• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Clicking noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovieLuvr

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Whenever I go near Lilo's cage to say "hi" and give her a treat she begins rapidly clicking her beak and does a high pitch chirp. Sometimes her feathers behind her neck stick up, and she "wags" her tail really fast. I always thought that when feathers stick up that it's a sign of aggression, and the tail wag was a sign that she's happy to see me. She's hasn't been aggressive towards me yet so im sort of confused.

Then tonight when I was putting her to bed Lilo came to the front of the cage close to my face clicking her beak and chirping again. (she never comes towards me) During the clicking and chirping, she opened her beak wide and wagged her tail. Im so confused if she's being aggressive or just in a weird mood. I'm going to try and take a video since it seems hard to describe her noises. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4isEnough

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ellina
My eclectus recently started doing this also, except she squats and bobs her tail. She lets me scratch her neck and makes clicking sounds when I do. I think she is in season and being "sexy" with me. Maybe that's what it is?

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Those are the moves my male eyerings make when they're, oh how shall I say it...."in the mood". lol

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
The tail movement sounds familar--- That was the "invitation" I used to receive from the late Herbie, the wonder canary hen!!!

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Are you sure Lilo is a girl? While girls can make this noise, it's usually when a male is present and they are copying the male. It is more typical of a male making this noise, which is called the mating dance. :heart: :lol:

Marc

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marco
It is a little bit strange the clicking sound that she does; Anyway if she doesn't bite you then it means it's not an aggressive behaviour;
I deem she loves you and she does it for courting you;

Marc

Real Name
Marco
I forgot to add...
I would be curious to see this dance..so if you have the possibility to post a video then I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Thanks everyone! I'm trying to see if she will do it again, but she gets shy when I pull out the camera. I do have video of her doing the clicking noise. And I don't really know if Lilo is actually a girl. I'm too much of a chicken to get a DNA test :(

christina

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christina
This sounds exactly like what my Kiwi does. In fact I'm unsure she's a girl because of this behaviour. She does it when we're hanging out together and I start to sing to her or make birdy sounds. She'll strut back and forth on my shoulder/onto my chest then make the clicking sounds whilst bobbing her head and shaking her tail feathers. Then she'll kiss me or attempt to give me some throw up (gross). She doesn't do this with my boyfriend who she's far more attached to, but I think it's cause I'm the only one of the two who sings to her. Now I've read this thread I'm almost positive she is actually a he! O_O

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
This is breeding season, and my two proven males are exhibiting all of the behaviours posted on this thread. It is definitely sexual behaviours, especially the regurgitation, clicking sounds with half open beak, tail wagging, head bobbing and fluffing of the body feathers. It's LOVE :heart:

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
This is what she starts doing...but Lilo didn't do the "tail wag" this time. You have to listen really close for the clicking noise when she moves her beak

[video=youtube;4zGeWr5en-8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zGeWr5en-8&feature=context&context=C4e24524ADvjVQa1PpcFMr9t oLuE4eC9vG9Mz_RaYlJo-rM0fQH64=[/video]

You have to listen really hard for the clicking noise when she rapidly moves her beak.
[video=youtube;V1-7-bSQnc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1-7-bSQnc8&context=C4e24524ADvjVQa1PpcFMr9toLuE4eC9vG9 Mz_RaYlJo-rM0fQH64=[/video]

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
I wanted to add that Lilo is still very skittish around me. She only likes to be near me from a distance (like I'm on the couch and she's on her playgym that is about 2 feet away from me) and if I approach her she will go back into her cage. Occasionally she will stay close if her cage bars are in the way. I only hold her if she flies to the floor and lets me pick her up. Then she will sit on my knee for a long time.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
When I first got Trinket he used to tick like a time bomb, it scared me so bad I took him to the vet. What that noise was, was him telling me he loved me and the fluff and tail shake means he was happy.

Ginger

redlored

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kim
I have heard that grinding the beak (or maybe clicking) could just be a sign that she is content. I am no expert, by far. Maybe someone with more experience can answer your question. She does look very happy though and she is beautiful!

Marc

Real Name
Marco
I saw the videos; she/he seems to be very happy rather than angry;
Thus I would definitely rule out the aggressive behaviour.
As for the DNA test you can do it even if she/he is very young.
The test works regardless by the age of the birds;

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I'm willing to bet money that she's giving you some naughty signals. When I first noticed Beep doing this; she'd be at the bottom of the cage, "dancing" on a paper towel and clicking her beak and eventually...raising her tail and spreading her wings (I call it the airplane). And I was pretty mortified when I realized this was a sort of mating dance lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.