• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel with infection

Findingblu

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys, my cockatiel(2yo) had a raspy voice couple days ago like when you catch a cold and you lose your voice. I took her to vet and she was diagnosed with infection in her air sacks and was given antibiotics. She’s been on antibiotics since last Thursday, today marks the 5th day. I’m giving 3 drops twice a day and she has a follow up on jan 4th with vet but I haven’t seen any development with her condition. She’s been sleeping a lot but I don’t know if it’s the medicine thats making her sleepy or molting(really bad) that she’s going through right now. How soon do I supposed to see results while using medicine? I have one vet that takes care of birds in my city and I wanna make sure my baby is okay. I’d appreciate if you guys can help a bit, also she struggles a lot while taking her medicine(liquid with syringe) doesn’t eat it on any kind of food and doesn’t eat that food again if i try to fool her. Are there any other ways to give the medicine you used and worked?
Thanks!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Unfortunately, giving the medication directly is the only way you can be sure she gets the full dose. I recommend you keep that up.

Normally, antibiotics will show an effect in 48 - 72 hours, but things can make that not dependable. One, she may have not been getting the right dose, but more likely is that air sacs are not very well vasculated (not much blood circulating through the sacs) and there for it will take longer for the antibiotics to be effective.

If she isn't showing results in a couple of days call you vet and let him know ALSO ask him if her infection is possibly Aspergillosis - which many times starts in the air sacs.

Findingblu

Checking out the neighborhood
Would that make her voice raspy? I’m also turkish so i look up a lot of the things in English and struggle to find turkish meanings of them to talk about it with my vet :/ I’ll make sure to ask that, thank you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’m also turkish so i look up a lot of the things in English and struggle to find turkish meanings of them to talk about it with my vet :
Try using a translator, and finding any words (like Aspergillosis) and writing them down in a notepad so you can talk with your vet about them.
Take a pen so you can write down things the vet says and later translate them at home to research more.
I get my vet to write down any key words, and medicine names on paper so that I can study later at home. It helps me greatly because there isn´t a lot of information available in Spanish, there is much more in English, and my vet does not speak English.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Findingblu Yes, a change in voice is one of the first symptoms of Aspergillosis - that is why I recommended that you ask about it.