• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Climbing Net

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I could really use this thread!!
I've seen some that are $85, and the cheapest I've seen is around $30 (including shipping).

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I you-tubed it...and we made Duckys for his play gym. It was fairly easy! Adding toys would not be too hard. :D

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, boy, it feels like there's some kind of "flock" thing goin on in here sometimes.... :lol:
I've had the same response to the OUTrageous prices for ROPE net toys. I couldn't believe it!! I feel like people take advantage of pet owners sometimes....my sis buys all kinds of rope for her ranch, and its dirt cheap. I don't like greedy people. So, I would never buy from them- and being a creative artistic person-who-creates-stuff I'm stubborn enough to make my own! :dancing:

I especially feel for the Big Mac owners....they seem to be held hostage to an outrageous toy budget!
*ok, done rant*

Can you include the link here? For future reference?
I really can't afford to pay almost $100 (including shipping) for a rope net!
I'm sure some people can, but it's not an option for me.

Last edited:

crystaljam

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
Just piping in here about vendors who DO make rope nets.

I didn't have the time to make my own rope net, so I proudly purchased mine from Oliver's Garden - her work is superb. They will last us for many years to come.

You are paying for the quality of the materials and the workmanship & pride put into her nets.

During My one and only net attempt, I gave up one hour in. I'm very much a perfectionist, and was happy to purchase my Crawler.

Please don't put down those who do make Nets as part of their living - it is an art and skill. Appreciate the hours they put into each and every one.

There are plenty of simple DIY net projects out there for those who choose to make them on their own. I applaud those who successfully make them :)

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award

I didn't have the time to make my own rope net, so I proudly purchased mine from Oliver's Garden - her work is superb. They will last us for many years to come.

You are paying for the quality of the materials and the workmanship & pride put into her nets.

During My one and only net attempt, I gave up one hour in. I'm very much a perfectionist, and was happy to purchase my Crawler.

Please don't put down those who do make Nets as part of their living - it is an art and skill. Appreciate the hours they put into each and every one.

There are plenty of simple DIY net projects out there for those who choose to make them on their own. I applaud those who successfully make them :)
My apologies if I insulted anyone! I'm sure those nets were extremely well-made.
(I edited my previous post. :) Thanks for your post!)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Some people are not as creative to create a net or have such busy lives that they don't have the time. Material is not always easy to find as it can't be treated. A lot of rope found at stores is not acceptable for our birds and some not sure what can be bought or even where to buy it. I think it is great that you are able to make your own.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Some people are not as creative to create a net or have such busy lives that they don't have the time. Material is not always easy to find as it can't be treated. A lot of rope found at stores is not acceptable for our birds and some not sure what can be bought or even where to buy it. I think it is great that you are able to make your own.

I'll second being careful about materials selected, so many "treated" types of rope out there that aren't good.

I did purchase my nets, but did hunt down some deals which I'll admit makes it easier on the wallet :)

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll second being careful about materials selected, so many "treated" types of rope out there that aren't good.

I did purchase my nets, but did hunt down some deals which I'll admit makes it easier on the wallet :)
Love your blog. :) Lea is adorable!!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I have searched up and down for untreated abaca and manila ropes, sent countless emails to manufacturers, but none could promise me that they were untreated, un-oiled, and chemical free. If that link really is as you say, I'd be interested, as that is a super low price.

That aside, high quality heavy cotton rope really isn't all that cheap either. I calculated that my large Crawler from Oliver's Garden must've used at least 40-50 feet of cotton rope; probably more for all the detailing and the knots. That same site sells 1" cotton rope for $1.37/ft. So for 50 feet, that'd be $68.50. Shipping is likely very expensive because this rope is VERY heavy. She also added welded stainless steel o-rings to the corners and other parts of my net for toy hanging purposes. So base cost is already in the $70s at a minimum. A 50% markup, then, would be at least $140. She markets them for $135, not including when they go on sale.

I'd also like to add that I made my own climbing net as well. Here is my late budgie, Charles, on it:

This one didn't cost too much for me to make because I only used 3/8" sisal (smaller diameters are much less expensive) and not too much, and then some bottlebrush parts, but as you can see, it's really narrow. Well, that's because making these knots killed my hands and also took a LONG LONG time!! After attempting to do it myself and make it even a quarter as aesthetically pleasing as the ones I saw online, I gave up and just bought the ones online.

