• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chronic Egg Layer ignoring eggs but still nesting--should I get rid of eggs?

teachespet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessyca
Hi all,

My lovebird, Percy, is a little over 2 years old and is on her 3rd clutch of eggs. (No mate.) She has laid 4 so far and I think she will a lay a 5th one soon (). She doesnt care about the eggs at all, has not even attempted to sit on them; however she is still building her little nest at the bottom of the cage.

I've read not to remove the eggs until the bird is done with them so they are still in there, but she never cared about them in the first place--should I remove them? Would removing the nest at this point be okay, too? I'm not sure if removing eggs and/or nest would discourage or encourage her to lay more.

I'm just wanting her to be done with this clutch asap so I can try some more strategies to hopefully discourage her from a 4th clutch. ‍♀

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

teachespet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessyca
5th egg laid last night/this morning--hoping this is the last one for the cycle. Gonna move her to a room that isnt quite as warm as mine, as I read that warm weather can put them in the mood, too.