• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel must haves?

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Goldenfeast cockatiel blend. Best ingredients ever. Look on goldenfeasr direct and you will find it. Can be fed along with Harrison's pellets.
I don't think sunflower seeds are good for birds, I would limit them to 4 per day or less. u can easily pick them out if u have the time and patience

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My customer's cockatiels really like balsa, yucca, 1/8" pine, vine balls/stars, palm, and cane.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Okay...maybe this was just my crazy tiel but he absolutely loved his metal bell that hung from a chain over his perch. He would sing to it and then duck under it and stand up so that it sat on his head like a hat. He would take his "hat" on and off all day. Other times he would fight the bell like it was his mortal enemy!
That sounds adorable! I will for sure get a bell toy

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Slowly collecting things for my new bird! Should be picking him/her up in 8 to 11 weeks from now.

What do you all use for their food and water? Are there dishes that are better than others?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I use stainless steel bowls since they are easier than plastic to keep clean and can go into the dishwasher. My birds also drink out of water bottles, which I wash every day.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
stainless steel lasts longer, I guess after a year u would want to replace plastic cups/bowls ? Im not sure how long they last

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Goldenfeast australian blend and nutriberries are what Buddy eats. We keep on trying fresh veggies, but she has no interest. She loves her cage by the window, and toys she can shred (when she's in the mood).

I'd buy stock in millet. Also, vitakraft sun seed rings (grass seed and spinach) are good for a treat. We hang the ring in her cage where it's sort of convenient, but she needs to work to get most of the grass seed.

If you have a work desk, I'd bird proof it and be prepared to have a setup for your fid there. My desk is basically Buddy's play stand.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
All of my birds adore versele-laga prestige sticks. I hang it from their cages or use it as perches for them to climb into to get at the treats. They don't even realize they're eating something healthy as they pick the seeds and pellets off the stick. I haven't tried other brands with them, but I'm sure any similar products you can find would be just perfect.

A harness might also be a good investment. My tiel and I love going out to the park together.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
So most of you use dishes? I saw some bottles and these like bottles with a dish area under them? If that makes sense haha

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
All of my birds adore versele-laga prestige sticks. I hang it from their cages or use it as perches for them to climb into to get at the treats. They don't even realize they're eating something healthy as they pick the seeds and pellets off the stick. I haven't tried other brands with them, but I'm sure any similar products you can find would be just perfect.

A harness might also be a good investment. My tiel and I love going out to the park together.
I'm planning to get a flight suit! Which doubles as a diaper and harness.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I for sure will! Hoping I can get him used to it, even if it takes a while.
In my experience with the harness, it's going to be harder getting it OFF than it is getting it on. Not because your bird wants to STAY in it, but because that's the real scary part.
:scared1:

Just be patient with your tiel. I highly recommend taking your bird into a small, escape-proof room and closing the door when it's time to get out of the suit

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
In my experience with the harness, it's going to be harder getting it OFF than it is getting it on. Not because your bird wants to STAY in it, but because that's the real scary part.
:scared1:

Just be patient with your tiel. I highly recommend taking your bird into a small, escape-proof room and closing the door when it's time to get out of the suit
That is great insight. I had never thought of that! Great idea going into a smaller room, I'm going to work on bird proofing all my rooms.... as much as possible anyways.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Actually if you are going to use Goldenfeast, you may want to try the Petite Legume blend. Instead of sunflower seeds, which Bella will not touch, it is loaded with organic freeze dried veggies. I can't get Bella to eat a normal carrot but she devours all of the dried carrots in the mix. Also, if you buy from the company directly, it is cheaper and they give you samples of their other products so you can see what your bird likes. The other important thing to know about tiels are that they are stubborn little birds. When trying to give them veggies, you may have to try a million ways to get them to eat them so don't be too discouraged if it takes a while. If you wind up getting a female, it is also important not to pet her on her back and move her toys around so she doesn't want to lay eggs.

Akoni

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Platform perches for the cage. They forage on the ground often in the wild, so they like flat perches in addition to stick perches.

My (now deceased) female tiel used to love swings. My male tiel does not.

Space for them to fly and roam on foot, outside of their cage and play areas. My tiel likes to explore and get into everything.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Okay...maybe this was just my crazy tiel but he absolutely loved his metal bell that hung from a chain over his perch.
Wow... my TD loves bells, too. He has a disco ball in his cage that has one hanging from the bottom. TD is so funny. He'll stick his head into the bell, trying to get the tongue I presume, but then he just stands there with his face inside the bell. It looks like he's wearing a gas mask! Sometimes he goes up to the bell and says, "C'mere Cutie, gimme a kiss" Then he makes kissing noises. Then he lifts up his left foot and says, "Tickle, tickle, tickle". The next minute he is having an all out war with the thing. He gets going so hard and fast, I'm afraid he'll fall off his perch (or give himself a heart attack)! Of course, during the fight, I'm on the sidelines, cheering on my little one, saying, "Disco sucks!".