• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning

Dan Ruggiero

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dan
How do you guys clean poops? What cleaning products do you use to clean the cage and surrounding area that are bird safe? Do you guys bring your cages outside and water them down? What if you cant bring it outside?

Thanks for the help!

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I normally just wipe it down with some dish soap (Dawn) and warm water.... before I do this I vacuum it out. A few times a year I bring it outside and use a steam cleaner on it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I tip the tray contents (papers, seeds etc) in a binbag (trashbag), then wipe out the tray with my homemade multi purpose cleaner (dishsoap/water). I use the same cleaner and a cloth and wipe out the cage and grid.

Every week (or two in the winter) I scrub down the cages with ACV, dishsoap and hot water in my shower. Towel dry.

Dan Ruggiero

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dan
I tip the tray contents (papers, seeds etc) in a binbag (trashbag), then wipe out the tray with my homemade multi purpose cleaner (dishsoap/water). I use the same cleaner and a cloth and wipe out the cage and grid.

Every week (or two in the winter) I scrub down the cages with ACV, dishsoap and hot water in my shower.
So soap is safe for birds? Just some Dawn and water is good for the cage? What is ACV?

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I hope the soap is safe, I've been using it for three years now! I just make sure to wipe it down afterwards to remove the soap residue.

Dan Ruggiero

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Dan
I hope the soap is safe, I've been using it for three years now! I just make sure to wipe it down afterwards to remove the soap residue.
Yeah,I'm going to have to wipe it down thoroughly I wouldn't want my bird to eat some soap residue!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
So soap is safe for birds? Just some Dawn and water is good for the cage? What is ACV?
Dawn is safe as long as you rinse it off with water, or a wet cloth. ACV stands for apple cider vinegar.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Great question!

I only clean with:
- a damp microfine cloth
- sink brush
- cleaning brush (heavy duty)
- dustpan and brush set (Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips Dustpan and Brush Set: Home & Kitchen
- dust buster (Amazon.com - BLACK+DECKER BDH2000PL MAX Lithium Pivot Vacuum, 20-volt -
- putty knife (for the dried up poop)
- a spray bottle with diluted vinegar (in my opinion is soap not really needed, it removes the smells if there are any, and is bird and environment friendly).

I added those links because I really like the products. And because cleaning is not my favorite thing to do I'd like to make it as easy and efficient as I can.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes ACV has a strong odor but it dissipates quickly. I put some in the drinking water once per month for yeast prophylaxis. Which means as a precaution.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I had been using f-10 for general cleaning and disinfecting. I now use dawn and a blue scrub sponge for regular cleaning and the f-10 for disinfecting.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I use water/vinegar and a cloth to clean poop off hard surfaces outside the cage, and dish soap and water to clean soft surfaces.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Are soft surfaces like couches and beds? And hard surfaces are tables and floors?
Yep! We've also got the couch covered in blankets for easy cleaning in the washing machine about once a week

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I clean the bird cages and vacuum around them every day. For cleaning I use 50/50 water and vinegar. I wipe the cage down and clean off all the poop, and I change the cage papers and wipe down the bottom tray. Every day the food and water bowls get washed in the dishwasher or by hand. Every once in a while I disinfect with F10.