• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo destroying chain links

vaporised

Moving in
Real Name
Shannon
Hi there!

I have a major mitchell's cockatoo that has recently become obsessed with destroying all of the chain links on her toys, causing everything to fall apart, and she continues playing with the opened chain links. She has always been very interested in all things metal but only recently has she started to play with chain links. Has anyone dealt with this habit? Is there anything I can do besides removing all toys made of chain links? She also destroys the leather straps or string that holds other toys together first before anything being supported by them, so I'm at a loss of what toys to give her because they all end up on the cage floor :(

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I guess you could use padlocks instead? Just make sure they're 100% stainless steel.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You will need to buy stainless steel welded link chain or upgrade to a larger size that is still safe for toes and beak.

My guy loves dropping toys and pulling them apart so I now put nearly everything on skewers... I buy toys, he pulls them apart, I restring them onto SS skewers and rehang them then he chips them lol. Expandable Habitats - Hangin' Round Chewable Hanging System

If your bird loves SS maybe you could consider getting some SS toys. My big guy (actually all my guys- big, med and small) loves the SS toys from Blu's bird toys ( Blu's Bird Toys - Stimulate Your Bird's Senses! )

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I agree with @Shezbug that it is a good idea to replace all unwelded links since these can cause injury to beaks and toes if she accidentally gets one caught on her body.

If you are ok with letting her define the fun bits of play, it's always possible to buy a big spool of vegetable tanned leather straps and one of wound paper. Restring a 2-3 toy blocks each a bunch of leather or paper straps of different lengths to hang all over her cage. She may be in love with the clang of falling objects and is definitely chewing and using her toys for play, even if not I'm the way you intended.

In my experience cockatoos go through different phases with how they use their toys and she may eventually outgrow the "make it rain loud blocks" phase. In the meantime, your toy budget will drop (pun intended) to only the spools needed to hang up the clean toy parts you have now.

vaporised

Moving in
Real Name
Shannon
Thanks very much for the recs!!! I'll definitely get myself a spool of leather straps, she's insane about those LOL. Those stainless steel toys also look great, I mostly purchase my toys from the few local Aussie bird supply stores and they don't have very much variety so I'll check out that site!

And thank you @Tanya :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks very much for the recs!!! I'll definitely get myself a spool of leather straps, she's insane about those LOL. Those stainless steel toys also look great, I mostly purchase my toys from the few local Aussie bird supply stores and they don't have very much variety so I'll check out that site!

And thank you @Tanya :)
Yeah Jan’s quality is the best I’ve seen when it comes to SS toys, you won’t find such good quality customer service or SS toys here in Australia unfortunately.

I think it might be this store that has the expandable habits skewers and toy hangers…. My Parrot Shop - Parrot Toys and Parrot Supplies in Australia