• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clipping after being flighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaylayuh

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
I will be moving into an intern house for three months, and unfortunately I can't have the birds there. I have a foster lined up for them, but she feels clipping them would be safest in her home. I'm inclined to agree as she has small kids and they are notorious for leaving doors open and the like. She also doesn't have flighted parrots and I'm not too inclined to let my guys be a learning experience. I would also feel safer knowing they're clipped and I could more easily get to them if they escape while I'm driving through a couple of new states.

The problem is this: My three have not been clipped since I've had them. They were all clipped when I got them, but I've let their flights grow in and it's been well over a year for two since they've been unable to fly. It's been nearly two years since Pigpen has been clipped. I'm worried about clipping them and having them attempt to fly and hurt themselves. And I'm not entirely sure how to prevent that from happening.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. Also: if you were having someone foster your birds, what would you send along? They will obviously be going with their cages and cage accessories, as well as a bulk container of food. But what else would you send along? I've written up a care sheet, but I don't know if I'm missing anything important.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
It's going to take some time but I would start looking for some qualified individual who can handle your birds without clipping them! How sad that you would have to get them clipped!

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
It's going to take some time but I would start looking for some qualified individual who can handle your birds without clipping them! How sad that you would have to get them clipped!
I would love to find someone to foster that wouldn't require that I clip, but time isn't a luxury I have at this point. I did the interview last week and I'm moving Monday, so there's not a lot of time to search for a new foster that I feel comfortable with and trust. I know her and trust that she will take excellent care of my babies, despite the fact that they will need to be clipped.

I really do feel guilty about having to clip them, though.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
If you must clip them and you have the time, I would do it gradually. Take a few flights off of each wing at a time and let them get used to flying without them and then take a few more. I'm not sure what kind of birds we're talking about here but since it's been such a long time since they've been clipped, it may take a more severe clip to keep them more grounded since they have the muscles to fly. How long will they be with the foster home and does she know how to check for new feather growth and how to clip new feathers that come in. It won't be successful if she doesn't know how to do those two things unless it isn't going to be an extended stay. I wish you the best of luck.

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
If you must clip them and you have the time, I would do it gradually. Take a few flights off of each wing at a time and let them get used to flying without them and then take a few more. I'm not sure what kind of birds we're talking about here but since it's been such a long time since they've been clipped, it may take a more severe clip to keep them more grounded since they have the muscles to fly. How long will they be with the foster home and does she know how to check for new feather growth and how to clip new feathers that come in. It won't be successful if she doesn't know how to do those two things unless it isn't going to be an extended stay. I wish you the best of luck.
I have three little guys: two budgies and a green cheek conure. I know they will definitely be able to fly, though not as well and with extra effort, even with the clip. The foster is aware of this as well. Unfortunately, while I would love to do gradual clips, I definitely won't have the time to do it. All three have an appointment to have nails trimmed and wings clipped on Friday, and Piper is getting his beak done as well. We leave Monday morning, so there's not time to get another appointment in there for it to be done.

The foster does have three birds of her own, and those three are clipped. She does know how to check for new feather growth and takes her own to be groomed fairly often. As they will only be with her from May 14 to August 15, I'm hoping that they won't require subsequent clips and will regrow their flights fairly quickly.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If she feels her house is unsafe for a flighted bird because kids leave door over, then her house must be even more unsafe for a clipped bird. I would immediately look for a new foster home.

JackDele

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
I think you should clip them yourself. That way you can do it gradually and you can check at each stage to see whether further clipping is needed. Have you ever clipped before? It's a lot easier with the littlies because they fit in the palm of one hand. I'd be happy to coach you thru it :)

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
I think you should clip them yourself. That way you can do it gradually and you can check at each stage to see whether further clipping is needed. Have you ever clipped before? It's a lot easier with the littlies because they fit in the palm of one hand. I'd be happy to coach you thru it :)
:scared3: I have definitely never clipped before, though I've looked at videos (so sad!) and read how to do it. I'm afraid they'd move and I'd clip something I wasn't supposed to and really hurt them. Though, at this point, I may consider doing it just to ensure that it's not too much of a shock to them. I feel like clipping is going to ruin my relationship with them and when I get them back, they'll hate me. :(

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
Just a thought, but are their cages pretty big? Maybe the flight cages many use? If so, could they just be in the cages while being fostered? Perhaps send them with lots of toys, and buy some online and have them shipped periodically during their stay so they could have tons of variety in their cages. Would that be the best way to keep them safe and "intact", or do you think it would be too hard on them?
Like I said, just a thought.

