• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clipping Weanlings

Shastasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sally
I raised linnies and I found that most were not comfortable with hands. I do not know why - I certainly did not raise them any different then my other parrots. That said, I normally will confer with the buyer first, but if the baby is being shipped I always clip a few feathers so that it can still fly, but not gain much height, and be able to glide smoothly to the ground. Even though I am on a name basis with the cargo folks at my hub and they know not to open the crates, I can't guarantee that the other hubs will be as sensible. Having the baby clipped makes it easier to catch should the need arise. Just my humble opinion.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
just fyi... this person is totally against clipping, has a great relationship with her birds, and is a big linnie person who keeps hers flighted in the home...

linnieworld - YouTube
Can she handle her linnies though? Do they enjoy scritches? Its great if she is happy watching them fly and be in pairs. Watching small flocks of little birds collect together and fly around the house is fun. But I didn't see a hand in any of her videos. Makes me wonder if they are in fact hand tamed.

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
My linnies had babies this year. I let the parents raise them and I handled them regularly. They are fully flighted and I have not clipped them. I find that they are much better flyers than either of their parents, preferring to flutter over to spots that their parents would climb to. If I have millet or some other food, they have no problem jumping onto my hand...although a couple generally seem to not like the sensation of going on a "squishy" perch and will squeeze my fingers a couple of times with their beak before coming on. They don't really like scritches, but I find that if linnies have other linnies, then they prefer to get their grooming from them, but they don't freak out if I lightly stroke them or touch their beaks with my hand. I don't really see a big difference between their personalities and their "hand-raised", clipped parents (now the parents can fly for 3 yrs)