• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cod liver oil for birds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I take a special kind of cod liver oil. It is rich in naturally occurring DHA, EPA, Omega 3s, Vit. D3, iodine, Quinone (an antioxidant) and Vit. A. It contains no synthetic Vit. A unlike most Cod liver Oil on the market. The only ingredients are cod liver oil and orange oil.

Vit. A is protective against respiratory disease in parrots, so I'm thinking this might be a good way to boost Olive's immune system. I'll ask my vet about it before giving it to Olive but I thought I'd see if anyone else has seen cod liver oil used in birds. I take extra when I'm about to get sick and it is awesome stuff. Thoughts?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In the Nutrition for Pets group on facebook, I believe that this came up. I believe that he said that as long as it is the gel caps form (ie, not a pump or in a liquid state) you can use it that way (it is more stable in that form

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Shawna! My google searches had not come up with much. :)

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, the Nutrition for Pets group discusses fish oil in general, which is different. I mean, cod liver oil IS fish oil but most fish oil is not cod liver oil. He does recommend CoQ10 for birds, and the Quinones in this cod liver oil include CoQ10. I've read some positive experiences with cod liver oil in my searches and the only negative things I've read have warned about overdosing on synthetic Vit. A, which this brand does not contain. I think I'm going to give it a try in very small amounts.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ahh oops you are right, it was fish oil not cod liver oil :) At least it gave some information that was relevant!

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Fish oil is one of the staples everyone should have in their diet. I mean, everyone. From age 2-120.

I squeeze some in for my birds, and for my cats as well when I feed them. It is the only oil that is anti-inflammatory, and contains DHA/EPA, which are the same types of fats that consist of around 90% of the brain's solid matter (brain is around 90% water. But, of the 10% that is solid, 90% of it is DHA/EPA). Highly, extremely important. Especially for young children/birds/cats/whatever that are still developing and growing their brains. Of course, on the other end of the spectrum, it's also important for preservation of our very important organ.

As well as a whole host of other health benefits: heart issues, cholesterol, hypertension, etc.

Downfall is that it takes about 6 months of consistent, daily use to see a medical change--as in blood panel.

HOWEVER, the market is flooded with many brands of cheap fish oil that cannot and absolutely should not be consumed. They claim to be microfiltered, but are never actually tested per batch for mercury and other toxin levels. They are also made from large fish (salmon, etc), which contain high levels of mercury as they are larger fish. These types of fish oils are the ones found in supermarkets such as Wholefoods brand, Trader Joe's, Costco brand, etc.

The fish oil you DO want is not from salmon, but from small fish--mackerel, anchovies, sardines, etc. It needs to be tested batch for batch for mercery levels, and other heavy metals and toxins, and it needs to contain a potent amount of DHA/EPA. Potent meaning at least 600 DHA/serving. Most brands out there have very low DHA/EPA content.

This is the brand that I use and also sell in the medical practice at which I work:

Heart Health Essential Omega Iii Fish Oil With Vitamin E - Single Bottle (30 Servings)

It meets all the requirements that I just stated. It is double-tested. Once by the distributor and once by the manufacturer. It seems expensive, but if calclated per DHA content, it's actually cheaper than a crappy Trader Joe's fish oil which gives you 200 DHA as opposed to 600 per serving. Further, it has no preservatives at all, and only has glycerin/gelatin (the capsule), water, and lemon oil as additional ingredients. It's harvested from small fish in low-polution levels in Peru.

Whatever brand you buy, these are the guidelines:

1) Made from small fish (NOT SALMON)
2) Tested. By batch. If you really want to be detailed about it, call and ask them when the last batch was pulled. If they cannot answer that, don't buy the product.
3) High DHA/EPA content (at least 600mg DHA per serving)
4) No additives.

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Also, adding, that I haven't heard Cod Liver Oil to be mentioned at as high importance as fish oil.

Naiera

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
Peaches had a Vit. A deficiency when she came to me and had to be given supplements. I know it was some kind of fish related oil, but I don't remember what kind specifically and I don't have the bottle with me right now! I'll have to check at some point.

But I do know you can 'overdose' on vitamin A (people and birds). I think the upper limit for adult humans is like 10k IU or something like that, recommended being around 2.5k IU? I don't know the values for certain, you'd want to check those for sure. Point being though, I wonder if any recommended value or toxicity levels have been determined for any species of birds? Or per weight/age for birds?

When Peaches took her oil I gave her 1 drop every 3 days. I asked the vet tech if she knew of any specific recommended or upper limit values for vit. A in birds and while she didn't give me a specific value, she seemed to feel strongly that 1 drop every 3 days (for a peachfaced lovebird at 53g) would be no where near toxic levels even with a pelleted diet and veggies included.

Take all of that with a grain of salt, you can probably tell it's pretty wishy-washy!! Just thought I'd share my experience in case it helps any.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Also, adding, that I haven't heard Cod Liver Oil to be mentioned at as high importance as fish oil.
thanks for all that info on fish oil. Cod liver oil is different, but I've read it is actually more beneficial than fish oil as long as there is no synthetic vit A. It is much richer in nutrients, while being more stable than fish oil. Rancid oils actually promote inflammation, which omega 3s aim to prevent. The type I use for myself is processed the same as the CLO that has been used for hundreds of years so I feel very safe using it. I plan on discussing it with my vet at our next appointment. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
thanks for all that info on fish oil. Cod liver oil is different, but I've read it is actually more beneficial than fish oil as long as there is no synthetic vit A. It is much richer in nutrients, while being more stable than fish oil. Rancid oils actually promote inflammation, which omega 3s aim to prevent. The type I use for myself is processed the same as the CLO that has been used for hundreds of years so I feel very safe using it. I plan on discussing it with my vet at our next appointment. :)
Let us know what she says! I would be interested in knowing.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Peaches had a Vit. A deficiency when she came to me and had to be given supplements. I know it was some kind of fish related oil, but I don't remember what kind specifically and I don't have the bottle with me right now! I'll have to check at some point.

