• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel baby won't wean

Hallie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sarah
I'm weaning a baby cockatiel right now. The person who gave her to me didn't tell me her/his age, but he is fully feathered although the tail feathers still have some growing to do. This bird begs for food constantly. I've been feeding 3 times a day with millet, pellets, and seed in the cage at all times... no progress at all. I've tried to socialize him and offer lots of toys and stimulation, but he only wants to be fed. I weigh the baby before and after every feeding. He's 74 grams, and I've been feeding 7-8 mls of thick formula sometimes a little more according to how full his crop is. I've never weaned a cockatiel before, but I thought it'd be similar to the Conures I've weaned. I understand Conures are a little bit more intelligent, but this guy has NO interest in anything but formula. It's like he's starving constantly. Of course the lady who had him before me butchered his little wings, so he can't fly a lick :mad: . What do I do? I always abundance wean, but this little guy seems to be really behind. :unsure1:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
It really would help if you knew his age...the breeder we got Sam from would not even let us have her until she was 12 weeks old..and after we got her she regressed so we had to hand feed her a few times until she got more comfy. Cockatiels do tend to regress more than other birds do after weaning..however, if you think he is not progressing normally then by all means bring him to an avian vet to make sure there are no underlying health issues. and I honestly think that if his wings were butchered that really makes a difference..I think it may have crippled his natural ability and he just plain regressed.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Marlene beat me to the punch. If he's not ready, he's not ready. What's the rush? Abundance weaning means exactly that.

Hallie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sarah
He came from a broker who buys them from someone else out of nest, so I don't even know if she knew how old he was.

I'm not rushing him at all, and I'm feeding him almost as much as he wants (I think he'd eat til he'd explode). I was just concerned at how he seems to have no interest in anything but the syringe. My conures starting playing with toys and pecking at things before they were even fully feathered. I agree, Anne, I think clipping before the bird weans has a devastating effect. The little guy keeps trying to fly and he can't figure out why his wings won't work. It really breaks my heart, all of his wing feathers are cut. If he tries to fly he goes straight down and hits his breast, so right now he spends most time in the cage or on the floor with me.

I'lll feed him as long as he needs, I just hope he starts to pick at things soon. I've always believed well fed babies are curious babies, so after I feed him I throw seed on a rug in the floor and he gets to 'forage'. He's picked up a seed or two, so hopefully he continues.

I hate brokers, and there seems to be so many around here that just throw unweaned babies at people. At least he's in good hands.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I can imagine how sad it must make you, especially the wings/flying thing. You have good experience with your conures and you'll get through this.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have had Cockatiel babies not wean until they were over 16 weeks old. Try giving the baby warm mushy foods (as well as formula) too.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He will wean when hes ready, poor little guy, dosent even know what his wings are for yet and the breeder clipped him...youll be fine, give him time.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He came from a broker who buys them from someone else out of nest, so I don't even know if she knew how old he was.

I'm not rushing him at all, and I'm feeding him almost as much as he wants (I think he'd eat til he'd explode). I was just concerned at how he seems to have no interest in anything but the syringe. My conures starting playing with toys and pecking at things before they were even fully feathered. I agree, Anne, I think clipping before the bird weans has a devastating effect. The little guy keeps trying to fly and he can't figure out why his wings won't work. It really breaks my heart, all of his wing feathers are cut. If he tries to fly he goes straight down and hits his breast, so right now he spends most time in the cage or on the floor with me.

I'lll feed him as long as he needs, I just hope he starts to pick at things soon. I've always believed well fed babies are curious babies, so after I feed him I throw seed on a rug in the floor and he gets to 'forage'. He's picked up a seed or two, so hopefully he continues.

I hate brokers, and there seems to be so many around here that just throw unweaned babies at people. At least he's in good hands.

Given this (horror) story he's already had a much tougher life at his age than any bird deserves and it's perfectly understandable that he would have seriously regressed.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I would also think that if his tail feathers are still growing in that he would not be of weaning age. I really only have experience with parrotlets but fledging generally comes before weaning or nearly at the same time. So if not fully feathered then wouldn't it be too early to wean. Not sure but that is what I tend to think. Also, is he eating anything else. If not he might need to be fed more like 4 times a day with8 hours off overnight. Like I said I really only know parrotles but it seems like some of the info would transfer to tiels.