kimmie99

Real Name
Kim Gibson
That's me - while I'm creative and can do or at least try most anything, it's the time that's put into those that I just don't seem to have. Now if I could clone myself .... OOPS sorry, daydreaming there. Plus add the materials and so forth! I'm hoping to get some Christmas $$$ to splurge on one (or maybe have time after the Holidays to make, yeah right, who's kidding' who here)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I guess what my post is trying to say, is: don't knock it 'til you try it! Because I've tried it, twice actually, and it's not easy. Like a lot of people in this thread, I like to think that if I can do just as good job and for cheaper, might as well. And sure, there are plenty of people here who make their own nets, and I admire their creativity and dedication. But I still don't think I've seen any that match Oliver's Garden's aesthetically, and that might be a silly reason to buy something for a parrot, but @ArtBird, I know that's a consideration for you too ;) They are also INCREDIBLY well made!! Their weight is heavy and they are strong and durable. And, Susan will make you a custom one in sisal or in a different size or whatever your heart desires. I have a Large Crawler for Lola and a Small One for Sabrina and still think both were excellent purchases.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
What you are mostly paying for is the vendor's time, and trust me when I say they are time consuming! I bet there is little profit TBH.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I have searched up and down for untreated abaca and manila ropes, sent countless emails to manufacturers, but none could promise me that they were untreated, un-oiled, and chemical free. If that link really is as you say, I'd be interested, as that is a super low price.

That aside, high quality heavy cotton rope really isn't all that cheap either. I calculated that my large Crawler from Oliver's Garden must've used at least 40-50 feet of cotton rope; probably more for all the detailing and the knots. That same site sells 1" cotton rope for $1.37/ft. So for 50 feet, that'd be $68.50. Shipping is likely very expensive because this rope is VERY heavy. She also added welded stainless steel o-rings to the corners and other parts of my net for toy hanging purposes. So base cost is already in the $70s at a minimum. A 50% markup, then, would be at least $140. She markets them for $135, not including when they go on sale.

I'd also like to add that I made my own climbing net as well. Here is my late budgie, Charles, on it:

This one didn't cost too much for me to make because I only used 3/8" sisal (smaller diameters are much less expensive) and not too much, and then some bottlebrush parts, but as you can see, it's really narrow. Well, that's because making these knots killed my hands and also took a LONG LONG time!! After attempting to do it myself and make it even a quarter as aesthetically pleasing as the ones I saw online, I gave up and just bought the ones online.
Cute- he looks like he likes it. Sennit- another name for abaca or manila rope. There are Philippines distributors online. Here is a braided 3/4" rope at 150' for $28.
Sennit Rope 3/4 inch
I don't really like the cotton rope ones, I think the natural sisal, hemp etc look more like "jungle vine.." what the birds might find climbing a cliff in the forest...lol
Did you see the link to the really sweet net pattern where no knots were tied?

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Please don't put down those who do make Nets as part of their living - it is an art and skill.
I was not actually "putting down" anyone or their art or skill.
I was voicing my valid opinion about PRICE. (ie complaining)lol
I do think that $168 for a rope toy is outrageous, and many people do. I can see that you are being a loyal and good friend and that you dont mind paying $135 for a cotton rope toy for your bird from someone else that makes it. . Not everyone can afford that, nor does everyone think its a fair price. I'm probably so hot about this because I really wanted one of the abaca nets for my Sennie, until I started seeing the prices, and with everything else parrot owners have to buy to keep birds safe & healthy, I did not appreciate the outrageous prices on some of the toys as well. I buy things that in my estimation, are fairly priced.
Your friends cotton nets are less expensive than some.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Cute- he looks like he likes it. Sennit- another name for abaca or manila rope. There are Philippines distributors online. Here is a braided 3/4" rope at 150' for $28.
Sennit Rope 3/4 inch
I don't really like the cotton rope ones, I think the natural sisal, hemp etc look more like "jungle vine.." what the birds might find climbing a cliff in the forest...lol
Did you see the link to the really sweet net pattern where no knots were tied?

Well do keep in mind that Susan makes sisal ones as well. :) I think you'll find it *quite* very beautiful: Upgraded play area | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I saw the link and Allison did an awesome job. But just for my personal preferences, aesthetically, I think Susan's take the cake :)

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I guess what my post is trying to say, is: don't knock it 'til you try it! Because I've tried it, twice actually, and it's not easy. Like a lot of people in this thread, I like to think that if I can do just as good job and for cheaper, might as well. And sure, there are plenty of people here who make their own nets, and I admire their creativity and dedication. But I still don't think I've seen any that match Oliver's Garden's aesthetically, and that might be a silly reason to buy something for a parrot, but @ArtBird, I know that's a consideration for you too ;) They are also INCREDIBLY well made!! Their weight is heavy and they are strong and durable. And, Susan will make you a custom one in sisal or in a different size or whatever your heart desires. I have a Large Crawler for Lola and a Small One for Sabrina and still think both were excellent purchases.
Do you think I'm being hard on the price aspect? Thats all I'm really complaining about, not any particular vendors at all, not the quality, how they're made etc.... Actually it was no one here that got my feathers in a ruff...it was several ones online. $160, $180....I didn't even know about O.G. until this thread. I was delighted to learn we could make them esp. without knots!