• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures cleaning my tiels' oily cheeks

Jason Wong

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jason Wong
Hi!

So on a suggestion from our avian vet, we put the prime nutrients/vitamin mix into flax seed oil and put an 1/8th of a tsp into their dry food. the only problem is that it makes their cheeks dirty and a bit matted and we can tell that they're bothered by it. they shake their heads a lot and one of them is cranky lately. we've tried holding them in a washcloth and comb with a mascara brush but they are very unhappy and they bite on the brush.

what can we do?

Thanks!

Jason IMG_20190215_175812.jpg

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I wouldn't use a mascara brush unless it's never been in mascara or anything at all. You could mist them or offer them a bath :) And if they let you scritch their cheek feathers, you could do so once they are wet

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
If your bird eats vegetables, ask your vet if the vitamins can be sprinkled on them instead?

Jason Wong

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jason Wong
Thanks for the ideas everyone much appreciated! that brush has never touched mascara. right now they don't trust the brush or us touching their faces so we're just going to work on getting them more comfortable with pets and then try that. they don't really seem to like baths so i usually spray them with some water but that probably won't help with the cheeks. and spraying soapy water isn't viable. but yeah maybe i'll try giving them their vitamins in different ways instead. Thanks!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Never use soap on birds, just in case you didn't know. Spraying them with water sounds like the best option :) Even though it may not work you should try it and you may be surprised

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Dawn dish detergent removes oil. That is what they use on birds that get caught in oil spills in water.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Dawn dish detergent removes oil. That is what they use on birds that get caught in oil spills in water.
just remember to avoid the eyes and rinse well :] I've used soap on my birds feet before, when she flew into one of my dirty pans by the sink, or walked into her own poop.

Last edited:

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Thanks for the ideas everyone much appreciated! that brush has never touched mascara. right now they don't trust the brush or us touching their faces so we're just going to work on getting them more comfortable with pets and then try that. they don't really seem to like baths so i usually spray them with some water but that probably won't help with the cheeks. and spraying soapy water isn't viable. but yeah maybe i'll try giving them their vitamins in different ways instead. Thanks!
Before I knew pellets existed, I gave my budgies vitamins by sprinkling the dry vitamin powder on the wet fresh veges. now that I have had them on pellets for the past 6 years , they dont need vitamins, pellets have the vitamins most birds need :] only exception would be perhaps breeding birds, and laying females may need extra calcium then. There is pellets specialized for breeding birds too.

I got my budgies to transition to pellets by grinding them up and sprinkling like i did with the vitamins. Then after 3 days, i didn't finely grind the pellets, but crushed them with a spoon and sprinkled half crushed pellets on the vegetables. when i noticed they were trying the pellet pieces I then put regular sized pellets on top of the vegetables. Then when they ate them i put a new bowl with just pellets.