• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo shaking head

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Echo my 1 year old Ducorps cockatoo. Seems to be shaking her head quite a bit as if someone blowed air at her. Is this normal or do you think vets are in order?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:bump7:

If you feel that there is something wrong, a vet visit is always best. Better to be on the safer side in case she is uncomfortable or has something lodged in her ear.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If you don't think she' s just reacting to some sound, I would say vet check to be safe.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Our little guy really liked to rub stuff in his feathers when he was that age... Especially his head feathers. He would self-scritch with whatever he found (that I left for him) in his cage. And sometimes even made up his own games. I once found him with his foot wrapped around his own head and the toenail of his short toe in his own ear hole, very gently moving up and down. No idea why he did it, but it makes me wonder if your Echo might have gotten something stuck in his ear.

If he lets you do deep face pets, you could check during a good scritching. When he is relaxed, and without using force, gently part the slightly thinner hint-o-yellow feathers that cover his ears. If he pulls away and won't let you look at one side or you notice him scratching at one side of his face more then the other, that might be the issue. At that point, a good avian vet might be your best bet since most people don't have the tools or skills to pull out something wedged between those delicate face bones.

Is anything coming out of his mouth when he shakes his head? If so, he may be vomiting. That is an urgent issue and it's certainly time to get him to someone who can diagnose and help you correct whatever is wrong.

Keep us posted on how Echo is doing!

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Echos not vomiting and seems fine in her self. She is eating and drinking fine. She does like to scratch her own head alot lol. Shes silly tame and loves a head scratch so ill have a look now