• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cockatiel care site

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Re: Info site

Thank you, I will make it a sticky!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Great website! Thanks! :D

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I don't know who owns that Cockatiel Cottage site, but I have read it over and over in the last 6 months prior to getting Odin! It is a plethora of information. KUDOS

Novembergypsy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bethany
I've been plowing through this site ever since making plans to add 'tiels to our lives. I am grateful for a lot of the informaton. It's frequently very helpful. I love the articles on taming and diet--though I wish I could find something that talked about *when* to feed, as in should some foods be offered at all times? Should fresh foods be offered as daily meals? How then would you stop them filling up on the freely offered seeds and pellets if you offer them between "meals"? If you don't freely offer, how much and when do you give the seeds/pellets? I haven't yet found the answers to this. :think1:

However, I find it odd that sometimes the site will contradict things I know to be true of cockatiels. For example, the article titled "Life with Cockatiels" claims that they don't talk. This, of course, simply isn't true of many male cockatiels and makes me wonder what other information throughout the site is incorrect.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I've been plowing through this site ever since making plans to add 'tiels to our lives. I am grateful for a lot of the informaton. It's frequently very helpful. I love the articles on taming and diet--though I wish I could find something that talked about *when* to feed, as in should some foods be offered at all times? Should fresh foods be offered as daily meals? How then would you stop them filling up on the freely offered seeds and pellets if you offer them between "meals"? If you don't freely offer, how much and when do you give the seeds/pellets? I haven't yet found the answers to this. :think1:

However, I find it odd that sometimes the site will contradict things I know to be true of cockatiels. For example, the article titled "Life with Cockatiels" claims that they don't talk. This, of course, simply isn't true of many male cockatiels and makes me wonder what other information throughout the site is incorrect.
Cockatiel cottage has some great basic info. I've been told but am not positive, that it's no longer updated though.

As for food, my understanding is that tiels should have access to food 24/7. They have high metabolism rates so need to be able to munch as needed, and unlike dogs, etc. they usually do not over eat. My tiel has access to seeds all day. I give him pellets and fresh food also in the morning and then also fresh food for dinner. I do think fresh food should be offered daily. There's no exact consensus unfortunately on "best" diet for tiels but I shoot for about 50% seeds, 15% pellets and the rest vegetables and grains.

Novembergypsy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bethany
Cockatiel cottage has some great basic info. I've been told but am not positive, that it's no longer updated though.

As for food, my understanding is that tiels should have access to food 24/7. They have high metabolism rates so need to be able to munch as needed, and unlike dogs, etc. they usually do not over eat. My tiel has access to seeds all day. I give him pellets and fresh food also in the morning and then also fresh food for dinner. I do think fresh food should be offered daily. There's no exact consensus unfortunately on "best" diet for tiels but I shoot for about 50% seeds, 15% pellets and the rest vegetables and grains.
Thank you! I appreicate that. Your meal plan sounds about right to me. I've done my homework, and it sounds like, at the end of the day, you just do the best you can with their food. I am getting them Friday and I am ridiculously excited lol

PatsyD

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Patsy
Hi every1, I give my 2 only 1 teaspoon of seeds, a small bowl of rice (about 1 teaspoon) and the biggest portion of greens, spinach mostly, they love, love fennel and dill, cucumber, papaya, strawberries. Then a treat of Millet or a small piece of bread.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Buddy gets a seed/pellet/dried veggie blend all day, which she just grazes. She basically eats on her own schedule. When we eat, I try to get her to try fresh stuff, but she's never interested. The vet says that she's physically very healthy (except for the stroke), so we don't stress much as long as she's eating okay.

PatsyD

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Patsy
Hi Blewin, I try and give them different veggies and fruit, Olive will not even try, but Nino is good, he will try anything LOL

Texas Tiel fan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Robert Seale
Incase anyone in interested, The absolute BEST book on the market I have found is called "The complete book of cockatiels" by Diane Grindoll. I have a good number of tiel books but I think this one stands out.