• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clipping my lovebird's wings

SEMO

Moving in
Hello everyone!

Today I am going to visit a peace faced lovebird I am likely going to adopt next week. He is a year and two months old and has been fully flighted his whole life (his owner lets him fly around the house all day, even when she's not home). However, when I adopt him I want to get his wings clipped as I don't want him getting into anything he shouldn't, especially since I'm moving to an apartment with large windows that's just been newly renovated. I also have a kitty at home (he's been around birds before) but I'm worried if my lovie can fly around the house it could lead to an accident.

My main concern with clipping this little guy's wings, however, is that since he's been fully flighted for his whole life he may become depressed if his wings are clipped and may start to exhibit destructive behaviour (like feather plucking or self mutilation). If this is the case, what should I do? Should I go ahead and clip his wings, or adopt a younger lovebird and keep him flightless at all times? There is also a sweet one at my local pet store/adoption centre who is only four months that I've had my eye on.

Thank you!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Why do you want a flightless bird? It is definitely not safer for the bird, especially with a cat in the house! How will the bird escape the cat? Birds need exercise to stay healthy and the best and most natural way is through flight. Yes, your bird may become depressed or withdrawn with his main means of transportation taken from him. Wouldn't you?
You can put stickers on the windows to keep him from flying into them, or use blinds. There are many safety precautions we need to take to keep our birds safe. Clipping their wings is not one of them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Not safer for the bird, plus a bird with extra energy it can't expend is at risk for developing behavioral issues. Not a good thing for an apartment! Make the environment safer, don't cripple the bird. And many birds die because of heart disease, leading reason being lack of exercise.

Imagine walking around everywhere with your shoes tied together.

Birds in the wild forage all day for food, fly many miles, mate, and socialize with dozens of other birds. Birds in our home are only a few generations removed from the wild. Think of yourself as a zookeeper, not a pet owner. How can you best meet the needs of a wild animal? Certainly not by clipping.

SEMO

Moving in
Thank you, everyone! I will definitely reconsider clipping him. Last thing I want is to upset him or create health problems, especially considering he's been flighted his whole life.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
besides what the others stated, he Will be helpless and loose his confidence. When I adopted Fëanor from his previous owner they Clipped his wings the week before I would adopt him and didn't tell me. The first few weeks after is trained him to step up he would bite me really hard, to test if my finger was a steady place to sit on. He was just very not confident about certain things and would hurt himself when he flew because he was scared or wanted to go to me or my other lovie. He now has one flight feather on each wing and can fly 1 meter up, down, and straight about 5 meters, but only 1,5 meter coordinated. He is so much happier because he has control and knows he can fly away if he is scared.

Last edited:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, everyone! I will definitely reconsider clipping him. Last thing I want is to upset him or create health problems, especially considering he's been flighted his whole life.
What everyone else said. Don’t clip him! Take precautions to make the environment safe - closed doors, barriers, constant supervision while out - and total separation from the cat. All of my lovies are flighted.

(Also, clipping his wings won’t mean he can’t escape or get into trouble.)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, and he could actually hurt himself MORE by losing flight. Falling could cause him to crack his keel bone, for instance, and as stated, he can't get away from the cat if needed.

I have lived in various apartments with birds and cats for 6 years. I have never had to clip anyone.