Take it for whatever it's worth.

Best wishes to you and the little guy :)

meandmyfids

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
jay
Has he been checked for a yeast infection

Hallie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sarah
Let me just clarify, I am not at all trying to wean this guy. I'm a worrywart and I was just worried about his lack of interest in the world around him. I don't care if it takes him months to wean, I just want a happy, healthy bird in the end. I know he's been through a lot, and I want to do everything to help him. It's just odd to me to see a fully feathered bird not interested in toys or yummy mushy food.

Thanks for the reply, Laurie.
His tail feathers are about 5 inches, so I think they have maybe another inch left. His head and face are completely feathered, and he's nearing the same weight as a young adult so I'm guessing he's close to weaning age. I am feeding 3 times a day and that seems to be working. I'm pretty much feeding him when his crop is empty. I won't decrease feedings until he doesn't want them anymore. All of my babies have weaned themselves, so hopefully this guy will too. Being bounced around like he has been, I can see why he's regressed like JLcribber said. I may try adding a little but of fruit baby food to the formula to give him a taste of real food. :)

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll post some pics of "foster" when I get a chance. Maybe that'll help tell his age.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm so glad he is in your capable hands Sarah. The damage this broker and breeder have done to this bird could quite possibly have already scarred him for life. The beginnings of life for all animals is THE most important stage of life to do well and not damage the psyche. I hope this is not the case and I'm quite confident you will make a huge difference in helping him to thrive from this day forward. :hug8:

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
A yeast infection can make birds ravenous and still incessantly beg for food even with a full crop. I would have a vet check to make sure you don't have an issue there, the fact he has already been passed around would cause enough stress to weaken the immune system for this to be a great possibility.

Other than this you have received some great advice, as long as there isn't a medical reason he will wean in his own time.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Is he eating anything other than the formula? Also, are you feeding him just plain formula? If so, that could be one reason he is always hungry. When I raised Diva Tiel (beak injury by a lovebird), my vet had me disolve my Harrison's pellets and add them to the formula a little at a time until after two or three months really all she was getting was disolved pellets. It helped her to bridge from formula to pellets; she began refusing the formula flavored food and demanding the Harrisons disolved food. Due to her injury, Diva did not wean until whe was 18 months old. Other tiels with normal beaks usually weaned completely by eight weeks, but I had one that went twelve weeks.

Is he with any other tiels that could show him how to forage from the cage floor? That was another thing that helped Diva finally wean.

Hallie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sarah
A yeast infection can make birds ravenous and still incessantly beg for food even with a full crop. I would have a vet check to make sure you don't have an issue there, the fact he has already been passed around would cause enough stress to weaken the immune system for this to be a great possibility.

Other than this you have received some great advice, as long as there isn't a medical reason he will wean in his own time.
I think he's making up for not being fed properly. I watched the lady I got him from feed him and she just shot food down his throat really quick and then went to the next baby. That was it. There was no tasting the food, no interaction, nothing. I think being underfed and under socialized for his first 5-6 weeks got him accustomed to begging constantly. He has gained 4 grams in just the past 5 days. I don't suspect a yeast infection because he is properly digesting everything, and gaining weight accordingly. He has no signs of a yeast infection, he's just a fatty. :rolleyes: I will take him to the vet to get him cleared for adoption whenever he is ready. I'm still waiting for his breast bone to get some fat around it. He's a skinny little guy, but like I said he's doing much better. He's nibbling millet and some pellets.

Is he eating anything other than the formula? Also, are you feeding him just plain formula? If so, that could be one reason he is always hungry. When I raised Diva Tiel (beak injury by a lovebird), my vet had me disolve my Harrison's pellets and add them to the formula a little at a time until after two or three months really all she was getting was disolved pellets. It helped her to bridge from formula to pellets; she began refusing the formula flavored food and demanding the Harrisons disolved food. Due to her injury, Diva did not wean until whe was 18 months old. Other tiels with normal beaks usually weaned completely by eight weeks, but I had one that went twelve weeks.