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
Just a thought, but are their cages pretty big? Maybe the flight cages many use? If so, could they just be in the cages while being fostered? Perhaps send them with lots of toys, and buy some online and have them shipped periodically during their stay so they could have tons of variety in their cages. Would that be the best way to keep them safe and "intact", or do you think it would be too hard on them?
Like I said, just a thought.
They have cages pretty similar to the A&E flight cages. I'm pretty sure they're the exact same dimensions and they're very similar aesthetically. Do you think it would be too traumatic for them to go from being out most of the day to being cages for three months? They're only really in the cages to sleep and on the occasions where I need to go somewhere.

JackDele

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
Ultimately, no matter what you decide, this will be stressful on your birds as it involves change. It's about minimising the stress by minimising the change. Clipping is very easy with instruction. But it involves change. So does keeping them caged the whole time. You know your birds best so you need to decide what's best for them. How social are they? If they dislike strangers, then it may be better to leave them flighted in their cages like Dawn suggested. If they're more social, they may prefer to be out and thus clipped.

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
Ultimately, no matter what you decide, this will be stressful on your birds as it involves change. It's about minimising the stress by minimising the change. Clipping is very easy with instruction. But it involves change. So does keeping them caged the whole time. You know your birds best so you need to decide what's best for them. How social are they? If they dislike strangers, then it may be better to leave them flighted in their cages like Dawn suggested. If they're more social, they may prefer to be out and thus clipped.
CB is very social and loves being with people. Piper is social when he wants to be and he flies to me to hang out. Pigpen hates the world and everything in it, but she loves to play with her out of cage toys. I've felt really guilty the times I've traveled and they've been in their cages for 4 or 5 days with a pet sitter, I'm not sure how well I'd be able to handle knowing they were in cages and couldn't be out with people. I really wish I had more time to figure out which was best for them.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
If you decided to go the "stay in the cage route", then start today leaving them in their cages for more time. Add to it each day before you go (I know you don't have much time). When they move to the foster's home, it wil be a whole new environment, so staying in may just be "normal" for them in that place.
On the other hand, if you decide to clip, you should start that today just trimming a couple of flights on each wing, then gradually trimming more over the next several days so they can adjust.
I think if it were me, I'd opt for the leave-them-in category. At least I'd feel they were safe...not ideal, but safe.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award

CB is very social and loves being with people. Piper is social when he wants to be and he flies to me to hang out. Pigpen hates the world and everything in it, but she loves to play with her out of cage toys. I've felt really guilty the times I've traveled and they've been in their cages for 4 or 5 days with a pet sitter, I'm not sure how well I'd be able to handle knowing they were in cages and couldn't be out with people. I really wish I had more time to figure out which was best for them.
If I were you, I would leave Pigpen in her cage. Just getting her restrained to clip will likely be more stress than its worth. Those cages are ample space (she's a budgie, right?) and since she's not tame, being out of the cage but clipped might not be as much fun anyway. Clip the others if you must, but remember that GCCs and Budgies are light bodied birds and very strong fliers. They will still be able to fly somewhat even with an appropriate clip. Don't let them take too much off. Your birds will adjust, since it sounds like they've spent their early life with clipped wings.

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
I think if it were me, I'd opt for the leave-them-in category. At least I'd feel they were safe...not ideal, but safe.
Honestly, I think I'm going to feel really guilty with either of those decisions. With clipping, I'll feel like I'm depriving them of their natural right, not to mention all of the health benefits of the exercise flight provides. If I decide to leave them in their cages, not only will they be lacking in exercise, but they'll also lack companionship. On top of that, I feel guilty for needing to leave them at all.

