• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chop only diet possible?

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
Hello guys! I’ve been exposing my new caique to various foods, like Harrison’s, Top’s, Roudybush, seeds and chop. The little guy loves the chop. Seeing him gobble up the chop every time I offer it and his caique purring when he eats make me a little happy. Because he likes chop so much, I’m wondering if it is ok to just feed a diet of chops? I buy the chop from someone, and according to her the chop has 4-6 different grains and 6-10 different vegetables. Also may have a few nuts and seeds and herbs.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
@Mizzely and @Pixiebeak are brilliant with diet but as far as I can tell you are still best off offering some pellets just to make sure they are getting everything the need

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is it possible? Yes. There's a growing movement for a whole food diet. Jason Crean is probably one of the most popular names in this. He has a Facebook group here: Log into Facebook

However, there are some things to consider. Vitamin D3, for example, is really hard to get from chop, as there are very few vegetarian sources of it. (alfalfa, some mushrooms and some seaweeds). If your bird gets unfiltered sunlight most of the year, this night not be a concern.

What are your sources of calcium and vitamin A?

These are the things I would ensure are covered before ditching pellets altogether.

One other thing - having your bird used to eating pellets can also be good if you're traveling with them, or if you need to board your bird for any reason.

With a chop only diet, would you offer anything in-between meals?

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
Is it possible? Yes. There's a growing movement for a whole food diet. Jason Crean is probably one of the most popular names in this. He has a Facebook group here: Log into Facebook

However, there are some things to consider. Vitamin D3, for example, is really hard to get from chop, as there are very few vegetarian sources of it. (alfalfa, some mushrooms and some seaweeds). If your bird gets unfiltered sunlight most of the year, this night not be a concern.

What are your sources of calcium and vitamin A?

These are the things I would ensure are covered before ditching pellets altogether.

One other thing - having your bird used to eating pellets can also be good if you're traveling with them, or if you need to board your bird for any reason.

With a chop only diet, would you offer anything in-between meals?
Thank you for your insight.

My caique does eat pellets now, but wonder if he will “forget” pellets if I don’t feed it for a while.

For vitamin D, I do plan to bring him out frequently, and I have his cage near an open window (but not directly near). I live near the equator so sunlight isn’t a problem. For vitamin A, I’m thinking the carrots should do the job. For calcium, I’m thinking broccoli and leafy greens like bok choy.

Regarding whether to offer anything between meals, I’m wondering what’s the general consensus, is it good to have food available all the time or is it ok to feed two full meals a day?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I always have food available for my birds. If they eat all their food in their bowl, they have foraging toys for more. So you could consider putting some dried foods in foraging toys.

Windows and even window screens filter out most UVB which is what they need to make Vitamin D3. But taking him out even a few times a week for even 20 minutes will be sufficient.

I would just make sure to provide a wide variety of veggies to ensure you get all potential nutritional gaps covered. So don't just focus on carrots for his whole life, also provide other orange fruits and veggies.

Broccoli and bok choy do have calcium; one issue with dark leafy greens is that they also have oxalic acid which binds to calcium and makes it harder to extract. So offering a wide range of leafy greens will give you different calcium levels and oxalic acid levels. Sesame seeds are also a good source of calcium.

Also some nuts in the diet is beneficial; fat soluble vitamins need some fat in the diet. Walnuts, almonds, Brazil nuts, etc

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
I always have food available for my birds. If they eat all their food in their bowl, they have foraging toys for more. So you could consider putting some dried foods in foraging toys.

Windows and even window screens filter out most UVB which is what they need to make Vitamin D3. But taking him out even a few times a week for even 20 minutes will be sufficient.

I would just make sure to provide a wide variety of veggies to ensure you get all potential nutritional gaps covered. So don't just focus on carrots for his whole life, also provide other orange fruits and veggies.

Broccoli and bok choy do have calcium; one issue with dark leafy greens is that they also have oxalic acid which binds to calcium and makes it harder to extract. So offering a wide range of leafy greens will give you different calcium levels and oxalic acid levels. Sesame seeds are also a good source of calcium.

Also some nuts in the diet is beneficial; fat soluble vitamins need some fat in the diet. Walnuts, almonds, Brazil nuts, etc
Okay will take note of these things!

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
@Mizzely Hi again, I’ve recently read a bit on vitamin b12 and apparently it is hard to get that in vegan sources. If I choose to feed Top’s pellet together with chop and various seeds, what would you recommend for the b12?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely Hi again, I’ve recently read a bit on vitamin b12 and apparently it is hard to get that in vegan sources. If I choose to feed Top’s pellet together with chop and various seeds, what would you recommend for the b12?
I think it's important to remember that I'm not a nutritionist. ;) B12 is not one I've done research on so I'm not sure. If it's hard to get and it's not included in what you're feeding now, then a powdered multivitamin might be a good idea.

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
I think it's important to remember that I'm not a nutritionist. ;) B12 is not one I've done research on so I'm not sure. If it's hard to get and it's not included in what you're feeding now, then a powdered multivitamin might be a good idea.
Just an update, I’ve read that herbivores usually get their B12 from bacteria in soil and guts haha. Potentially, parrots may have the bacteria to manufacture their own B12 according to some people online. I also found a good source of B12 that my caique loves, superworms! :roflmao:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder