• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel lost a lot of weight after being sick!

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
Are Nutriberries and AviCakes available to you? Most birds really love these, and they are balanced like pellets with additional vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc. There is also a version of AviCakes that is only available from vets that is formulated specifically for birds recovering from illness. My cockatiel especially likes AviCakes.
Looks like I can get some on ebay, I'll consider! (might even ask a vet about it)

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm very surprised he isn't still on antibiotics. Typically it takes 7-10 days of them at minimum to clear an infection.

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
I'm very surprised he isn't still on antibiotics. Typically it takes 7-10 days of them at minimum to clear an infection.
The vent didn't say it was necessary? Like the main reason why he was so weak was the huge weight loss he had

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The vent didn't say it was necessary? Like the main reason why he was so weak was the huge weight loss he had

Usually there is an underlying reason for weight loss. For my Jardines, it was that he was fed only a cockatiel seed mix and he only ate the sunflowers and safflowers out of it. So he literally was starving, but his body also was not being nourished by his food which made him ill. He also did not require antibiotics as everything was fueled by a bad diet.

It sounded like he an infection in his "guts?" That would be the likely reason for the weight loss, not that weight loss caused the infection. If the infection doesn't get cleared up, then he may continue to lose weight or at least not gain because the infection would interfere.

Was the antibiotic given an oral? Injection?

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard

Usually there is an underlying reason for weight loss. For my Jardines, it was that he was fed only a cockatiel seed mix and he only ate the sunflowers and safflowers out of it. So he literally was starving, but his body also was not being nourished by his food which made him ill. He also did not require antibiotics as everything was fueled by a bad diet.

It sounded like he an infection in his "guts?" That would be the likely reason for the weight loss, not that weight loss caused the infection. If the infection doesn't get cleared up, then he may continue to lose weight or at least not gain because the infection would interfere.

Was the antibiotic given an oral? Injection?
He seems cured now, because he do eat, it'd not that..

He got injections

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would be very surprised if that was physically possible
Can you contact the vet and ask why he isn't on meds now?

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
I would be very surprised if that was physically possible
Can you contact the vet and ask why he isn't on meds now?
I'll look into it.
Though he's doing alot better and I do believe the vet knows what he's doing :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
At least here in the States there are sadly a lot of bad vets that DON'T know what they are doing with birds :( So some of us have learned to be skeptical! We also have an issue with antibiotic resistant bacteria that has been made basically by over using antibiotics when they aren't needed, or not using enough of them when they ARE needed.

So it comes from a place of caring, I promise :) I have heard of single dose antibiotics shots but I have never been offered one.

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
At least here in the States there are sadly a lot of bad vets that DON'T know what they are doing with birds :( So some of us have learned to be skeptical! We also have an issue with antibiotic resistant bacteria that has been made basically by over using antibiotics when they aren't needed, or not using enough of them when they ARE needed.

So it comes from a place of caring, I promise :) I have heard of single dose antibiotics shots but I have never been offered one.
I really do appreciate it!<3 In denmark we only have a few who specialize in birds, they're not bad at all!
I have to drive 2 and a half hours to see mine, and believe me, he's the best vet I've ever been to.
He used to have cockatiels himself and therefore had a very good understanding about what he was doing.
I was in contact with alot of different vets and none of them knew what to do. So I kept searching and eventually came across this vet.
Honestly I'm glad I did!
Turbo is eating and feeling much better, he just needs to gain weight :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I really do appreciate it!<3 In denmark we only have a few who specialize in birds, they're not bad at all!
I have to drive 2 and a half hours to see mine, and believe me, he's the best vet I've ever been to.
He used to have cockatiels himself and therefore had a very good understanding about what he was doing.
I was in contact with alot of different vets and none of them knew what to do. So I kept searching and eventually came across this vet.
Honestly I'm glad I did!
Turbo is eating and feeling much better, he just needs to gain weight :)

I am glad :)

Ripley came to me needing to gain 30 grams (was at 200 with a sharp keel bone, needing to be about 230, maybe more). For him I do the mash I described (I am using Zupreem Embrace Plus), plus I use Avitech AviGain (not sure if that is there but it is for weight gain). I also mix in Red Palm Oil for the Vitamin A as he is very deficient in it. I sometimes also add in almond butter, hemp seeds, or chia seeds. Healthy proteins and fats will help a lot!

He is now up 10 grams in the last 2 months :)

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard

I am glad :)

Ripley came to me needing to gain 30 grams (was at 200 with a sharp keel bone, needing to be about 230, maybe more). For him I do the mash I described (I am using Zupreem Embrace Plus), plus I use Avitech AviGain (not sure if that is there but it is for weight gain). I also mix in Red Palm Oil for the Vitamin A as he is very deficient in it. I sometimes also add in almond butter, hemp seeds, or chia seeds. Healthy proteins and fats will help a lot!

He is now up 10 grams in the last 2 months :)
I am honestly sure Turbo is just being very picky because that's very like him.
This morning I put out a few seeds on a towel to see if he eats.
he eats but is very picky about what seeds he wants to eat.
I'll order some pellets asap and hoping it'll help him a bit...

For now I'll get him to eat just about everything he wants.

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
I'm going to reply to this thread just to update ya all.
Turbo is back at being healthy and well.
he has gained weight.
he started to play and sing again.
Honestly I can't thank everyone enough for helping me out!

Turbo is now getting pellets alongside seeds and vegetables, so far he seems alright!

Thank you for taking time out of your day to help me and little Turbo out.
<3 IMG_20181031_173918_858.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Such pretty tiels! I'm glad Turbo is doing better. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder