• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel scared of everything, please help!

Josh

Strolling the yard
My cockatiel seems to be scared of everything! He is even scared when I change his food type or offer him a small treat. If I try to get him to step up he hisses and lunges at me. Please help me get used to my hands and not to be scared of everything. Thanks.

kitkat44

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katlin
Welcome to Avian Avenue! And was he hand fed? If so he may just be getting used to everything, as I am assuming he hasen't been with you long? And Cockatiels do tend to be a little jumpy as a whole compared to other parrots, who don't mind a little more commotion. Ours when out gets alert and stops what hes doing every time he hears something pretty much, as if he has to make sure everything is ok, before resuming play.

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Welcome! How long have you had your bird? It's true, cockatiels do tend to be very skittish. If you just got him, then he is still settling in and needs to learn in time that you are not going to eat him and there's nothing to be afraid of. It sounds as though he is not tame, so you need to keep in mind that you look like a predator to him. A giant monster. Take a deep breathe, a step back and remember: PATIENCE. Don't ask him to step up on your hand at this point, he is nowhere near ready for that. When you need to reach into the cage to change the food and water, do so gently and slowly, and talk reassuringly while you do it. Eventually he should stop panicking when you do this. As for giving him treats, he's still too scared to take them from your hand, so slowly drop one into his food dish from outside when you walk by his cage. Sit and talk to him, read aloud, or just let him see you going about your daily activities (on the computer, etc). Don't stare at him too much (it'll make him more nervous). Once he starts to relax, then you can start trying to hand-feed him the treats, and just place your hand in or on the cage (not too close to him) for a few minutes at a time to show him that it won't hurt him. I would push the cage up to the back of a couch, or a table, and leave it open while you're around. Once he's started to feel secure in his cage, he'll probably want to come out and explore.

Again, I would wait to do any sort of step-up training until you see him starting to trust you more and not act so afraid. Hands tend to be the scariest part of us to a little prey animal, and even a bird who wants to be friends can sometimes have a very hard time accepting hands. I have a couple of tiels who will step onto a hand-held perch for millet, but they're not too sure about my hands yet (in fact, one is still terrified of them and I've had her four months).

The most important thing is to go at the bird's pace, even if it seems agonizingly slow to us humans. A week is like a nanosecond to them. Pushing them out of their comfort zone will get you nowhere. Back off as soon as you notice any insecurity or fear. Respect the bird's wishes and respect his space. You will be rewarded for it in the end. :)

Josh

Strolling the yard
I've had Spike (my cockatiel) for 2 years now. He was raised hand-fed at a breeder. He used to be fine when I got him but now he is scared of everything

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
Oh, okay. That's a bit odd. Did you he not get handled for a while, or something? Is there any way that something or somebody could have traumatized him? How does he act when he's out of the cage -- just as scared?

Josh

Strolling the yard
I treated him the same as when I got him and I don't think he was traumatized, but my cat got near him when he was on the ground. Could that traumatize him? And when I can get him out of his cage he tries his best to get back to it and he is just as scared as ever. Thanks for the help!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes, a cat getting near a bird can traumatize them...after all cats are prey animals. Keep your cat far away from the b ird..maybe if he sees that the cat is nowhere in the vicinity then he will start going back to normal again.

Josh

Strolling the yard
Thanks for the help, but I haven't even let Spike and my cat near each other since it happened, but Spike does seem scared if he hears her meow. Is there a way I could hand train him again so he isn't as scared of everything?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I think that one incident really scared him...I think you should back his cage up to a couch or chair if possible, (put an old blanket or sheet or towel on the couch) leave the cage door open..put a treat such as millet on the couch and one on the top of the cage..leave the door open..let him come out on his own terms...sit back somewhere, read a book, do whatever...don't reach into his cage and force him to come out. soft talking, no sharp, sudden movements..what else has changed..think carefully...any new nailpolish? hair dos? piercings? new clothing that could have scared him?

