• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel weight loss

j-l-s

Meeting neighbors
My Cockatiel is not eating seeds because he is an old bird (29 years old), my avian vet said
the seeds are to hard for him to eat. I have tried cracking the seeds but he really doesnt eat them.

Today he dropped 2 gm, he is now at 95.5gm ... :-(

His avian vet said try cinnamon oatmeal, he didnt like it … he also suggested ground cinnamon oatmeal on his seeds, he has been eating them … but

they must be getting more difficult for him to chew.

Ive been thinking about softened pellets, he used to eat Harrison’s pellets, hot sure about this ... how to get him to eat it …

Any thoughts on what I might feed my old buddy ?

Thanks
An old pick I like ...

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome!! He's a beautiful boy!!
How long has his food consumption been decreasing for?

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I like Saroj's suggestion. Crumbled pellets? Does he eat any fresh foods? Thinking peas or applesauce perhaps. Mashed food with softened seeds? Sorry just brainstorming. Congrats on 29 years.

j-l-s

Meeting neighbors
I weigh him daily ... this session of weight loss started 9-1-13, he dropped below 90gms.
He has been doing OK, but recently he has been sleeping during the day more and eating noticeably less.

Guinea To answer your question, one week.

He just doesnt seem to want to eat ...

Last edited:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I weigh him daily ... this session of weight loss started 9-1-13, he dropped below 90gms.
He has been doing OK, but recently he has been sleeping during the day more and eating noticeably less.

To answer your question, one week.
Has your vet tested blood? He is very old and it's natural for them to slow down. :hug8:

vmashley03

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
I've soaked Harrison's in organic apple juice (not from concentrate) and that went over very well!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Does he like cooked grains or mashes? Like brown rice and lentils? Finely chopped veggies?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome and what a gorgeous old man he is. Did the vet tell you not to feed him seed? At this stage in the game, if he wants to eat seeds, then give him seeds..have you tried budgie seeds? They are a lot smaller..also you might try baby food. You can also try scrambled eggs. ( you can make one easily in the microwave..put one in a microwave dish..stir nuke for 20 seconds..stir again and nuke another 20 you must make sure it is cool first as the center will be very hot.. you might also consider putting a flat perch in his cage that will help to make him more comfy..you can buy them online or make one yourself..we made one for our handicapped finch...like this..out of plywood..about 4 inches wide and runs the length of the cage. th_Picture095-1.jpg

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, his Avian Vet did, it showed a kidney was going bad, the vet gave Corkey about 6 months to one year to live, that was 4/11, over 2 years.
Wowzers, Corkey is an amazing bird!! (You must be an amazing parront!) good going, Corkey!

I'd feed him whatever is delicious. :) As long as he isn't living on millet alone!! Also make sure he's not dehydrated.

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
What a beautiful boy and congrats on 29 years! I agree with Anne - let him have his seeds...also you can try moistening the pellets to soften them...also small seeds like GoldenFeast treat petite.

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
Get some whole grains like brown rice, oat groats, barley, wheat kernels, quinoa and cook them until they are beginning to get soft and mix them with corn, baby peas, cooked and finely diced carrots. I have a 20 year old with a split mandible so, although he can and does eat seeds, he simply cannot eat enough of them because it takes him a long time with his broken beak and he eats the gloop without a problem (he was emaciated when he came to me -he also had severe liver issues- and is now at a good weight).

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
I don't think anyone else wants to say this but..he may also just be letting go. He's an old chap and you should be proud to have taken such great care of him to make it this far. I know that's a tough thought, but it would be easier on you If you looked at all possibilities. I agree with crushing the pellets and soaking the seed overnight though, and give him his favorite junk food. At this point, you want him to eat anything.

:hug8:

Bushra

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bushra
He is so beautiful :D
I was thinking about baby food ?? maybe
or germinated grains ,, I hope he will stay healthy ^^

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What a handsome boy. 29 is amazing. :) I think everyone gave you good suggestions. You could also try making him birdie bread. Or my tiel really likes the Higgins Wordly Cuisine rice mixes.

j-l-s

Meeting neighbors
I don't think anyone else wants to say this but..he may also just be letting go. He's an old chap and you should be proud to have taken such great care of him to make it this far. I know that's a tough thought, but it would be easier on you If you looked at all possibilities. I agree with crushing the pellets and soaking the seed overnight though, and give him his favorite junk food. At this point, you want him to eat anything.

:hug8:
Yes I have ... it very hard for me to think about letting go ...
the Vet said, I will know when its time to (take him to the vet for the last time) :(