But I do know you can 'overdose' on vitamin A (people and birds). I think the upper limit for adult humans is like 10k IU or something like that, recommended being around 2.5k IU? I don't know the values for certain, you'd want to check those for sure. Point being though, I wonder if any recommended value or toxicity levels have been determined for any species of birds? Or per weight/age for birds?

When Peaches took her oil I gave her 1 drop every 3 days. I asked the vet tech if she knew of any specific recommended or upper limit values for vit. A in birds and while she didn't give me a specific value, she seemed to feel strongly that 1 drop every 3 days (for a peachfaced lovebird at 53g) would be no where near toxic levels even with a pelleted diet and veggies included.

Take all of that with a grain of salt, you can probably tell it's pretty wishy-washy!! Just thought I'd share my experience in case it helps any.
This is very helpful! Thank you. If it was fish based and rich in vit. A it probably was CLO. From my research, vit A deficiency is very serious since it is so crucial for immune function. CLO is one of the most potent sources so I think it could be very beneficial in the avian community.

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Just make sure that the oil is tested. It's the only way to make sure that the mercury (and other toxin) levels are not high enough to cause problems.

Naiera

Real Name
Alyssa
This is very helpful! Thank you. If it was fish based and rich in vit. A it probably was CLO. From my research, vit A deficiency is very serious since it is so crucial for immune function. CLO is one of the most potent sources so I think it could be very beneficial in the avian community.

Interesting that a vit. A deficiency can contribute to a weakened immune system because Peaches also came with some bacterial infections she had to be medicated for. I wonder if the two didn't go hand in hand.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award

Interesting that a vit. A deficiency can contribute to a weakened immune system because Peaches also came with some bacterial infections she had to be medicated for. I wonder if the two didn't go hand in hand.
I'm sure they did. Olive is mildly deficient in vit. A (came to me on a seed diet) and is having issues with recurrent respiratory infections. Instead of pounding her body with tons of antibiotics for who knows how long, I'd much rather boost her immune system and top her vit A stores off. Obviously I've been giving her antibiotics once she has the infection, I just want to nip them in the bud. I've been giving her Harrison's booster, which is basically concentrated red palm oil, at the recommendation of my vet, but it doesn't seem to be working as well as I'd hoped. Hence the interest in CLO. :) I'm very glad that Peaches seems to have made a full recovery!!

Naiera

Real Name
Alyssa
I'm sure they did. Olive is mildly deficient in vit. A (came to me on a seed diet) and is having issues with recurrent respiratory infections. Instead of pounding her body with tons of antibiotics for who knows how long, I'd much rather boost her immune system and top her vit A stores off. Obviously I've been giving her antibiotics once she has the infection, I just want to nip them in the bud. I've been giving her Harrison's booster, which is basically concentrated red palm oil, at the recommendation of my vet, but it doesn't seem to be working as well as I'd hoped. Hence the interest in CLO. :) I'm very glad that Peaches seems to have made a full recovery!!

Yep - Peaches was eating all seed too. I gave her the vit. a supplements while she was learning to eat pellets and then for a few months still after she was eating the pellets and learning to eat veggies, just to make sure her body was able to 'catch up' and adjust all right. I don't give them anymore and honestly I'm glad because it was a bit of a pain! Sometimes I could get her to just take it but other times I'd have to towel her and give her the drop that way. Ironically, she also gets red palm oil once a week on her birdy bread - don't know if that was any help in helping build her immune system or not but all three of my birds seem to really like the bread better with it anyway :shrug:

It sounds like you're intentions for using the oil are pretty much just as the vet suggested I do for Peaches. Worked for her and I hope it works for Olive too :):)

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
I found this tonight while researching. This comes from a very reputable finch website, ladygouldianfinch.com

"Many breeders for over a hundred years have recommended the use of cod liver oil for the health of cage birds, even though they did not then know that this oil was an excellent source of both vitamin A and vitamin D in cage bird diets. We now know that the livers of sea fish abound in both of these vitamins, and cod liver oil in particular has been available almost since commercial fishing began. If this oil can be provided in a readily consumable form, it is an excellent and easily available vitamin D source. However, it becomes rancid very rapidly on exposure to air. If you can mix it with something that the birds will consume completely within about 15 minutes, the danger of rancidity is minimal. Remember that rancidity in oils of this type is cumulative, and the longer the oil sits exposed to the air, the worse it gets."

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How do you serve it Ellen, and how much do you give?

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
How do you serve it Ellen, and how much do you give?
I haven't given Olive any yet. Im an obsessive researcher. :o: We see the vet tomorrow too so hopefully I will remember to ask her. We are doing lots of tests though so I'm not positive there will be time. But, if I do give it, I will try just mixing a drop or two into her chop. If she won't eat it that way (stuff is rather foul) I might do it via syringe mixed with a bit of juice or something.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I haven't given Olive any yet. Im an obsessive researcher. :o: We see the vet tomorrow too so hopefully I will remember to ask her. We are doing lots of tests though so I'm not positive there will be time. But, if I do give it, I will try just mixing a drop or two into her chop. If she won't eat it that way (stuff is rather foul) I might do it via syringe mixed with a bit of juice or something.
It's good you do so much research though!! I will be interested to see how it goes. I imagine I could sneak a drop or two into sweet potato or mango baby food - Jingo at the least would have a hard time resisting being handfed from a little spoon with one of those on it :lol: I'm excited to hear what she says!

Status
Not open for further replies.