• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clipping after being flighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I don't like the thought of pulling out feathers, but I do think it's important to learn how in case your bird ever breaks a blood feather and you need to pull it out. Though I would never ever pull them out just to regain flight faster.

kaylayuh

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
I don't like the thought of pulling out feathers, but I do think it's important to learn how in case your bird ever breaks a blood feather and you need to pull it out. Though I would never ever pull them out just to regain flight faster.
This was one of the things I youtubed shortly after getting CB, but I'm still not sure I could do it effectively. I don't feel like I could really see what was being done and I'm not sure I really understood it. If anyone has any suggestions on where to find a good source, it'd be great.

As for CB, he seems to be fine now. He isn't as fiesty as he normally is though. Typically he is quite independant and actively plays by himself. Today he's been really clingly and wanting cuddles. He seems rather sedate. I know I sometimes say I wish he was calmer, but I don't know if I like this change.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Other than pulling a broken blood feather if I can't stop the bleeding by other means, I would contemplate plucking out feathers about the same time that I decide someone should pull out large chunks of my hair.

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
Figured I'd post an update.

The foster has the birds and only CB was clipped. Though I am now regretting that decision because my budgie is flying around Mt. Airy, NC somewhere. If anyone knows of how to get the bird back, it'd be really helpful. I've called animal control and wildlife services and no one was able to help. There are no rescues in the area that can help. She has Pigpen in a small cage in the large cage outside with food and water. I'm hoping he flies back down as it starts getting dark.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Why didn't she just keep the birds inside the cage? How terribly terribly sad:(:(:(

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
Why didn't she just keep the birds inside the cage? How terribly terribly sad:(:(:(
Apparently he was in the cage while she was outside cleaning them. I have no idea how to get him back and I'm four hours away with no car. Logically, I know that budgies who get out likely have a death sentence. And he's not hand friendly, so there's even less of a chance of someone helping him.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no,I'm so sorry. I so hope that someone is able to catch him.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry :( How sad. I hope he is found!

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
I've posted him on parrotalert. I've tried animal control and they are unwilling or unable to help. I have no idea what else to do.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
I've posted him on parrotalert. I've tried animal control and they are unwilling or unable to help. I have no idea what else to do.
Try posting on Craigslist in the area he was lost. I've seen many "lost parakeet" ads lately, but also a couple "found" ones too.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Have you searched for bird clubs in the are or posted on Craigslist? He knows that people=food so someone might be able to catch him. It's also the best time of year for it to happen. I think there's a rescue in north Carolina. It may be out of their area, but the might still know someone that can help.

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Phone all vets in the area and let them know, they should have a lost/found list in the clinic so that if a budgie is brought in matching your description they can phone you. :) Also, you can check if any of the local papers/radio stations have lost/found pet alerts - you might find some do and it would be worth putting a notice up with those sorts of places, lots of people listen to the radio so it's a good way to get word out.

I'm so sorry to hear that the worst case scenario has happened so soon after you left your birds with the foster family. It would have been equally likely to happen had your budgie been clipped though, as a budgie that has been flighted for over a year will be an exceptionally strong flier. Hopefully the foster carer has learnt an important lesson about cleaning cages outside with the birds still in them, i just wish it hadn't of been at the loss of your little budgie. :(

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
Have you searched for bird clubs in the are or posted on Craigslist? He knows that people=food so someone might be able to catch him. It's also the best time of year for it to happen. I think there's a rescue in north Carolina. It may be out of their area, but the might still know someone that can help.
I've posted on parrotalert.com and have just posted on Craigslist. I will be posting everywhere and anywhere I can think of until he is found. I'll be calling vets in the area as ~birdybea~ below mentioned. Anything I can do to get him back will most definitely be done.

I did call the Companion Parrot Rehomed rescue but they are too far out of the area. I've called animal control and wildlife rehabs, the SPCA, and any other animal related listing in the yellowpages.com. None have been able to help. :(

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Kaela, that is terrible news. I hope your budgie is found.

Keep his cage outside, with door open and food, water available. Best thing is to have flyers with picture and description and saturate your area with them, distributing them in an ever widening circle. After a week passes and if no luck, re-check with all the pet stores, vets and shelters that you checked with the previous week and keep this up till found. Newspaper adds, parrot alert postings, announcements on local radio stations, etc.

Via another forum, I know two Aussies who kept up the pressure up (with flyers, notices etc). One had someone see a flyer (the owner only put that particular flyer up 2 weeks before his return, and by then it was 6 months since the escape). The bird was found to be living with someone 22km (13 miles) from home. The other owner had his bird returned after 3 months, so don't give up.

In the meantime I'd get padlocks on all doors of the cages of your other 2 birds. We have padlocks on door and feed doors of our outdoor aviary so that neighbour's kids coming into our yard can't be tempted to play with the pretty budgies. How silly, to clean a cage outdoors that still has a fully flighted bird in it. I hope it is good lesson learned but I'm sorry you and your budgie are the one's paying the price.

Fingers crossed for a safe return,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
It is now dark outside and he typically goes back to his cage as soon as the sun starts setting. I've yet to get word about where he is, and as far as I know they have not been actively looking for him.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
They should be standing guard of that tree where he's been spotted. If he flies off, at least they have a chance of seeing the direction if someone is always watching him.

I hope he makes it down to his cage with the onset of darkness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.