• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo advice

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for posting this, it’s very helpful.
This is all the stuff that I feel I have been stressing about in regards to bringing Barry home.
I am glad to have read over it and know that my concerns are real. I am also glad that I already know to expect things to be quite tough and that I am completely committed to trying to make his life better than it currently is no matter what lengths I need to go to.
I have been wondering if he would best to be given a friend as I feel all birds should be able to communicate with their own species if it’s possible.

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
My kids friends had an umbrella also and he was male. They had trouble with him when he attached to their mom and actively tried to attack anyone he saw as a threat, namely her husband. And he was able to figure out any combination lock they put on his cage. Each time faster than the last.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
The whole thing about people not getting their animals treated because "it was only $20" had me thinking ... Aren't human babies technically free?

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Thank you for posting this, it’s very helpful.
This is all the stuff that I feel I have been stressing about in regards to bringing Barry home.
I am glad to have read over it and know that my concerns are real. I am also glad that I already know to expect things to be quite tough and that I am completely committed to trying to make his life better than it currently is no matter what lengths I need to go to.

I have three cockatoos - two are ex breeders and are in their mid twenties. My umbrella was my first large bird and she was 12 then. She’s almost 30 now. She’s grown to love my kids but she’s never outgrown her dislike of middle aged men and she’ll slash their check given half a chance and she’s never given the chance at all. And with that restriction she’s a great bird and very loving. My other two are sweeties and it surprises me because I’ve always heard breeders were not tame.

I think you and Barry will get along fine. You’re doing your hw, concerned as hell about him and it’s clear you’ll move mountains for him. He’ll feel that. I always think happy happy when I’m around a new parrot. And I always have assorted goodies for the car ride home. And lots of sweet talk. A friend of mine is high up in Aamerican Federation of Aviculture and has spent her entire life around parrots. She loves cockatoos and only has them. Her take is they’re much more interested in people than macaws and they show it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for your words of support and advice. It has helped me to feel like I can do this well and I will have some great people to turn to when I need help and advice on the best ways to proceed with anything for Barry.
I feel much more comfortable and confident knowing I am not being delusional about how easy things will be and that I will be able to do this with the best help available.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
I think I hit the Cockatoo lottery. He’s a moody boy like any cockatoo, but he doesn’t mind most people. He’s not overly aggressive, but obviously has his moments. The key is trying your best to read when he’s prone to having a moment and let him have his space at that point.

He’s LOUD, but that’s a given with any cockatoo. Especially an Umbrella or Moluccan (Mine is a U2)

He also doesn’t have a HUGE personality like a lot so. He doesn’t dance or hop around throwing toys. We are working with him, but I believe his previous homes expected him to stay on his cage all the time, and he doesn’t know what to do with his freedom. 13 years is a lot of years of habit to break.

One thing I’m not to keen on for the article is generalizing cockatoos as these opportunistic attack dogs. While some cockatoos certainly can be extremely aggressive and unpredictable, there are just as many that while still a complete handful for many reasons, are simply not unpredictable and willing to destroy flesh if any opportunity presents itself.

I completely realize why cockatoo owners scare people from owning them. It’s done with good intentions, we hate seeing unprepared owners get these birds and realize they can’t handle them, and they’re suddenly on their 6th home. I get that. One thing people rarely do is talk about how for the right person they can make wonderful pets. Explaining that is extremely hard, and I’m not most efficient with using language to get my points across. I’m certainly no English major. However, a point even this article mentioned was the fact so many need homes. Since people continue to breed these birds for profit, and they’re here, they need loving homes that can take them in and deal with their craziness. I think fear articles like that while keeping potentially unfit owners away, also unintentionally keep good owners away too.