• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo Advice Please....

Status
Not open for further replies.

StBernard

Meeting neighbors
Good Luck with your new family additions!! It is very true that the white Too's are the most demanding (having been owned by an M2 and U2 I know haha) but I do think the Moluccan and Umbrella are the most difficult during adolescence. Luckily your new pair are adults and past the puberty stage so at least what you see is what you get. As with any animal they will react to a new home and a new routine, but providing you keep as much the same as possible...food, aviary etc, I don't think you should have too many problems (no pun intended haha.):lol:
Luckily they have each other so at least they aren't venturing to a new home alone. :) I feel for the elderly couple who are having to rehome them. Something I think we all need to consider with our birds, especially those of us with babies. My birds will go to my younger brother or my sister in law if possible...all planned, and I'm only 28! It must be heartbreaking for people to have to give them up. I'm glad they are going to a loving home :)

all4stvoyager

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
What an exciting decision to make! :) I don't think this has been answered yet...do you know how old they are? How long have they been in their current home?

I am a little concerned about you not caring too much if they breed. I'm sure you are aware of all that could entail...it's a really big deal...specially with Toos. I would imagine people on here with Toos can give more details, but I've worked for several years at rescues, and in my experience, Too's and dyh are the most frequent flyers so to speak.

Lovebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathy
I'm excited for you to have considered such a brave undertaking and relieving the stress and anxiety of the two elderly bird owners. I think with your sense of spirit and determination you'll make a good home for the toos.

I'm basically a novice bird owner of 8 lovebirds (who just sit around all day communicating with each other). But, I visit a local pet store every week to play with and hug the cockatoos. I'd love to get up the nerve to get one but I'm not there yet.

Best of luck to you if you get them and let us know how it goes! :)

Nelson & Gang

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
I’m a little confused here.

I’m not sure I quite understand what your intentions are? Do you want to handle these birds b/c they have been handled by the prior owners before or are you just wanting to provide a space for them to live out their lives?

I think the questions you were asked by others were legitimate. We don’t know you, or anything about you … so asking more specific questions gives us more of an idea of how to help you or how to answer your questions. The more information someone has, the better information we can give.

If you want to be able to handle them, my suggestion would be to separate them. Since you do rescue work – the determination to separate & handle them would have to be based on their personality levels, interactions, age, etc. I have worked extensively over the years w/ a retired M2 breeder and helped to rehome a large majority of her bonded pairs.

SC2’s are some of the most erratic cockatoos out there. They are more high strung in general and their bites are much more damaging than other species. You will really need to learn to read their body language and I would advise separating them and taking it slowly if your intentions are to handle them.

Status
Not open for further replies.