• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Chop Day!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It looks yummy enough that I want a bite! May I ask a question? On the frozen veggies, do you run them through the food processor while they are still frozen? I thought about using some frozen stuff but I did not know if it is feasible to run them through the processor frozen.

I usually let them soak in some lukewarm water while I prep the other ingredients so they aren't totally frozen :) Then I make sure to drain it out well so it doesn't make the whole chop soggy :)

Grace

Meeting neighbors
I usually let them soak in some lukewarm water while I prep the other ingredients so they aren't totally frozen :) Then I make sure to drain it out well so it doesn't make the whole chop soggy :)
And it is okay to refreeze them? This would enable me to give my guys a much larger variety of veggies - thank you for posting this :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
And it is okay to refreeze them? This would enable me to give my guys a much larger variety of veggies - thank you for posting this :)

Yeah I have never had a problem refreezing them. They really are only partially thawed and only for 10-15 minutes so I don't see I huge opportunity for bacterial growth :)

BirdyGirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
I'm going to try this for my guys! Thanks for sharing. I do have a silly question though... I'm assuming the beets and sweet potato need to be washed and peeled before running them through the food processor?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
May I ask a question too, please? Are the beets cooked?

It looks so good I wish I could order a batch from you! :joyful:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
May I ask a question too, please? Are the beets cooked?

It looks so good I wish I could order a batch from you! :joyful:

Haha if I knew how to make it happen... :p

I do not cook the beets. Jingo loves them raw and crunchy!

I'm going to try this for my guys! Thanks for sharing. I do have a silly question though... I'm assuming the beets and sweet potato need to be washed and peeled before running them through the food processor?

Sweet potato should be at least lightly cooked to make it easier to digest, and in that process the skin usually falls off, so that is peeled. The beets I just wash and chop up, no peeling :)

BirdyGirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
Thanks for the info! I made some last night although it didn't turn out nearly as "pretty" as yours. My three fids weren't too excited but I'm going to keep offering it to them. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks for the info! I made some last night although it didn't turn out nearly as "pretty" as yours. My three fids weren't too excited but I'm going to keep offering it to them. :)

That's all you can do :) i offer mine first thing in the morning when they are hungriest and that's all that's available for a couple hours, then I'll give in and give their pellets and nutriberry.

Grace

Meeting neighbors
When I first began serving chop to my birds, I sprinkled a small amount of seed on top of it the first day and then mixed some in for a few days after that to get them started.