I know I've got to factor her kids into the equation, too. They're younger, but they both handle (or try to handle) the birds already in the home. I'm not sure if it's realistic to expect that the kids aren't ever going to attempt to open the cages if I decide to leave them unclipped and caged. I feel like there's an added risk just with the kids alone and their propensity to want to be in everything. If the kids decide to open the cage and they're unclipped and a door is open or a fan is on.. wham, the bird is gone or dead.

I really have no idea. :tmsmakesme:

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award

Honestly, I think I'm going to feel really guilty with either of those decisions. With clipping, I'll feel like I'm depriving them of their natural right, not to mention all of the health benefits of the exercise flight provides. If I decide to leave them in their cages, not only will they be lacking in exercise, but they'll also lack companionship. On top of that, I feel guilty for needing to leave them at all.

I know I've got to factor her kids into the equation, too. They're younger, but they both handle (or try to handle) the birds already in the home. I'm not sure if it's realistic to expect that the kids aren't ever going to attempt to open the cages if I decide to leave them unclipped and caged. I feel like there's an added risk just with the kids alone and their propensity to want to be in everything. If the kids decide to open the cage and they're unclipped and a door is open or a fan is on.. wham, the bird is gone or dead.

I really have no idea. :tmsmakesme:
Does she have a room that is out of the main traffic area of the house where your birds could stay? Even if it is a laundry room or finished basement or something. If there are no doors directly leading outside, it should be pretty easy to leave them flighted. As we all know, clipping doesn't prevent escape, those kids will still have to be watched extremely vigilantly. My concern would be that it gives them a false sense of security; if they know the birds can fly, they will be more careful. And like I said, your birds will be very strong fliers.

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
My concern would be that it gives them a false sense of security; if they know the birds can fly, they will be more careful. And like I said, your birds will be very strong fliers.
That's one of my concerns, too. With the kids, I'm mainly concered about the toddler. I don't have my own kids and I haven't been around many, so I'm afraid the three year old will be told not to open the cage but do it anyway. And while I know she doesn't let the kid have free roam of the house, I do know that kids can be sneaky!

I'll have to ask about a room without a lot of traffic. I know for sure he has room to keep my guys quarantined for at least a month, but I'm not sure how big her house is and how realistic it is for her to find room for them somewhere where they don't spend a lot of time.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I know that any decision you make will feel like the wrong one but please don't beat yourself up over this. Birds are much more resiliant than we give them credit for. Honestly, I think I would probably go for leaving them fully flighted and in their cage if you have little kids involved and your birds aren't used to them. I'm phobic about little kids and small birds getting stepped on and no matter what kind of clip you give them, they will be able to fly and probably still fly pretty well.

Clipping isn't hard to do though and they do get over it if you decide to go that route. Flights grow back too. I wish you well in which ever decision you go with.

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
I know that any decision you make will feel like the wrong one but please don't beat yourself up over this. Birds are much more resiliant than we give them credit for. Honestly, I think I would probably go for leaving them fully flighted and in their cage if you have little kids involved and your birds aren't used to them. I'm phobic about little kids and small birds getting stepped on and no matter what kind of clip you give them, they will be able to fly and probably still fly pretty well.

Clipping isn't hard to do though and they do get over it if you decide to go that route. Flights grow back too. I wish you well in which ever decision you go with.
I'm definitely trying not to beat myself up over this, but it's hard because I want them to be healthy and happy.

Small kids and animals of any kind make me nervous, but especially birds. There are just so many things that can go wrong. They can get out and never be found, stepped on, squeezed to tightly, etc. But given the choice between the person I chose to foster and my father who also offered to foster, I feel safer taking the risk with the kids. My parents had an M2 for years before I was born and then decided one day they would kill him with bleach because they no longer could deal with him. I don't want to put my birds in a situation where I don't know that wouldn't happen. At least with my current person, I know they would never do that and will love my birds as much as I do.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Just want to send you :hug8::hug8:

I know this must be very stressful for you but like Jen said they will be ok and adjust. I would personally leave them in their cages because even clipped birds can fly out the door. Can't she keep them in the quarantine room for the entire time?

Status
Not open for further replies.