Is he with any other tiels that could show him how to forage from the cage floor? That was another thing that helped Diva finally wean.
He downright refuses anything I offer if it isn't formula. He begs so much that for awhile I could get away with putting wet Harrison's pellets into his mouth and he would chew and swallow and keep begging for formula, eventually he caught on and now only begs with a closed mouth if he thinks I'm up to anything. He is finally starting to pick around at things. There are seeds and pellets all over the bottom of the cage for him to 'forage', he's also playing with his toys A LOT! I still think it'll be at least two or three more weeks before I put the formula and syringes away for good, but progress it progress and I couldn't be happier. I caught him munching on some millet today while talking to my SO, I hushed him and we both watched the baby eat away at his millet. It was a sacred bird mom moment.

Poor guy is still trying to figure out why his wings won't work. It must be hard for their little brains to understand the lack of such an instinctual thing. I think he thinks if he flaps and jumps up enough he will eventually fly. :unsure1:

Oh, and no, no tiels. He is my only tiel.

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
I think he's making up for not being fed properly. I watched the lady I got him from feed him and she just shot food down his throat really quick and then went to the next baby. That was it. There was no tasting the food, no interaction, nothing. I think being underfed and under socialized for his first 5-6 weeks got him accustomed to begging constantly. He has gained 4 grams in just the past 5 days. I don't suspect a yeast infection because he is properly digesting everything, and gaining weight accordingly. He has no signs of a yeast infection, he's just a fatty. :rolleyes: I will take him to the vet to get him cleared for adoption whenever he is ready. I'm still waiting for his breast bone to get some fat around it. He's a skinny little guy, but like I said he's doing much better. He's nibbling millet and some pellets..
Most of my babies will gulp food down very quickly as well but realise in a few moments that they have food in them and stop begging. Babies with Yeast infections can still be gaining weight dont let the weight gains rule your thoughts of whether the baby is in perfect health or not, I had babies that werent bred by me that I was handrearing several years ago that were having great weight gains but were dead within a week despite vet care and round the clock care largely due to yeast infections. I have also had a couple of Rainbows come out of the nest with yeast infections during the middle of summer and they will gain weight, sometimes it is hard to tell they have it unless it has become severe.

I would be concerend that if your baby is at fledging age and isn't trying food on its own, smaller birds will normally start to pick at food themselves at around 5 weeks of age. I really would reccomend a vet check sooner rather than later so your vet can give you the best advice with feeding, they may also be able to give you an idea of age and can check the overall health.

Hallie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sarah
Most of my babies will gulp food down very quickly as well but realise in a few moments that they have food in them and stop begging. Babies with Yeast infections can still be gaining weight dont let the weight gains rule your thoughts of whether the baby is in perfect health or not, I had babies that werent bred by me that I was handrearing several years ago that were having great weight gains but were dead within a week despite vet care and round the clock care largely due to yeast infections. I have also had a couple of Rainbows come out of the nest with yeast infections during the middle of summer and they will gain weight, sometimes it is hard to tell they have it unless it has become severe.

I would be concerend that if your baby is at fledging age and isn't trying food on its own, smaller birds will normally start to pick at food themselves at around 5 weeks of age. I really would reccomend a vet check sooner rather than later so your vet can give you the best advice with feeding, they may also be able to give you an idea of age and can check the overall health.
I had a conure with yeast before and I could smell it and the baby just wasn't thriving. The smell was very distinct, and the baby was just pitiful. This little guy is running around eating real food and thriving. He's active and he hasn't begged after eating since this post. After I feed him he starts happily chirping and pecking away at real food. To me, this is normal. There isn't anymore incessant begging for food, no yeasty smell, and no real signs of yeast at all. He loves to eat, but is satisfied after eating.

I guess I just don't see any real symptoms of a yeast infection, I'll still give the vet a call but I think he'll more than likely tell me the baby is fine. Like I said before, he is thriving now. I do appreciate the concern and advice, it isn't that I'm not listening but seeing this guy in person really makes a difference. He's due for the vet in a week or so anyways, so I'll bring the possibility of a yeast infection to the vet's attention.

Hallie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sarah
The foster Cockatiel "Foster" is pretty much weaned. I'm feeding him once a day if he begs for it, more as like a comfort feeding. His favorite food is Harrison's pellets, but he'll try just about anything. He's doing great!

I guess he's almost all grown up. :shy:

He's 90 grams and still gaining. To put it in perspective, he was 73 when I got him. His little breast bone stuck out and felt sharp as a knife, now fills like a big pillow. He's a fatty now!

Anyways, just wanted to update anyone who was wondering.