• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel bump on back

vcatwoman

Moving in
Cockatiel has large bump on back. Increasing in size for two weeks. No other signs of illness. Cannot find avian vet. Help?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Where is it located? If it is down closer to the tail, he could have an impacted preen gland. Where are you located?

vcatwoman

Moving in
More on lower back than tail. No feather loss in area. I have calls out to two avian vets stating it is urgent. One doesnt have openings until September (major vet university center) and other hasn't called back yet.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m also thinking it could be preening gland issue from the description of lower back.
Pictures would help if you can get them.
Also your general location could be helpful so members can possibly help you locate a vet who’s close and able to see you ASAP.

vcatwoman

Moving in
Not the best pix. I am west of Indianapolis but have recently had surgery and can do minimal driving. I also think it sounds like preen gland issue. I tried bathing and a warm compress (bird not happy with that). Thanks for any help. Trying another vet tomorrow that was closed today.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Unfortunately I can’t see the lump or where exactly on the body it might be from those pictures.

If it is the preening gland then you will definitely want that vet checked, I’ve been told by the vet that tumours are as common as blockages so you really want to know what exactly you’re dealing with.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

vcatwoman

Moving in
Update: seen by avian vet today. Dx. was air sac rupture. Both vets at clinic thought unusual without seeing any sign of trauma. Air released and bird doing fine tonight. Otherwise deemed healthy Hopefully an isolated event. If recurrence, will go back for other testing. Feeling thankful tonight.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That´s a good update. Wishing your bird steady healing :)