• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel owner heartbreak

C_meiks

Moving in
Hello everyone! I recently lost my beloved little guy. He was a 6 year old cockatiel and taken way too soon. It’s absolutely devastated me and left me so heartbroken as it happened so suddenly without much warning. I had recently moved house and just assumed he wasn’t settling too well into our new place because as we all know cockatiels are such creatures of habit. He was in fact ill but hiding it some days so was hard to detect and we just put it down to home sickness. He eventually stopped eating and just slept all day and after several trips to and from the vets where they were treating him for chlamydiosis he eventually passed away in my husbands hands. It’s been the longest 6 weeks and I still cry pretty much most days as I miss my little best friend so much. Has anyone else been through anything similar and found anything that helped in coming to terms with a cockatiel/bird loss. Thank you

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss. I was devastated when my cockatiel Sunny died. So I understand how you're feeling. I think time really is the only cure. You never stop missing them but it's not the heart wrenching pain. Also doing something in his memory - make a collage, donate to a rescue, etc can help.

lullabies

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Keke
Im so sorry for your loss, I lost my 4 year old conure very abruptly about a year ago and it definitely takes time. You'll start feeling better eventually, and personally for me taking up a new hobby helps with grief. I hope you start feeling better soon!!

C_meiks

Moving in
Im so sorry for your loss, I lost my 4 year old conure very abruptly about a year ago and it definitely takes time. You'll start feeling better eventually, and personally for me taking up a new hobby helps with grief. I hope you start feeling better soon!!
Thank you so much. Such a hard time isn’t it. No one else really understands unless they’ve also lost a much loved bird how awful it is.

C_meiks

Moving in
I am very sorry for your loss. I was devastated when my cockatiel Sunny died. So I understand how you're feeling. I think time really is the only cure. You never stop missing them but it's not the heart wrenching pain. Also doing something in his memory - make a collage, donate to a rescue, etc can help.
Thank you so much! Everyone says time is the only thing but it’s good to hear it from someone who has also been there. I’m also so sorry for your loss. I totally understand how painful it is.

C_meiks

Moving in
Also, I’m so very sorry for your loss too.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am so sorry for your loss they definitely leave a massive hole in our hearts

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Thank you! So heartbreaking isn’t it. Like losing a much loved member of the family
Definitely is I think they are more than family we spend every day with them