• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel diet questions

featherdust

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm getting my first cockatiel next month and I have a few questions regarding it's diet. I know that people's opinions differ, but do you think that the following diet is nutritional? Is there anything I should adjust?

I'd feed around 4 nutriberries in the morning. At night I'd give a tablespoon of vegetable chop and half a tablespoon of it's familiar seed mix that has Zupreem pellets in it.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Sounds good to me! Will he have lunch? Maybe 2 nutriberries for breakfast and 2 for lunch? I don't remember how big they are though

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think it's important for tiels to have access to food 24/7. They're little and have high metabolism rates. My tiel always had seed in his cage to eat. I fed about 50% seeds, 15% nutriberries and then the rest vegetables and grains. I never measured the food. It's very rare for cockatiels to over eat. They're not like cats or dogs where you have to monitor their food intake. (Also, I think there are better pellets out there than Zupreem- just my personal choice.)

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I think it's important for tiels to have access to food 24/7. They're little and have high metabolism rates. My tiel always had seed in his cage to eat. I fed about 50% seeds, 15% nutriberries and then the rest vegetables and grains. I never measured the food. It's very rare for cockatiels to over eat. They're not like cats or dogs where you have to monitor their food intake. (Also, I think there are better pellets out there than Zupreem- just my personal choice.)
I agree!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't measure my 'tiels' food or deal with percentages. They get more seeds than pellets and they have access to their food throughout the day except veggies do get removed. Every day they get an additional treat which varies: Avian Organics baked treat, Lafeber Avicake, Lafeber Parrot Popcorn or a piece of cashew. They get millet @ once a week or less. Their seed mix is Volkman Avian Science Super Cockatiel no sunflower and pellets are Caitec Oven Fresh Bites, small size.

featherdust

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you all for the insight! I've decided to keep a bowl of a pellet and seed mix that the tiel is being weaned onto available at all times. I'll give chop at night and also have nutriberries available very frequently. Now I just need to decide on the cage...