• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel suggestions

sababab

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I got a cockatiel for 4-5 days now, he is not tame really afraid of hands and some other stuff
(Millet stick)
First two days when I would change/clean his food bowl, he'd get really scared and flop around his cage while I was trying to get his food and water, even though I'd softly talk and compliment him and act/move calmly, today he was more calm and was not running, jumping, flopping around when I was cleaning the cage, food and water

Regarding the millet.

What I do is I take off some millet crumbs and feed him like that and he eats them from hand only like that and only through cage,

mistakes I did were:

I let him out 2 times cause he seemed like cry chirping and I felt really bad since I know those birds never ever flew,
So I opened his door, he seemed hesitant at first, but then finally came out and started wandering around his cage, then he started flying high high at the ceiling and just wouldn't land anywhere lower, I wasn't chasing him, just letting him enjoy the his time, but after hour of flying and then sitting in same place I had to get him to the cage cause I had to go, so in both times I just killed the light and softly caught him and put him back in.

After that I resist on letting him out, at least not until he'll get used to hands, even though he is jumping around and tweeting a lot and loudly in the cage.

So my question is how do I get him used to me and to hands in general?
I talk to him everyday on an eye level, never raise my voice, tweet along with him, feed him millet from hand,

So is there anything more I can do to get him used to me besides just waiting and feeding him millet from outside cage?
Also should I place him in different rooms from time to time?

What else do you suggest? Please do let me know!!

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
4-5 days is a really small amount of time. He's not had a chance to really settle in yet.

His cage needs to be larger, and he needs perches and toys.

As for taming, just keep doing what you're doing. I would only let him out if you've got more time to let him explore so you can avoid having to catch him though.

sababab

Meeting neighbors
4-5 days is a really small amount of time. He's not had a chance to really settle in yet.

As for taming, just keep doing what you're doing. I would only let him out if you've got more time to let him explore so you can avoid having to catch him though.
Thanks for your input!

I have ordered him some toys and perches, they'll be sometime though...

Also about the letting out, thing is, I live with my parents and even when I have time, sometimes annoying neighbors just barge in some with dog, some with just little kid and I just cannot catch a break.

sababab

Meeting neighbors

Also how do I get him into the cage? Should I just wait for him to go in himself?

If so I'll definitely give him some more time to explore, if I'll know ahead that nobody will Barge in.
Thank you once again

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, that cage is way too small and round cages really aren't good for birds. I know it's sometimes hard to find cages but rectangular cages are much better, and the cage should be at least 1.5 times a bird's wing span. Food is a good motivator to get a bird back in his cage- like millet spray. I would also start looking into target training. There are some good youtube videos on it it.

sababab

Meeting neighbors
Yes, that cage is way too small and round cages really aren't good for birds. I know it's sometimes hard to find cages but rectangular cages are much better, and the cage should be at least 1.5 times a bird's wing span. Food is a good motivator to get a bird back in his cage- like millet spray. I would also start looking into target training. There are some good youtube videos on it it.
I will get him a new cage later sometime, until then toys and perches will arrive for him, by the way he has a swing there that he rreeeeeeaaallllyyyy loves swinging on haha

sababab

Meeting neighbors

How long should i wait before letting him out at all?
a month?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have an untamed linnie and I just wait for him to go back in his cage.

Since his cage is so small, I would be letting him out as much as possible.

aaa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Angelena
Your bird is very pretty!:awww:
I’m a first time cockatiel owner and this is how I bonded with my bird. I hope this helps!:laugh:

When I first got my bird he mainly observed me. He didn’t want to be touched, have me too close, anything really. I left him in his cage for a few weeks and didn’t let him out until I felt like he was a bit more comfortable with me. For those couple of weeks I spent as much time as I could by his cage where he could clearly see me doing very calm activities. I would sit next to his cage reading, on my phone, eating, studying, etc. Throughout these days I would also feed him millet. But I fed him through his cage on the vine. I suggest doing it as far away as possible, with your arm stretched, so he feels less threatened by you. As you continue to do this, you will notice he will get more comfortable with you when you feed the millet. When he does, I would get closer to the cage first, then him. Eventually you will be able to feed him millet from the palm of your hand :)
It is a very patient process but it is a very rewarding feeling when he finally bonds to you!… I really hope this helps!:swoon:

I know a few people already suggested getting a bigger cage, but I highly recommend that! Putting him in a bigger cage will make him feel more secure and definitely make him feel more trusting in his surroundings (which includes you). I also know cages can be expensive, Facebook marketplace sometimes have some good prices on used cages. I bought 2 used cages from a bird store and got a really good deal on them, maybe that’s something you could look into?… Just a few ideas:)

sababab

Meeting neighbors
Your bird is very pretty!:awww:
I’m a first time cockatiel owner and this is how I bonded with my bird. I hope this helps!:laugh:

When I first got my bird he mainly observed me. He didn’t want to be touched, have me too close, anything really. I left him in his cage for a few weeks and didn’t let him out until I felt like he was a bit more comfortable with me. For those couple of weeks I spent as much time as I could by his cage where he could clearly see me doing very calm activities. I would sit next to his cage reading, on my phone, eating, studying, etc. Throughout these days I would also feed him millet. But I fed him through his cage on the vine. I suggest doing it as far away as possible, with your arm stretched, so he feels less threatened by you. As you continue to do this, you will notice he will get more comfortable with you when you feed the millet. When he does, I would get closer to the cage first, then him. Eventually you will be able to feed him millet from the palm of your hand :)
It is a very patient process but it is a very rewarding feeling when he finally bonds to you!… I really hope this helps!:swoon:

I know a few people already suggested getting a bigger cage, but I highly recommend that! Putting him in a bigger cage will make him feel more secure and definitely make him feel more trusting in his surroundings (which includes you). I also know cages can be expensive, Facebook marketplace sometimes have some good prices on used cages. I bought 2 used cages from a bird store and got a really good deal on them, maybe that’s something you could look into?… Just a few ideas:)
Hi, thanks for your reply, i llet him out a couple times as i said, but i still had to catch him in the end... im afraid that he'll never get used to me if i keep letting him out out of pity (he tweets sadly..? and jumps around so i feel bad and let him out),
the thing is, he's in a room ( not too small ) mostly where we have windows and curtains ( dark nontransparent curtains that are not stretched too much during day and transparent white that just are in front of the windows yknow, just curtains. ) so what he does is he mostly flies very high and grabs on the curtains and doesn't want to land anywhere else.

he's somewhat used to hands by now i guess... cause whenever im cleaning cage or changing food he doesn't flap around or panic like he used the first-two days. he also im feeding him millet through and he even takes it when i have my hand inside the cage so i guess we're getting somewhere.

also when he's on the curtains, i guess he's looking out of the window? should i close the dark curtains so that the outside world won't be visible OR should i even let him out at all or just keep him in cage for few more weeks?
what do you think?

thanks in advance!