• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo Diet

Pennys People

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Heather & Skip
When I adopted my 40 year old cockatoo, Penelope, a couple months ago I was given containers of a generic store brought seed labeled "parrot food". Before I brought her home I visited our pet store and got her some healthy mix that had various pellets and bigger seed and nut selection. I mix a little of each but I have noticed that she never eats the dried corn or the tiny little seeds. She loves to go after these little baked flower looking pieces and the bigger pieces of nuts. I'm concerned that she is not getting a balanced diet. I do offer her fresh fruit and vegetables but in her 40 years this is a first for her so it's coming along slowly. Can I get some advice on brands of food that I might be able to order or get at a decent bird store that would be of interest to her? I hear of people talking about pellets but I see very few in my mix. Should I buy some straight pellets and try mixing them in with her food? I'm at a loss here.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
In order to see what pellets she might like you can contact the companies - Caitec Oven Fresh, Harrisons, Zupreem, Lafaber and Roudybush, my vet likes Harrisons best, and my macaw is on HP Harrisons and loves it - and get samples of their pellets to see what Penelope might like. When I first moved Sam from the seed mix to Harrisons, I mixed it in and slowly fazed out the seeds. The best pellet is the one she'll eat.
What is the mix that you got her? I get Harrison's and mix it with MySafeBirdStore's pellet free blend, with additional nuts. My conure is on straight pellets (he does get chop) and he doesn't seem to mind it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, I would buy a straight pellet mix. I have a separate seed and pellet bowls. My cockatoo eats Higgins Intune but there are a lot of good brands out there. The best pellet is whatever your parrot will eat. LOL. You can also try nutriberries. A lot of birds who aren't used to eating pellets will eat those. And as for fruits and vegetables, just keep trying. It took quite awhile before my 'too would eat any. And he is still pretty selective, but we're making progress. (He loves squash and zucchini because he can chew the middles with all the seeds and stuff.)