• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel, I'm panicking help

YourShadows

Moving in
Im panicking right now, my lola (cockatiel) was sat on the back of my chair. i sat down on the chair (not her) but didnt lean back fully, suddenly there was one hell of a racket and she's in panic mode flying around non stop but not flying properly. after fishing her out from the back of my desk twice i see shes missing most of her tail feathers, i cant spot any blood but she isnt letting me near her to even check. All the feathers i found look like the end is closed off. Currently shes back in her cage

There is no way i would be able to get her to a vet until mid next week at the earliest, please, is she going to be alright? she was also biting properly (not her normal ones) when i tried getting close to her

I'm not the most mentally sound person as it is and she is my only companion, i can't have anything happen to her

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Is there any bleeding? Or just missing feathers?

Am I right to assume that you may have leaned on her tail feathers and caught them between your back and the chair?

YourShadows

Moving in
i dont know if i leant on her, i dont think i leant back. missing feathers and i cant see any blood, but if its hidden under her other feathers (not tail ones body ones)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What happened is your bird’s tail feathers became trapped somehow and she released them.

Birds have the ability in a life threatening situation (in their mind) to release feathers. If a predator has ahold of the tail that’sa life threatening situation.
They’ll grow back fairly quickly because they were pulled. If your bird is fine otherwise there’s not much you can do.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Take some deep breaths and try to relax a bit. Panicking won’t help you nor your bird.

It does sound to me like your bird is fine from your description. Maybe a little freaked out that it got trapped (or thought it did) between you and the chair but freaked out is better than injured.

Going by JLcribbers post I believe he also feels your bird is fine given your description of what happened.

If there is no blood loss to worry about and your bird has settled down then I’d say just keep an eye on your bird and try to stay calm so you don’t panic the bird.

YourShadows

Moving in
I'm sorry for panicking so much, and thank you both for your help, i think the only lasting damage will be trust. she seems to be fine, and i managed to get a close-ish look and there isnt any blood. I didnt realise that them removing their tail feathers was a thing and jumped right into panic mode. Also it might've been better looking it up before posting in the emergency forum, sorry again about that.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
They do it just like John said so if she otherwise seems fine she'll get over it and they will grow back faster than normal so unless something else turns up relax and let her get over the shock and forgive you.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
We’ve had this happen too, hubby stepped on the tiel’s tail with his size 14 shoes. Bird calmed down by the next day.

Sorry that it freaked you out! But I get it — when ours happened it was a shock.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I'm sorry for panicking so much, and thank you both for your help, i think the only lasting damage will be trust. she seems to be fine, and i managed to get a close-ish look and there isnt any blood. I didnt realise that them removing their tail feathers was a thing and jumped right into panic mode. Also it might've been better looking it up before posting in the emergency forum, sorry again about that.

Please don’t be sorry for caring so much about your bird that it caused you some emotional distress. This shows just how much you care and is a much better reaction than just automatically not worrying about your bird and assuming everything will be fine.
To care and do whatever you can to make your bird ok is something you should never apologise for! :hug8:

I am so glad that everything is not as bad as you originally thought it may have been :)