• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cipro Duration?

SD1030

Strolling the yard
My cockatiel has been diagnosed with a mild upper respiratory infection, and he’s currently on Cipro. The vet said that I could go 17 days or even longer if I wanted to.

Is there a max duration for Cipro? I’ve heard 21 days?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My birds when faced with very bad infections were on antibiotics for very long period of time. It depends on how ingrained the infection is. Stopping too soon is as bad as keeping giving it too long. I wish your vet would give you more precise instructions.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
My birds when faced with very bad infections were on antibiotics for very long period of time. It depends on how ingrained the infection is. Stopping too soon is as bad as keeping giving it too long. I wish your vet would give you more precise instructions.
Thanks for getting back to me. Yes he said to continue for 17 days, and I called again and said if I could continue for another week passed that and they said that’s okay. But I’m just worried that past the 21 day mark is too long?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Is the Cipro oral or injections? And is it Cipro (ciprofloxicin) or is it Baytril (enrofloxicin) - Baytril after a long period of dosage orally will cause ulcers in the crop and if injected for a long period will cause breakdown of the muscle cells around the injection site.

That long of treatment, with any antibiotic will kill all of the good flora in the crop and cause problems with digestion. You will need to give your bird a probiotic about two hours after dosing him with the antibiotic to keep him digesting his food.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
It’s oral Cipro. Yes I’ve been giving him probiotics during the entire course of treatment. Any idea how long duration can be?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If your bird is still showing symptoms of the infection, I would be concerned that the Cipro is not effective against the bacteria causing the infection, or that he has a fungal infection instead of a bacterial one. You may need to go back to the vet and have a culture and sensitivity performed. That test will identify the microbe causing the problem and the specific medication that that particular microbe is sensitive to.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
He’s doing much better overall. He’s almost entirely stopped exhibiting symptoms. I feel like he’s at least 95% better. He hasn’t had any of the respiratory hiccup symptoms for a week or so now. Just want to make sure I kill the bug completely. I know it’s sometimes tricky treating these little guys for respiratory infections.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
I just spoke to the vet, and he said to continue the Cipro for another week. That would make it for a total of 4 weeks. Isn't that a long time to be on Cipro? I'm just worried about the side effects. Any advice?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
IMO that is pretty long, but keep with your vet's advice.