition so much work to do with these kiddos and also need to learn all the anatomy too

this is the current pic 10:33 am enjoying nap after meal

Attachments

SJ07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Saaniya Jackson
these prescribe by an avian vet i consulted yesterday.. 2 more pending one is Avian Toxicure for mycotoxins removal and one is exotic probiotics for lucky

i already have Baytril 10% but not giving antibiotics this fast

Attachments