• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Club foot project...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Keeping tract of where he chews and what is chews won't be that hard. Just replace as needed. Hobbs had a favorite area at the top corner of my temporary two by four wall for the indoor aviary. He loved chewing exactly where the two ends of the two by fours came together and he really was dedicated to hollowing out that area where the two peices of board met. I just kept an eye on it so he could not chew his way out and kept replacing a new chunk of two by four in the hole as he widened it. Best toy I ever gave him. Once he got it big enough that he could fit is body in it, I put plywood on the otherside of the aviary and he used to go up there and snuggle into the open area, like it was his own personally decorated home place. To the day he died, he chewed those two by fours farther and farther apart.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
What a wonderful idea for a cage for a special needs birdie. I would never have thought to lay a regular cage on its side like that.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
not mine, but I groomed(her one foot lol) this RB2's toes for her.... She is an adult and there is no signs of wear on the "stub" at all!! she gets around like a rockstar, she has no idea she's handi-abled. :)

IMAG1013.jpg

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
That's exactly what we did with a Sun we have that lost all but one toe prior to our adoption. I just went to the local store and picked up 1x2 poplar boards cut them to length and put a threaded stud into them.

Isn't it wonderful watching these guys figure things out? We have 3 special needs birds and they are just amazing.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
That is really creative putting the cage on the side.. :highfive: I can't wait to see it after all the toys are put in.. :)

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
If you find chewing the wood is a problem, what we did was go to the local Lowes and picked up a sheet of plastic sign board in the glass section.

I cut it so that it fits the bottom of the cage and then we cover it with fleece held in by small rings at several points all around. We then put a 2nd thicker fleece pad in the areas where he soils the most so that it can be changed more than once a day if needed. All of them are changed every evening.

The Wanderer

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Harry
Yeah, that's a good idea, I thought of doing that to a large corner cage actually, but I like having the length to make up for the height lost...but then afterwards I realized I didn't loose any height adding 2 4x4's!

Status
Not open for further replies.