Josh

Strolling the yard
IMG_20130821_100423.jpg Nope nothing new. And whenever I open his cage up he either doesn't come out or goes on top and refuses to come down. I can't seem to train him either because usually training requires treats, or a stick, or anything like that, but he is scared of them all. I attached a picture of him. How does his cage look? I think he needs more stuff, but he is scared of that too.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I think maye a couple more perches in there and a couple more toys..nothing major to overwhelm him Have you taken him to an avian vet lately for a wellness check? You should eliminate any medical issues too. also he may be hormonal. Is there any possibility at all that when you were not there someone teased or scared him?

Josh

Strolling the yard
I don't think so, since I keep him in my room to keep him safe from our cat. And I just brought him to the vet a week or two ago, and they say he is fine, but I do notice he is never that active.

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
If it were me, I'd get another cockatiel to keep him company. They feel safer in numbers, being flock animals...especially if he is isolated in your room...

I know everyone says, "Don't get another bird for your bird" and it's true to an extent. There's no guarantee that they'd love each other. But it might help him relax. I'd get a tame female, quarantine her for a few weeks and bond with her, then bring her into the room (with a separate cage at first, probably) and let them meet. I have a feeling he'd feel a lot safer with a buddy around, and if she is tame then he can re-learn to trust you from her example.

Just a thought. Otherwise, I can't think of anything other than to start over from square one as if he was a wild bird. Which you seem to already be doing. How long has he been like this?

You can also try leaving the TV or radio on for him in the room, as silence tends to make them even more nervous.

Josh

Strolling the yard
He has been like this for a while now, I don't know exactly how long. And I would like to get another bird, but I couldn't afford it and I wouldn't want eggs and chicks from a male and female. Also I am trying to start again from square one, just as you said. One strange thing is that usually in the morning he gladly steps up onto my hand, but then is in a bad mood and bites me for the rest of the day.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I disagree with getting him another bird...you need to solve the problem you have Just give him time, soft talking, no loud noises etc. (are you playing loud music..they hate that)..ignore the bites..we have a hen that bites all the time..we just ignore them..

Josh

Strolling the yard
There aren't any loud noises and he is actually the loudest thing in the house since he shrieks whenever I leave. But then when I come back and try to get him to step up, he hisses and lunges at me. The rest of the time he just sits and does nothing or eats his food. Thanks for all the help so far! I'm sure he'll get nicer eventually.

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
I've just noticed that tiels do better in numbers, Anne. Juju was a nervous wreck as an only tiel. And Astrid would probably still not trust me at all if she didn't see the others interacting with me. Josh says that he can't afford another bird, so that's out. Not saying it's the only solution, but it was a thought.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Talk to him softly while he is in his cage...I would not put my hands in there unless to add food, water, toys, etc. My tiels are not afraid of me - but they do not like when my hands are in their cage...if I want them to come out - I just open the door and let them come out when they are ready. Offer him some millet outside of his cage - (as long as the cat is not around and Spike is safe). Was he cagebound before living with you...it will take time - but he'll come out.:)

My tiels favorite toys are shreddables - something they can chew, esp balsa.

Good luck with him - he's very pretty!

Josh

Strolling the yard
Thanks, and Spike loves to shred too! I often get him bird kabobs, which he likes after an initial stage of fear, just like other toys and perches I put in. There is also one toy that he absolutely HATES maybe it hit him or something when he was younger or something like that. I keep that toy hidden away.

ImaBirdMom

Real Name
Jessica
This may have been mentioned... But do you ever just leave his cage door open for him to venture out by himself? Of course do this when no other animal is around or your door
Is open . You said his cage is in Your room? I would simply just do whatever you normally do... Watch tv... Listen to radio.. Read... Computer... And see if he comes out... One day at a time. Eventually maybe offer some millet on your bed or wherever you are okay with him going. He's a handsome guy :) do you have a picture of his whole cage?