• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Cockatiel Breathing Fast and Shaking

David A

Meeting neighbors
I am probably panicking over nothing but I just bathed my Cockatiel and Sun Conure in a nice luck warm sink using a special bird Shampoo made by King Cages. The conure is totally fine but the cockatiel isn't really moving, she's just sitting in her cage breathing quickly and shaking.

It's been 7-10 minutes since she was bathed but she's still quite wet. Should I be worried?

David A

Meeting neighbors
That is normal after a bath.
Next time bathe them in the AM so they don't have to sleep wet.
Make sure they are warm tonight!
Phew, thank you. She has a basking light I pulled off my chameleon to warm her up. I'll leave it on for another you or so

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
It's not recommended to use soap/shampoo- even if made for birds. Plain water works fine. :) I hope your tiel is okay.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Beware in using a reptile basking light near a bird. Some have gotten severely burned. Please make sure the bird can move far away from the heat.
Good luck!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I use a heat ceramic bulb for Dobby and keep it far enough away he can't touch the thing or reach the wires. If they can reach it they'll try to touch it. I also keep it far enough away he doesn't get baked and has other areas he can move to if he gets too warm.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
She's fine now, I clearly overreacted lol

Thanks guys
I remember when I first bathed my tiel, I was freaked out. I still get that way a little if they are super trembling!