• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Cockatiel trouble

Tiel Girl

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tiel Girl
Hey everyone,
I have a cockatiel who is 11 years old. Her beak only started overgrowing in December so I took her for a beak trim yesterday by a vet. He also sprayed her for mites.
She hasn’t eaten properly since. She generally doesn’t like anything other than her seed mix but she occasionally tries crackers, rice, bread, broccoli and lettuce. She did eat a little bit of the crackers but she refuses her seeds entirely. She tried biting the lettuce and broccoli but her beak wasn’t able to pierce it properly so she didn’t bother. I’ve tried plain yogurt, scrambled eggs, papaya and grapes but she refused them all. I also tried mashing her foods and she still refused it.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Here’s a picture of her after the beak trim.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Oh goodness, I'm sure it's sore. Try some soft cooked foods, like sweet potato, peas...oh I see you tried soft eggs...darn...might need pain med like Meloxicam..but gosh I dint know what beak looked like before? But it should have a hook and a point
Was there evidence of mites? It's so very rare here in the states ...

Tiel Girl

Real Name
Tiel Girl
She did have a pointed beak before. I attached a picture of her before the overgrowth. the vet did say it would take about 3 trims to reshape it properly (once every 3 weeks) but I believe that it may be too sensitive and blunt right now. It did bleed for about a minute when it was cut.

She had a few strung out feathers which I thought was old age and her feet were a bit scaly. The vet said that the scaly feet was a sign of mites.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Is the vet you saw an avian vet?

If that pic was from just before seeing the vet then I am a bit confused why her beak was touched as it looks perfectly fine to me.

Tiel Girl

Real Name
Tiel Girl
There aren’t many avian vets around where I live. It only has 1 who is 2 hours away. The vet I visited was the one with the most experience and recommended by the other vets in the area.

That was her beak before the overgrowth even happened.

The picture attached here shows the overgrowth on the bottom beak and her top beak was also overgrown but you can’t clearly see it in this photo. I honestly thought the top beak would be filed to the correct length and the bottom beak clipped but the vet clipped both and said he would reshape in subsequent visits.

Attachments

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Does she ever chew on cuttlebone/mineral blocks? That can help shape things up in the future. I do think too much was taken off on both the upper and lower beak for this visit.

Usually beak overgrowth isn't an issue unless there are liver problems. Have any tests on the liver been run?

Tiel Girl

Real Name
Tiel Girl
She has the grit ladders and the cuttlebone in her cage and she is trying to grind more on it. She ate the seeds today when I did a rough grind so she doesn’t have to peel it herself. She also was eating small amounts of lettuce today.

No tests were run. I did give her extra calcium in December which the vet said more than likely caused the overgrowth due to the excess. I think he is monitoring her to see how quickly it grows back.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I don't believe the upper beak needed anything...but then I wasn't there, I see the lower had little uneven ware that a little shaping might have helped.
I think your baby got way to much taken off..

She needs more things to chew, tho that's not going to happen right away with ouchie beak.
But toy options with softer wood , like solla, cork, yucca , other softer wood , and natural materials In parrot safe toys. We have great vendors here, and even if you don't purchase you can get ideas of what to look for .

Then parrots keep beaks in shape and it's really really rare to need a trim unless health, malformed or such.
Many of the toys in this thread would give you ideas

Aestatis

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
She has the grit ladders and the cuttlebone in her cage and she is trying to grind more on it. She ate the seeds today when I did a rough grind so she doesn’t have to peel it herself. She also was eating small amounts of lettuce today.

No tests were run. I did give her extra calcium in December which the vet said more than likely caused the overgrowth due to the excess. I think he is monitoring her to see how quickly it grows back.
I don't mean to disrespect your vet, but I have never heard of extra calcium causing overgrowth. Usually it would be a deficiency of calcium, vitamin a, or vitamin d. If others can chime in to correct me please do. Or, maybe she has a physical deformity that is causing uneven wear.

Either way, it's already done so I am happy to hear she is slowly feeling better. :D It was very caring of you to pre-hull her seeds!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I don't mean to disrespect your vet, but I have never heard of extra calcium causing overgrowth. Usually it would be a deficiency of calcium, vitamin a, or vitamin d. If others can chime in to correct me please do. Or, maybe she has a physical deformity that is causing uneven wear.

Either way, it's already done so I am happy to hear she is slowly feeling better. :D It was very caring of you to pre-hull her seeds!
Agree.
I'm pretty sure she had no mites either...:(
Low vitamin A , low humidity can cause dry skin . Don't do supplements, getting it from real food is best , any peppers but , yellow orange and red bell pepper are good, sweet potato and squash raw or cooked. Romaine lettuce, a little egg,

How is her ouchie beak ?

Last edited:

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mites are extremely rare these days, and to my knowledge that doesn’t look like mites. Did the vet find mites on your bird?

I think you could be dealing with one or more of the following: (1) a sore beak resulting from a bad trim job, (2) toxic effects of the spray, or (3) underlying disease that made the beak overgrow to begin with.

Make an appointment with the avian vet that’s farther away. They can look for underlying causes of the overgrown and potentially correct the bad trim your bird got, or at least help.

In the meantime, give her soft foods. I also found that egg food was great for my green cheek when his beak was overgrown. It’s high-calorie, fortified, and easy for them to eat.